View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Mine has been doing it for 6 years, so I gave up. LOL.
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Kt has done it now for 12years, i gave up, how ever she looks well on it and has a luvly shiny coat
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
Kt has done it now for 12years, i gave up, how ever she looks well on it and has a luvly shiny coat
Same with Cosmo (although not 12 years...)
He is able to turn whilst still pooing and eat the lump that fell first whilst the rest is still coming out.
Yellow Belly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Mine did it when we got her as a puppy, then we then discovered she was riddled with worms! But it had become a habit. So we changed her food to Trophy Pet Food (less waste). Added a bit of natural yogurt to improve digestion and added pineapple too. Also cleaned it away as quick as possible, after a few weeks it broke the habit.

1) 1st worm the dog with a good quality wormer (Do worms eggs give out a come and eat me scent because they are spread through poo?)
2) They say they eat poo because they are not digesting the protein correctly and it needs to go through twice, they can then smell the protein in the poo (like us passing a burger bar yum yum ). The pineapple does not put them off eating the poo it is an urban myth, but it does help with the digesting of protein and that is why humans eat it with pork and other herbs and things with other meat. You could try natural yogurt or Yakov? Stuff. Think what would I do to get my own digestion system going?
3) Change dog food not necessarily to an expensive one that is well know because a lot of these use bulk proteins from things like hair and crushed teeth that do need to go through twice. I use Trophy and that stopped it, maybe consider a Barf diet so you know exactly what protein is going in.
4) Even if you sort the above out you still need to break the habit, try walking on new routes with new scents, this worked for me. Also clean up quickly.
munchkin56
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2009, 01:11 PM
thanks for the reply, he is wormed regularly with wormer i get from my vet. he has only started to this in the last two weeks. but is obssesive about it, i clean up as soon as he is finished but he has the knack of beating me to it. i now thnk it has become a game..he only does it in our garden & not when we are walking him outside, so do you not think the pineapple idea works. is trophy food in supermarkets... if so.. guess who's going shopping. my other dog (female) looks at him in a kind of "what ya eating, is it nice emmm should i try it" but as of yet she hasnt bothered, (which is a bonus) because as a lab she will normally try anything as long as it stays still long enough.. lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2009, 01:13 PM
My new puppy used to do this, but it seems to have stopped over the past couple of weeks and she's now 20 weeks old tomorrow, so maybe it's the age. I didn't particular do anything to stop her, apart from stalking her from behind a wall in the garden where she would go and racing out to pick it up before she had time to turn round and sniff it! Probably, if I wasn't so quick off the mark, and she wasn't so regular with her poo's, she might still eat it though!! I have started giving her some natural yoghurt of an evening so maybe that IS helping? Can't hurt but try it. My older rescue used to do this when I first had him, but that was baggage, where he wasn't let out regularly and he had to eat it for fear of being scolded, but of course, he's well over that now, and he turns his nose up at it as he walks away from one! Lol! Good luck, you'll get there with trying a bit of this and that hopefully.
munchkin56
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2009, 01:15 PM
omg please no .. tell me you made that up
firebird
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I did not know this was such a common behavior!

My pup only eats it when she has an accident and goes in the house. (Which is weird because we've never scolded her so it's not a 'I'll get in trouble so i better clean it up" thing.)
She has tried to eat the ones outside but we watch her and put a stop to that real quick. She’s not outside unattended so we catch everything she does.

It really is disgusting!!! Especially after when they lick you.....ahhhh....
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I really don't think it has anything to do with what food they are on. When it first became a problem for us, I tried the whole switching foods malarky to see if that would solve it. We tried a raw diet, James Wellbeloved, Autarky, Arden Grange, Masters, Nutro...you name it, we tried it. It made sod all difference.
munchkin56
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2009, 01:23 PM
this seems to be a common thing, now i know why he turns into a contortionist, when he squats, he hasnt quite mastered the eating as it arrives bit.. i know he is a god boy but, this recycling thing has gone a bit to far with him.. he loves my daughter to bits (21) she doesnt appreciate the licks he gives her when he returns from the garden. i have been in the garden for the last 40mins searching just in case he has a secret stash somewhere, every little bit has now been removed. he followed me around with a soppy look, and is now sulking in the corner, proberbly thining what he can do next to make me gag.."little darling"
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >