Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2006, 04:51 AM

Bosco's Cancer Chemotherapy Update

Hi Everyone!

My 10 year old GSD, Bosco, had his cancerous spleen removed on September 30, 2005. We did 12 weeks of once a week chemotherapy IV injections to kill any potential microscopic cancerous cells that may have been setting up house keeping some where else in his body.

He did very well with the chemotherapy, even going from a weight of 109 pounds to 114 pounds!

(~~"Oh poor doggy. You had cancer. Here, have another cookie!" ~~)

We did the final chemo. on December 26th. All throughout his blood work was fine and we did not need to alter his dosage of medications because of some abnormality in the blood work. I was to take x-rays in three months of his lungs to see if there was any sign of cancerous growth.

Is the Oncologist kidding?!?!? There was NO way I was going to wait 3 months! I took chest x-rays of Bosco last week and there is no evidence of any abnormality or cancerous growths. This was verified by a consultation with a radiologist. Please don't think that I worry about such things though!

At the same time I also drew some blood to see if Bosco showed any signs of anemia. The Oncologist had told me that anemia would likely be THE FIRST sign that the hemangiosarcoma was back. Again, there was only perfection in his lab work.

So ~~~ We are to take another set of chest x-rays in three months and again in 6 months. If there is nothing going on in his lungs, and he is not anemic at that time, Bosco will then be considered cured and free of his hemangiosarcoma. If it does come back there is additional treatments available for that phase too.

He has already passed two very important prognosticators for his type of cancer. Most dogs are dead within 1-2 months of their diagnosis. About 85% who have survived the first 2 months are dead at 4 months post-diagnosis.

Right now the major health issue Bosco faces is his weight reduction diet. But as with everything else he has gone through, he is a very good boy about this too.

That's about it for now. Thank YOU ALL for your good wishes and concern!

C3D
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2006, 05:39 AM
I am so pleased for you and Bosco I had been wondering how he was getting on - so thank you for the update.

I think you showed a great deal of restraint waiting a whole three weeks before doing the x-rays

Fingers crossed that all continues to go well. (Can he have just one biscuit from me?).
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

24-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Thats lovely news C/D, hope it continues
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 06:37 AM
Fabulous news - please give Bosco a big {{{hug}}} from me (and just one cookie?)
Carole
Supervisor

24-01-2006, 07:58 AM
that is great news
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Great news,so glad to hear Bosco is doing well.
Meg
Supervisor

24-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi C3D that is such good news and quite remarkable. I was thinking about you and Bosco the other day and wondering how he was doing..It sounds as if you were lucky and caught the problem in time he must be one tough boy!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 09:56 AM
So glad to hear that Bosco is still doing well C3D Hope you and your family are well
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Great news - here's hoping he comes on in leaps and bounds
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Yay....hope everything stay clear.....(maybe another cookie from me?)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >