View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 01:26 PM

The Bain of my Life - dumb shop assistants!

I'm really beginning to wonder if it's me??? Why are my nerves and temper tested so much when on a mere shopping trip nowadays? Why do we have to be intimidated by these shop assistants be it Tesco or wherever!!

First Rant: Tesco's. Only popped in for a few bits so got a basket, half filled it, made sure I counted that I only had TEN ITEMS otherwise I would have been quakeing in my boots in the basket queue Unloaded stuff, and lo and behold it was changeover time, but then hey, that always happens too doesn't it? BUT, this time was different, the girl going off began to hold a long drawn out conversation with the girl who had just arrived, and said how she had been waiting for her to come coz she wanted to talk to her about her gyneacological problems! Oh yes!!! I heard it all, I heard how it was "just like razor blades" too!!!!! NOw as you well know, I'm not one to keep my mouth shut at times like this, and when the girl EVENTUALLY moved out of the way to let the new girl get on with it and went off, the lady apologised for the wait!!!! I told her it should have been the OTHER girl who should have apologised to me!!! She then went on about how she had problems, but I stopped her dead and said I'd already heard all about those, didn't want to hear it for a 2nd time, coz was only here to do my shopping, pay for it and get out!!! Quick!!!!

On my way past Customer Service, I just couldn't help myself!!!! I collared this nice young man and asked him whether the girls on the checkouts had any other duties to perform such as Customer Service? He replied that they did, to which I told him "well, I didn't get any!!!!" I also told him that instead of any customer service, I had to be witness to a very long drawn out conversation about the girl and her gyneacological problems, or rather "down below" as she had so politely put it!!! He assured me once I pointed out the checkout that management would be having words, and as I thanked him and walked away, I also added that "it's like razor blades ya know"!!!!!!!!!

Next Rant: My Local Doctor's Surgery/Chemist shop. Popped in to pick up my mother's prescription, and was running a bit late, as I'd left Mum too long, well, longer than I like in case she has a fall. So, there I am in an almost empty, normally manic busy, chemist shop adjoining the surgery. One woman serving, so I stand patiently waiting. This woman goes on and on about she's had blood tests, blah, blah, bl**dy blah, so she gets told to take her form over to the doctor's window, but then she says she wants lots of things as well today Glanced up at the clock and saw I'd been standing there nearly 10 minutes!!! Hang on, I thought, this is gonna be a long one, so I looked over the top of the dispensing cabinets and lo and behold there were 2 FURTHER ASSISTANTS standing there having a nice little chat, and they looked back at me, but actually DID nothing!!! So, when the assistant who was actually doing the job she is paid to do, came over to my direction, still talking to the woman she's serving and says "and you want what?" to which I replied (even though she wasn't actually talking to me!! ) "I'd like to be served please"!!!! She looked up at me and said "d'ya wot?" so I repeated again "I'd like to be served please, I'm in a hurry", so she gave me a very strange look (even though I know her quite well she's got a gsd that we meet up with sometimes!) turned around and saw the other two, still heavilly engrossed in their interesting (not!) conversation, and called out to one of them, who SURPRISINGLY, very surprisingly, looked over at me and thought "tcht, I've got to leave our cosy little chat and go and SERVE??????" Words bl**dy fail me!!!!!!

I'm really beginning to wonder if it's actually ME, but surely not??? Why are we having to be so blooming intimidated by this new generation of shop assistants??? I know in our day it used to tick us off constantly being asked "can I help you" to which we'd always answer "no thanks, I'm alright", but perleeeaze to ignore us is quite beyond me when this is a job they have chosen to do in life, they get paid to do it, so why the blooming heck don't they knuckle down and get on with it then!!!! GRRRR

Rant over! Thanks for listening! Lol! I'm definitely gonna be on one again today I can see it coming! Why am I still laughing???? Maybe I AM mad!!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Sorry H that just made me laugh. I thought it was just me who attracted the YTS (youth training scheme, for those of you who can't remember them!) as we call them.
Enjoy the rest of the day, I will be putting the kettle on in a minute if you fancy a cuppa!
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2008, 01:37 PM

It is a total nightmare.

Here's me theory. These days, the young generation do not want to work for peanuts. So they all go to University, basically to have a non stop party for a few years, and to come out with a lovely degree.

In the mean time, because all the British kids are at Uni studying 'media studies' etc, we have to look to Eastern Europe to recruit plumbers, carpenters, builders, labourers, cleaners etc etc...the people we really need.

So, the British youth finally leaves Uni, and guess what? No job. So they end up in Tesco, Burger King etc earning less than the Eastern European.

The result...a massive chip on the shoulder, a stinking attitude and NO customer service!

Please note...this is only MY opinion of what I see around me. You may see it differently
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 01:37 PM
i agree totally helena.

went into argos on sunday. out of stock of what we wanted so went to customer services to see if they could get it for me. stood there for 5 mins while they finished conversation then was told i could go to the next 2 towns for the item as they didnt know when they were getting a delivery.

also dont get me going on argos. they messed up our wedding ring order and then said i could borrow a ring get married and have it blessed and then exchange it when the right ring came in.

laughable really

the one that took the biscuit for us was the lady in subway that couldnt speak/understand english......need i say more

sue
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post

the one that took the biscuit for us was the lady in subway that couldnt speak/understand english......need i say more
that really winds me up!!!! if they to be in this country- learn to speak bl00dy english!!!!!

nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2008, 03:06 PM
So how was the car park there today Helen.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-01-2008, 03:37 PM
No its not just you I find this all the time.I have most of my shopping from supermarket delivered now as I find most of the time I end up in a temper.
Something positive did just happen. Yesterday a letter from L&G and out Agents who did our new mortgage to tell us the critical illness cover hadn't happened. July 2007 so rang L&G and had a chat to a nice young man 1st day on the phones, then rang the Agents think L&G made the mess up and said we would of been covered if anything had happened. Refilled out necessary forms and Gorden popped them through the Agents door so they could fax them today. Nice young man from L&G just rang to see what we were going to do explained what we had done and he said I will ring the Agents to check they have faxed them over as nothing showing on our system yet.
He is going to keep an eye on it for us to make sure it all works out this time. So some people are competent if not all of them.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 04:10 PM
It's not you, Aitch, I'm also on a very short fuse where "service", or the extreme lack of it, is concerned.

Only last week I made a scathing remark to the checkout girl for talking to the bag packer (who I told to b*gger off in the end).

I think we should start a "Grumpy Old Tarts" section.....

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 04:12 PM

and what would be the criteria for joining????
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post

and what would be the criteria for joining????
Suffice to say, Sue, you're in!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »