Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellapup
New Member!
Male 

18-10-2009, 08:29 PM

Crate, pen or both together?

Hi all,

We'll be collecting our cocker puppy in a few weeks and are preparing things ready for her and would like to keep her down in the kitchen area to begin with. A crates and a pen have been ordered and we've had the idea of putting the crate inside the pen during night times so she can wounder around if she feels the need. Is this a good idea or should she be kept in the crate?

D.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I would just crate and not bother with the pen. Night time is for sleeping, so she doesn't really have any need to be wondering around. I know I don't leave my bed at any point during the night and my dogs don't either.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I would just crate and not bother with the pen. Night time is for sleeping, so she doesn't really have any need to be wondering around. I know I don't leave my bed at any point during the night and my dogs don't either.
i agree with labradork
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Part of the reason crates are such a big help is that they restrict the puppy's activity. Activity stimulates the body to process waste and reduces the time it can go without relieving itself. If the crate is big enough for an adult, block off part so the puppy has little more room than to stretch out.

A young, 7-8 week old puppy likely will require a middle of the night trip outside for a while. A paper or a pad in the pen will make it easier for you at first, but could create a big problem later.
bellapup
New Member!
Male 

19-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replys.

Is it still worth using a pen if we need to pop out of the house for a bit or only use it when we're in the house with her?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by bellapup View Post
Thanks for the replys.

Is it still worth using a pen if we need to pop out of the house for a bit or only use it when we're in the house with her?
i would still just use the crate... i personally wouldnt use a pen at all, but thats just me.
bellapup
New Member!
Male 

19-10-2009, 01:45 PM
We're buying a bed for her to lay on as well as a crate, so i think we'll just try a crate (for her to sleep in ) and the bed so she can have someware to laydown when she's wondering around near us in the living room. Any more advice would be very much welcome, especially for cockers.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I view the crate as essential, although Cockers may not be as prone to destroying everything in the house and perhaps themselves too as Labs are.

The pen might be nice too, but I have never bothered. Could help keeping the dog where you can see it.