View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 10:19 AM

Aaarrgghh How do you measure for Curtains?

Someone please tell me?!

I have three massive windows/patio doors that i need curtains for.
I cannot work it out I cant measure the existing curtains.
Curtains are measured by each curtain but i cant work out how big i need each curtain!
If i just measure the frame will a shop help me?
I have looked at various websites and i think you need a degree in maths to buy some bloody curtains!!
where is the best shop pls?

All i do know is its gonna cost a small fortune....why didnt i buy a house with smaller windows!

If anyone could be bothered to put a pic on of their lovely curtains i will love you forever! I need some ideas !
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
You measure the window, not the curtains.

Measure the width, and the drop of the window, and decide how long you want the cutains to be.

I'm sure that the advice is that a single curtain width should come at least 3/4 of the way across the window.

So, if you had a window that was 3m wide by 2m high, you'd need curtains that were at least 3m wide, and 2m high dependent on what drop you wanted, and the type of curtains.

Tab top and ring top curtains don't need as many ruffles in, but need to stretch across the window; normal tape and hook curtains need to be double the width to get the ruffles in them.

Oh dear, I've probably confused you even more!!
dallys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Am sure my curtains were measured at 1.5 times the size of the window, thats for each curtain.
So if ur window measures 5ft then one curtain would be 7.5ft in width.

I'm desperate for new living room curtains, but because of the size of them they cost a fortune,the back curtains(french doors & side windows) are 108" drop by 90" width

Be nice to see other peoples ideas of dressings for windows.I have blinds up too but I hate them with a passion.

Lou
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 10:38 AM
As somebody said, just measure the width of the window and measure the length that you want the drop of the curtain. You can then go to a shop and they will help you. If your windows are very big (like mine) you will need to have them made to measure (get your wallet ready - it doesn't come cheap). I used to go to M & S but when I looked on their website, they had no details of it, so I wonder if they still do it
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I do it by measureing the frame....across

So say my frame across is 7ft, then I need gather so they hang nicely, so each curtain would be 6ft wide...so that gives me plenty to gather'
However if your just having ones with loops...that go on a pole you may not need them so wide.

If you measure the across and then the down (to were you want the curtains to finish) most shops will sort out the size for you.

As from where to buy, I have mine from Dunelms....pricewise will vary, for instance do you want lined ones or not etc.,if you have them tailor made then that may be more expensive.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
If you have a Dunelm Mills near you they are great for curtains, even made to measure ones. Got the dining room ones there and they were brilliant, and not expensive for fully lined made to measure.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Measure your curtain track, (dont forget this will overhang the window frame a little)

Also the drop...FROM THE CURTAIN TRACK.....not the frame

then it wil depend on how full you like to gather them... personally I like at least to be able to gather a curtain to half its width... (I make them) so you will need one curtain to at least (before it is gathered ) cover the width of the window.. so when gathered it closes over half .

Basically if you have a 6ft wide window..you wil want each curtain to be ...5 to 6ft wide... this will give you a nice hang
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Oooh thank you all!! Didnt expect so many replies!

Think i get it ..just...i only have a pea sized brain so its a bit difficult!

Jackbox you are very talented and lucky to be able to make curtains!
My MIL is a curtain maker. But will she make me any?...No the stingy old bat !

I think i will try Dunelm then, never been there but think there is one pretty near.
Thanks again all!!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Oooh thank you all!! Didnt expect so many replies!

Think i get it ..just...i only have a pea sized brain so its a bit difficult!

Jackbox you are very talented and lucky to be able to make curtains!
My MIL is a curtain maker. But will she make me any?...No the stingy old bat !

I think i will try Dunelm then, never been there but think there is one pretty near.
Thanks again all!!

Dunelm are good value for curtains - they also sell wide width fabric if you fancied making your own.
Curtains are really easy if you have a sewing machine & a bit of patience. I make all my own.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
You won't have much of a choice for length (i.e. the height of the window) coz they come in standard sizes which I think are 54", 72" and 90" you maybe lucky and get some inbetween that 72 and 90 though but I doubt it. Then you measure the width of the window and that width is the width of curtain you want, ie. double the width that you will pull it half way across so that you get a nice bit of fullness. Dunelms are the best they do fantastic curtains and cheap! Well, reasonably priced shall we say, coz some of them are horrendous!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >