View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I put out feelers within a week of losing Mo last year, although I'd already been checking out breeders, but didn't expect to get a pup, we were going to rehome a dog...then a few months later...Cosmo arrived. Oops.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 05:05 PM
I`m glad it`s not just us that can`t envisage a life without a dog...the hairy clothes, the smelly carpet, the lack of grass, the little brown eyes boring into you when you`re trying to have a quiet few minutes.......
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I did. I lost my first GSD and within a few weeks had a GSD pup (Flame). I didn't feel Flame was a replacement in any way, but she gave me a reason for getting up in the morning and carrying on.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't think it sounds awful at all that some people have got another dog within a short space of time after losing another.

Everyone is different, some people may never want another dog again as they may feel they couldn't cope with the grief of losing another. Other people want another soon, as there is such a hole in their hearts they need to have something to love again.

I said in an earlier thread that at first after Ozzy was PTS I was in a bad way (my Mum died same day). I was depressed and didn't want another dog and especially not another Rottie. However, Sid persuaded me and it was the best thing we ever did getting Marius needless to say
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 07:11 PM
We knew Meg was nearing the Rainbow Bridge, so we had Skye 4 months before Meg went. I'm glad I did too, because Meg was wonderful with her, even though Meg had almost gone blind and deaf, she seemed to have a reason to plod down the garden.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Same as Hali.
We went the weekend after Spotty died.
We loved that girl heart and soul and we know she would want us to help another as we helped her.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 07:23 PM
With Ben, our old lab, we said we could never have another dog because he was so special but that lasted 2 weeks. He left such a huge hole.
I don't think I could ever have another lab though
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 07:33 PM
That would be a definate yes. I lost my best friend back in January to cancer. It was horrible and the house felt baron. I was at a loss for what to do. I went on my daily walks but it wasn't the same, I missed my little girl to chat to as I went along. My routine was to pot. The following week we went along to the rescue centre ... just to look. Here we found Dingo. He's not replaced Star in anyway, I still cry for her. Dingo has given me a purpose again and he's healing the doggy wound that has been left.

One thing I have found though, as it's still early days in the grand scheme of things. We've only had him for nearly 5 months. I do love him dearly but I've still got a few walls up because I'm afraid to love another dog as much as I did Star because the pain of losing her was immense. My husband says to watch me he can see I adore him and dote on him but I don't want to admit it to myself. Do you know what I mean?

Heidi
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2