View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 01:59 PM
This is the first year we are having Turkey!! We usually go for a different bird like Duck/Goose or Pheasant. Neither of us are huge fans of Turkey TBH, but this year quite fancied it for a change.

Sid does the majority of cooking in our house (he loves it, his way of chilling out, besides he's much better than me at it!! )

I am the comis-chef in the kitchen, chief spud-peeler and washer-upper!!! I adore the whole process, we always have a drink while making the Christmas dinner too (got to be done lol )
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm cooking the dinner this year for us two and OH's parents.

We're having rib of beef, roast potatoes, roast parsnip, brussels with chestnuts and pancetta, chestnut stuffing, pork stuffing and gravy. (Guess who has the Nigella Feast book!). I've made it before last year and the year before but just for me and the OH. It's really easy to do so should be quite stress free (touch wood).

Christmas pud with cream for after
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Our turkey crown is ordered.... which I will cook with my famous roasties, parsnips, stuffing balls, bacon round little sausages, roast onions, sprouts (my fav), carrots and peas..... with bread sauce, apple sauce, cranberry sauce and turkey gravy.... oh and freshly baked bread rolls.

No one has room for Christmas pud after, so we normally don't bother but this year we are..... and apparently I have to spark up the brandy.
Skooshbag
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
bacon round little sausages,
mmmmmmmm pigs in blankets, the cornerstone of any good crimbo dinner
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Skooshbag View Post
Those are they.... and loads of them, the dogs insist!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Skooshbag View Post
along with the brussell sprouts I found out something very interesting today about our brussell sprouts. Apparently, they are full of Eastrogen (sp? the female hormone!), and although I used to absolutely HATE them with a passion, for the past few years I adore them, that's my body telling me I need them! They have to be bright green button ones though, not verging on the yellow, cooked al dente (Lol! get me!!!!)

I found out yesterday that I like chestnuts, never had them before, so they're going on my shopping list and I'm going to get some chestnut stuffing for the turkey now! Oh I can't wait, all this excitement, only 5 days to go now!!!!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Well I am going to have a lovely vegetarian roast with all the trimmings, apart from blooming carrots and brussels...
I HATE THEM!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
along with the brussell sprouts I found out something very interesting today about our brussell sprouts. Apparently, they are full of Eastrogen (sp? the female hormone!), and although I used to absolutely HATE them with a passion, for the past few years I adore them, that's my body telling me I need them! They have to be bright green button ones though, not verging on the yellow, cooked al dente (Lol! get me!!!!)

I found out yesterday that I like chestnuts, never had them before, so they're going on my shopping list and I'm going to get some chestnut stuffing for the turkey now! Oh I can't wait, all this excitement, only 5 days to go now!!!!!
LOL My Mum used to put the spouts on before the turkey went in, tasted of tea, bleugh, and yet I lurve spouts...... but chestnuts? Nope, ugh.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I hate sprouts too

How do you lot do your roast potatoes? Anyone use goose-fat and if so is it any good?
Skooshbag
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Sprouts are an instrument of the Devil.

I like me carrots though. Slice a few carrots thinly lenghtways, reg some sugar and red wine, put the sugar and wine in a pan and stir together over a med heat for 5 mins, or until the sugar has dissolved. add the carrots and leave for about 7-10 mins. lovely
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >