Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 03:09 PM

Worried about Takara... unproved aggression

Hi guys,

I took T to ringcraft yesterday and she snapped at quite a few dogs. She has taken a disliking to certain dogs at ringcraft before but she was hormonal and I passed it off as that.

But lately, she seems even more agitated, quite happy off the lead, but on the lead she keeps snapping and barking at other dogs, and she's even curling her lip in a snarl. It's just not like her at all.

She seems healthy in herself, but has been quiet recently and is eating half (or less) of what she usually does.

Last night was a big shocker, she snarled and snapped at a rottie pup so I took her straight out of the queue for the training mats and sat her down, after a couple of minutes of silent treatment, I got her a drink and took her outside for a wee.

She did need a drink but still snapped afterwards at another dog.

I keep paying close attention to how I'm behaving and the only time her lead goes tight is when I'm trying to pull her away from a dog that is training, or off the mats so she's not in the way. When introducing her to another dog I either stay silent or say 'gooood girl' while keeping the lead slack.

I can't see any threatening behaviour coming from the other dog and I just can't understand where this is coming from

Please help me, usually I'm so proud of her but last night I was ashamed of her (and of me) and don't want to feel like that again.

edit: in case you hadn't guessed, the title's meant to say 'unprovoked'
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 03:20 PM
You poor thing - it must be a real shock when she is usually so good.

As its not normal behaviour and particularly as you say she has been quieter than usual and not eating a lot, I think your first actions should be to get her thoroughly checked out. Its not unusual for dogs to feel grumpy with other dogs if they are not feeling 100%.

(there is no chance that she could be pregnant is there?)

If its not a health issue, I'm afraid I can't really offer any sensible suggestions, but do hope you get it sorted.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks Hali,

I'm going to get her in at the vets (unfortunately pay day is another month and a half away )

She can't be pregnant, her last season finished at the beginning of January, and she didn't get caught during it.

But she has been nesting a little lately, she's been fine with Eddy but she's been quiet and quite cuddly, making nests and wanted her fabricrate out the other day.
Is it possible for bitches to have a phantom (not lactating) without having been in season recently?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

Is it possible for bitches to have a phantom (not lactating) without having been in season recently?
I'm afraid I have no idea - hopefully someone else can say..but her behaviour certainly makes you wonder, doesn't it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Actually, I've just spoken to a husky breeder who says the timing is right for her to be having a phantom after her last season ending in January....

Here comes health thread...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Was going to suggest maybe her hormones are still coming into play here...

Nesting etc does sound a bit like a phantom pregnancy...

Wys
x