Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Turkey?

I gave turkey to Jamie on Christmas Day, and veg... no gravy or any other nasties... he had a bit of a soft poo day yesterday Now my friend thinks its cos dogs can't digest turkey? I always thought they could as have bought him turkey steaks before... I put it down to having a few other doggy treats.... So is there any truth in this turkey thing?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I gave 7 dogs a full turkey dinner, well Turkey, Sausage, bacon, roast spuds and gravy on Christmas day and not a soft poo in sight. It's more than likely an excess of treats or just the general excitement!
Becky
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks Becky... exactly what I thought He had turkey, potatoes, swede, carrots and cabbage, some turkey juices and thats it.... I reckon it was the excitement of having his own tea towel after months of stealing them...
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2007, 06:30 PM
All mine had a complete chicken each plus any left over vegs and everything has been normal poo wise, but fart wise it has been rank here, but then again my lot only eat raw meat.

If Jamie does not eat cooked meat and vegs as normal then as Mahooli has said he has just had a complete treat overload, hence the soft poo.

Does he normally have kibbles?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
All mine had a complete chicken each plus any left over vegs and everything has been normal poo wise, but fart wise it has been rank here, but then again my lot only eat raw meat.

If Jamie does not eat cooked meat and vegs as normal then as Mahooli has said he has just had a complete treat overload, hence the soft poo.

Does he normally have kibbles?
No, he has meat (canned and ordinary meat like beef and chicken, lamb and fish!) and biscuits.... I really think it more to do with treats, than the meat... I mean the boy enjoys raw lamb chops but he had treats and the parents do spoil him.....
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Also apparently my friend watched some tv programme and a vet advised that dogs were not to be given fruit cake etc, chocolate and turkey???? Know about fruit cake and chocolate... he has never had so much as a sniff, but turkey???
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 07:28 PM
All I know is they can't digest turkey like they do chicken for some reason, but I've never had a problem feeding turkey. My dog had a whole lamb shank on Christmas day which was raw, he's not used to raw, except a marrowbone now and again, but his poo's are totally normal, better than ever in fact, which quite surprised me. He's also had turkey on and off with veggies since Christmas eve to no ill effect. I'm sure it's the overindulgence like the rest of us!
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Interesting you should say that, we feed our dogs raw and yesterday they got turkey wings. Now today three of them have been very ill, and we think its because they can't digest the turkey bones properly.
Lara'sYorkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Mine has some cooked goose (its what we had) with their Christmas dinner not turkey. However they eat raw turkey as part of their raw diet regularly with no problems at all
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-12-2007, 10:27 AM
my butcher is also a farmer so he breeds his own turkeys. My 2 are raw fed and have turkey regularly, so a leg or diced turkey is part of their normal diet. Raw fed dogs tend to have very small hard poos as they utilise the majority of their food, and theirs is no different when they have had turkey. Needless to say they had their own turkey legs on Christmas Day.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >