Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2006, 02:10 PM

What a day!

My daughter slept at my house last night and I took her home early this morning to find the old couple who live underneath her, (who moved out a week ago in a hurry to escape all the yobs in the street) house had been tampered with and someone had tried to break the locks off the door and get in. We phoned the police and then I noticed a cat inside on their window sill The police arrived and broke in and found a cat, a kitten and a dog in a terrible state

The police asked my daughter to look after them whilst the RSPCA came out to pick them up so I went to the shop for cat and dog food. That all happened around 8.30am this morning and we heard nothing else so I just phoned the RSPCA who have no record of these animals, guess the police forgot to ring them

The cats ok its now in the garden fat and full and the kitten is lively enough but the poor old dog is in a right state. She's about 14 and going blind and TBH I think she's on her last legs She's laid really still with really shallow breathing and hasn't moved for about 2 hours now. I told the RSPCA to move their arses as I think she's dying I rang my emergency vet who said it sounds like its her time to go but because she isn't mine if I took her in and she needed to be PTS they would have to contact the owners for permission.

What a dam dilemma I'm in She's in no pain and seems comfortable enough, just wish for once the RSPCA would move their backsides.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Thats terrible hope something is sorted soon,lucky you and your Daughter were able to help the poor animals.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh poor things, especially the older dog.

You must be so upset that you cannot do more, surely the RSPCA should intervene soon Thank goodness you were there to help, I hope the dog gets the help it so badly needs

Whilst I understand the owners must have been in a hurry to evade yobs, that is no excuse to leave defenceless animals behind to starve to death, they should be traced immediately. Surely someone at the police could find where they moved to? That dog needs help now and their permission to PTS if needed, not only that they should be prosecuted for leaving them. Those animals would have died if they hadn't been found
Carole
Supervisor

28-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Poor animals lets hope the RSPCA get a move on to make a decision on that poor dog
Annestaff
Supervisor

28-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Noone has any idea where the couple have gone. The police have tried to find them so they could give permission for the animals to be handed over to the RSPCA but their fairly new to the area and noone knows anything about them.

The RSPCA said they would get done for deserting the anilmals but I doubt very much they'll be able to find them if the police can't.
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Umm, I dont want to put the RSPCA down, they do help a lot of animals but I would like to just say this... I work for the police and we contact the RSPCA about lots of animal matters on a regular basis. I personally (and this is taken from my experience of dealing with them over the past 4 years in my job) find that they hardly ever act on anything we pass to them. We speak to them about most animal related matters from animals that have been knocked over, to abandoned animals in streets and houses, to animals that have been mistreated - in fact, we have to take a lot of animals into police stations that shouldn't have to be because we dont have the adequate facilities until they can go to a shelter. I'm sure they do help a lot of animals but not always because the police have contacted them. I think they may suffer from the same old problem everywhere (including the police) - lots of demand and not very many resources!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 02:58 PM
How sad . Hope the RSPCA turn up soon.....
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I suppose is also possible that the couple were relying on a third party to come and pick up the animals for them if they left in such a hurry. Maybe plans went awry - perhaps thats why locks had been tampered with, in desperation to get the animals out?

I am not excusing poor treatment/abandoment of the animals, but in my experience, elderly people often put their animals before themselves, and if they were being (or felt) harrassed by yobs, they may have thought they were doing the only thing they could?

I guess what I am saying is that we dont know the full facts and it doesnt help the aimals to second guess.

as to the rspca: ring them and tell them you have found an injured fox, and I expect they will be 'round within half an hour - tv crew in tow!

when all the terriers were found in dreadful conditions in sussex not long back, the rspca were asked to intervene, but they declined because they 'dont work sundays'! maybe they dont work bank holidays either??

sorry to be facetious, but while I have the greatest respect for the grassroots workers, the organisation itself is largely political, and unless you give money direct to your local centre, they are likely never to see any of the monies made from the national campaigns.

apologies - I shall put my soapbox away now.

good on you for helping these animals, lets hope a solution can be found.

x
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 03:54 PM
have they turned up yet anne?
poor dog and poor you to try to help and look where it gets you.
i hope some thing can be done for her.
Annestaff
Supervisor

28-08-2006, 04:04 PM
I suppose is also possible that the couple were relying on a third party to come and pick up the animals for them if they left in such a hurry. Maybe plans went awry - perhaps thats why locks had been tampered with, in desperation to get the animals out?
The yobs who ran them out of their home were the ones who attempted to break in. They even had the cheek to chat to the police whilst the police were waiting for the council to fix the door. I went in to help take the animals out and told them that they were the lads who proberbally did it. Well to cut a very long story short he's now been arrested and was caught with the hammer used to break the door in.

The police have phoned my daughter and said they would try hurry the RSPCA up as they've had all day to collect the animals now. Thing is I rang the RSPCA and until I rang they had nothing logged
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »