Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mollypup
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Atopica - should I continue?

Molly has been allergy tested and is allergic to dust mites and storage mites - I have spent a small fortune on trying to help her and immunotherapy which did not work.
She would bite her paws until they bled, she was bald under both armpits and spent every waking minute scratching and had severe ear infections. It was heartbreaking to watch. My vet put her on Atopica and her paws are now back to normal, she does not scratch and her ears are fine. However there is a downside, when she gets up from sleeping she can hardly walk, I have to lift her up steps, she sleeps most of the time and is like a really 'old dog' now. She is 8 and the vet said @it's just her age" but it has only happened since she started the Atopica, I'm in a dilemma, what was worse the scratching or now, she's virtually immobile? What should I do? would it be Atopica causing this?
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of Atopica so cannot offer any advice, but I can see from your posting that you are very worried about Molly. I hope someone will be along soon who can advise you and that you will find a solution which suits both yourself and Molly.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:25 PM
That could be Tonks' story! She too is allergic to both those things and immunotherapy did nothing for her. We think she is allergic to chicken too. She is now fed on wafcol salmon and potato, is on avery low dose of medrone every other day, atopica and antihistamines.

However we have had no adverse affect from the Atopica at all. She was nauseous and vomited a few times when she was first put on it but as soon back to her normal bouncey self.
mollypup
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of Atopica so cannot offer any advice, but I can see from your posting that you are very worried about Molly. I hope someone will be along soon who can advise you and that you will find a solution which suits both yourself and Molly.
Thanks Susannah92, yes she means the world to me, I just want to do what's best for her x
mollypup
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
That could be Tonks' story! She too is allergic to both those things and immunotherapy did nothing for her. We think she is allergic to chicken too. She is now fed on wafcol salmon and potato, is on avery low dose of medrone every other day, atopica and antihistamines.

However we have had no adverse affect from the Atopica at all. She was nauseous and vomited a few times when she was first put on it but as soon back to her normal bouncey self.
Thanks Catrinsparkles, glad to hear it's working for Tonks maybe I just need to accept Molly is getting older
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:34 PM
How long has she been on the atopica for?

I wouldn't have said she was old enough to be struggling with her mobility that much though. I wonder if there is something else that is affecting her? Or if the vet could give her Metacam to improve her mobility and quality of life.
mollypup
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2013, 09:48 PM
She's been on it for about 3 months now, she just seems to be getting gradually worse - she is always been out really long walks every day since she was little- usually she runs about crazy but now she just walks along side me and when she gets home and has had a lie down she cant get up. I was thinking of stopping the Atopica and going on to steroids but the vet said that Atopica is less harmful...
I just feel that 8 is not that old, my mum has a westie who is in better nick and it's 15!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
She's been on it for about 3 months now, she just seems to be getting gradually worse - she is always been out really long walks every day since she was little- usually she runs about crazy but now she just walks along side me and when she gets home and has had a lie down she cant get up. I was thinking of stopping the Atopica and going on to steroids but the vet said that Atopica is less harmful...
I just feel that 8 is not that old, my mum has a westie who is in better nick and it's 15!
Yes, steroids are more harmful...hence why Tonks is on such a low dose. Can you get a second opinion on her mobility?
mollypup
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Think I'll take her back to vet and see what they say..
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Good luck. Let us know how you get on. X
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >