Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
Now that is a good bargin can't say that I manage it that cheap!
I must confess I know the butcher and he gave me somethings for free, chicken necks, some tripe, but he is really cheap anyway a whole lamb breast was £1.76, my OH said he would have eaten it not given it to the dogs I am really lucky cause he says to ring on a thursday with a list of what I need and he will save it in the freezer till I come in, he gets his main deliveries on a thursday, he is only a little local butcher and he knows Zuki really well and always saves his bones for her, now we have Baku he saves twice as many He prepares all the meat himself out the back, so he saves me things like chicken necks and off cuts, which he desn't charge for because they would usually go in the bin
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
I must confess I know the butcher and he gave me somethings for free, chicken necks, some tripe, but he is really cheap anyway a whole lamb breast was £1.76, my OH said he would have eaten it not given it to the dogs I am really lucky cause he says to ring on a thursday with a list of what I need and he will save it in the freezer till I come in, he gets his main deliveries on a thursday, he is only a little local butcher and he knows Zuki really well and always saves his bones for her, now we have Baku he saves twice as many He prepares all the meat himself out the back, so he saves me things like chicken necks and off cuts, which he desn't charge for because they would usually go in the bin
well I feel a tiny bit better cuz my breast of lamb is at least cheaper (£1.30 ish a kg I was so happy when I found those!) It's great that you have found a good and understanding butcher
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
much cheaper it is, I just went to my butcher and got two weeks worth of meat for two dogs for less than a fiver, that includes breast of lamb, whole chickens and tripe, etc. Bargain
WOW! How do you do that? This is meat, yes, not just bones?
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
WOW! How do you do that? This is meat, yes, not just bones?
On friendly terms with the butcher, he saves all his off cuts and offal, chicken necks and such like, stuff he would normal throw away and he doesn't charge us for it. He gives us bones too, but also if you go to the butcher ask for a stewing chicken and not a normal one, they are not as big but half the price and they come with everything including neck, etc. Also find out your local butchers delivery day and call them asking them to keep and freeze all the stuff you want and you can collect it whenever you are ready then. Just yesterday I got all the following for under £5.
Liver, heart, lungs, tripe, whole breast of lamb, two chickens, lots of chicken wings and drumsticks, lots of chicken necks and lots of bones, ox tail and loads of meat off cuts. Three whole bags full have decided I am gonna need another freezer
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks Zuba.
Sounds like you have a wonderful butcher. I'll have to try some of that.

Hope your dog continues to enjoy his new regime. Loki loves his veg (and fruit) and as I don't give him any other treats (except home made ones) I figure it's worth it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2