Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yes that's true, a lot of them are fat, and it's horrid. This coming from someone who has had a "fat" ESS!

She is not fat, just festively plump with no idea when xmas is.

To be fair to many Lab owners, it's not an old adage, it's a well known fact that Labs are the greediest dog that has ever lived. Until you've had one, you won't understand what I mean. Those that have had one will be nodding very perfusely right now!

I agree there, just as I was reading this I heard my two raiding the kitchen bin

That's no excuse to have a fat one obviously, but it is very, very difficult to keep one slim in it's older years due to the sheer lengths they will go to to eat! Trust me I know, I battled with Woody's weight from day one!

There shouldnt really be an excuse but there is times(such as mine)where it can happen and just sneak up on owenrs.

Plus more importantly, the Labs in the ring are fat because that's what the judges want, stupidly! I've spoke to someone at Crufts that shows and works her Labs. In the winter she drops their food down so they're fit to work, in the summer she has to feed them up to get them placed in shows! She tried leaving their weight the same after a seasons work, but was forever getting comments about how her dogs were under weight!
I remember you saying and said my opinion then. I think its totally wrong that A, Judges who should know better are favouring overweight labs and B that some owners will put the health of there dogs at risk for the sake of a bloody ribbon and a bit of noterity. I would also say putting weight on and off and on and off is also not the best thing either.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I also know so many 'fat' labs but I guess it's quite common in the breed. Anybody that knows my Breagh will realise I understand food 'issues' !!!!!

She's 'naturally' a skinny girl being a lab X pointer but it's still a battle as Roshin (her mum) is a VERY greedy lab.

Skye is just about spot on in my view Phill.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Yes that's true, a lot of them are fat, and it's horrid. This coming from someone who has had a "fat" ESS!
Originally Posted by Stormey
She is not fat, just festively plump with no idea when xmas is.

I said has had, not have, a fat ESS!

She is no longer a chubber, at least I don't think she is, though I'm sure I'll have a fair few exhibitors that are still willing to tell me otherwise! At the end of the day I can now feel her ribs when running my hand along her side, she has a visible waist and I can also feel her spine when stroking her so to them all!

Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I remember you saying and said my opinion then. I think its totally wrong that A, Judges who should know better are favouring overweight labs and B that some owners will put the health of there dogs at risk for the sake of a bloody ribbon and a bit of noterity. I would also say putting weight on and off and on and off is also not the best thing either.
Yes is it quite sad, I've seen some very sad cases over the last year of showing, but what a judge wants he normally gets, unfortunately!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I said has had, not have, a fat ESS!

She is no longer a chubber, at least I don't think she is, though I'm sure I'll have a fair few exhibitors that are still willing to tell me otherwise! At the end of the day I can now feel her ribs when running my hand along her side, she has a visible waist and I can also feel her spine when stroking her so to them all!

Well Im sorry, just so used to the fatty remarks they kind of stick. And yeah, if people tell you, sod em.

Yes is it quite sad, I've seen some very sad cases over the last year of showing, but what a judge wants he normally gets, unfortunately!
It does beg the question, if someone looks for dogs being fat, why are they selected to judge.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2