Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2013, 08:30 AM

Advice please!

Not sure what to do this morning so any advice would be much appreciated.
One of my terriers was sick at 5am and a further 4 times shortly after. He seems o.k., cold wet nose and although his tum felt hard earlier, it's much more relaxed now.
I noticed that he had brought up 2 pieces of a pigs ear, about the size of my thumb. I was quite shocked as he had the pigs ear on Friday!

Last night on his walk, he tried to poo but nothing came out, he didn't strain tho' and at home eat his tea as normal.

Initially I thought to starve him for 24 hours, but now I'm concerned there could be more pigs ear stuck somewhere?
I need him to poo, but he won't will he if he has no food in him?

So should I starve him or try him with some boiled chicken and see how he goes?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I would go to the vet straight away, or at least call the vet advice number. When was the last time he had a poo? If he's brought up something he had on Friday it's very possible he has a bowel obstruction somewhere.
I could obviously be something a lot less worse but I wouldn't risk it, I would go straight to the vet! Especially since this seems to have gone on since before the weekend!
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Hmm, I' not sure when he last had a poo .....Jack prefers to 'go' at home rather than on a walk, but with 3 dogs I can't be certain. I'm watching him like a hawk this morning for any signs of discomfort.
The other 2 have had breakfast and Jack is looking for his, so he' not feeling "off his food".
I think I'll see if he goes this morning and if not speak with the vet after lunchtime.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 11:05 AM
I would be ringing the vet now and explaining the situation parsonsmum, they will advise to bring him in straight away or not. I have a feeling they will want to see him now rather than wait though.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2013, 11:20 AM
I've spoken with the vets and have an appointment at 1pm.
Jack seems o.k. and not in pain or discomfort, but better to be safe than sorry. Thank you for the advice.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Let us know how it goes, I hope he's ok and it's nothing serious!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Good luck hope it's all OK.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2013, 04:33 PM
The vet wasn't unduly worried about Jack, thank goodness. He explained that as the pigs ear isn't digested it can hang around in the stomach for a few days and become what they call a "floating obstruction". Moving to a certain point probably caused the vomiting.
He also gave Jack an internal exam and said his faeces was a little dry but he certainly wasn't badly constipated.

Jacks been prescribed Zantac and Antepsin just in case it's a gastritis thing, he can have a light diet today and if he doesn't return to normal in a day or so to go back to vets.
If he has to go back it would be for scans to check for any obstruction, but today the vet said he saw no need for that yet.

So fingers crossed he'll soon be back to his normal self. He's quite relaxed though and not in any obvious distress.
Thanks again for your help.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Fingers well and truly crossed here for Jack, and I am so pleased that the vet is not too concerned.

I nearly lost my last dog, a collie cross, when she swallowed large pieces of unchewed pigs ear. I never bought any more!! Those pizzle sticks and hide chews can be as bad, so if Jack is a swallower rather than a confirmed chewer then it may be best not to give him anything like this in future.

Good luck, and I hope that he is back to normal very soon.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Glad all went okay at the vets and fingers crossed he'll be fine. Maybe he's a bit dehydrated, hence the dry poo? I remember my dog managed to get hold of a load of ears once and he was soooo thirsty afterwards.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >