Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Why do people lie ?

What do you think ?

I'm on about on the internet,I was reading a few posts last week and certain things stood out for me,so did more research,sad I know LOL but I was bored!

Anyway I was gobsmacked,all over the net was one lie after another,
Yet on forums they expect to be taken seriously,I just wondered what makes people do this sort of thing ?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:10 PM
This is something I have actually seen too, I have often thought that ''some'' people try to make thier lives seem ''thrilling'' ''impressive'' ''important'' and seem to like the thought of being ''noticed''

Personally I agree with my husband anyone can tell you whatever and you will never know......but you know what I truely believe, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can not fool All of the people all of the time..

Pity they don;t realise that
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:10 PM
What way, can you emphasise a bit?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I've noticed this too - to the extent that I take far less things on face value these days...which is sad.

As for why they do it, I think there's probably a few different reasons, but probably mostly (1) because they are unhappy with their real lives and like to escape from it by pretending it is otherwise (2) because they crave the attention. (3) because it is easier to lie to people on forums than it is in real life, partly because forum rules often dictate that you can't openly challenge someone, particuarly where the 'evidence' is from another forum.

Generally I just feel sorry for these people, though it does annoy me at the same time, because as I say, it ends up making the honest people so suspicious.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't trust anyone I haven't met in 'real life'--I have seen too many lies written about various dog related things.

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:32 PM
nowt strange as folk
....dont like lies, dont see why,dont understand boo
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't trust anyone I haven't met in 'real life'--I have seen too many lies written about various dog related things.

rune
that is also why im glad Tassle met Tupac
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I guess the internet makes it harder to judge what people say, you can't see their facial expressions etc, we are essentially whatever we type on the computer, take out the bits we don't like or embellish the good bits or the dramatic bits.
Some intentionally lie some get things a bit mixed up and it can be harder to make sure you throw in every detail. People can also lie for their own protection if they feel like they are getting attacked.
I think people are essentially the same people they are either in true life or on the computer, either way I have no time for people who deliberately lie for their own amusement.
Could go on and on about it at the end of the day if they lie on a forum with deliberate intent they can upset us all but really they are only a stone thrown in the water they sink to the bottom and the ripples eventually fade, and they aren't as effective as they think they are, if people show compassion to them and it is a lie, it is not the ones who have shown the beauty of human kindness that are the fools it is the ones who let down human nature and showed one side that is not the nicest, but one that is there all the same that will rear it s ugly head at some point.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
Come for a visit Rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 02:56 PM
The trouble is, it makes you suspicious of perfectly innocent people. But there`s no way of `outing` these trolls. We have had some posts which I`m sure are made when mum was out so you couldn`t even ban the isp address.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »