View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2008, 03:48 AM

Long time no see, and have some questions.

Hello all, I know it's been a while and ya probably don't even remember me now. LOL Just been going though a lot the past 6 months or so, between moving, a new job and having surgery.

Anyway, onto more important things.

I'm really very unhappy living where I am, and am seriously in a struggle. I'm not going to get into all of it.....but anyway.... I live in Canada right now, but was born in England and lived there until just before my 10th birthday. I'm seriously thinking about moving back to England, in fact I've pretty much set my mind to it.

My only real concerns are my pets. I own (or should I say am "owned by") 2 Rotties and 2 cats, which I'm almost certain won't be able to come with me (not all of them anyway). And as much as I hate to even think about it, I'm trying to get myself used to the idea of having to rehome them. Of course I'm still investigating things, and if there's a way arrange it so they can all come, then I will. Trust me though, rehoming my pets is not something I ever wanted or thought I'd have to do. But things really are that bad, and have been for the past year or so. I've struggled and struggled (with everything), and I just don't think I can continue to live this way.

While I'm sure the cats won't be a problem with the landlord of the home I'll be renting (I'd be moving in with my brother who recently moved back if I went, at least at first), the dogs are a different story. First off, are Rotties banned in England now, or considered "dangerous"? And what chances would I have of even getting them there IF I could sway the landlord into letting me bring them?

Also, what kind of time is it for quarantine nowadays? And are there different amounts of time for cats and dogs? They are all UTD on vaccinations and such, and I have the records of it.
I remember when I moved to Canada we were going to bring our family dog, but the quarantine period was something insane like 6 months, so my parents decided against it, feeling it wasn't fair on the dog. Which delighted my grandparents to no end, who absolutely adored him! But honestly, if it's that long still, I'm not sure I'd want to put my pets though 6 months of quarantine either.

Of course I'll be investigating all of this much more in depth, but wanted to see if I could get any "starter" answers here.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 07:05 AM
First of all glad to see you back again,yeh I remember you well hun.I'm soooo sorry to hear you are unhappy where you are and hope if you do decide to move back over here that it runs as smoothly as possible for you.
Re Rotts being banned over here,isn't true,dunno about the quarantine aspect of things but I'm sure someone will be along to help and advise you on the matter.I soooo hope you can bring them over with you but I'm also sure if you can't you'll do whats best for them and find them a lovely new home for them.Good luck in whatever you do hun and wish you all the best for the future,xxxxxxxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi, sorry to hear your unhappy where you are, and things aren't working out. Rotti are not banned in this country (thankfully) as I love them....but yes it is a usually a 6 month quantine, vaccinations ,flea treatment,worming, all need to be upto date.
For everything you need to know moving from Canada to here your best getting onto the Ministry of Agriculture or your equivalent over there, I know you can visit the kennels where they are held in quantine regular, so your dogs won't forget you. But ask the right department Hun, as things change with them often and they can give you costs too......best of luck look forward to hearing how you got on.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Nothing to add, but just wanted to say that I hope things work out for you x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Canada is now included in the Pet Passport scheme so provided all the criteria are met, [rabies vaccs, microchip, etc etc ], there would be no need for quarantine

Info here :

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...info/other.htm
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2008, 10:36 AM
That's good news. Perhaps then you'll be able to get passports and bring them all over no problem? Fingers crossed for you and good luck with your new life!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Canada is now included in the Pet Passport scheme so provided all the criteria are met, [rabies vaccs, microchip, etc etc ], there would be no need for quarantine

Info here :

I was about to ask about pet passports, I wasn't sure if they covered Canada.
It would be really great if you could bring them, I wish you well.
Oh and yes I do remember you, good to have you back
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Info here :

Great News! well done Patch..
Welcome back British Bandit! Hope it all works out for you.
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks so much everyone!

Patch - Thank you for that link, it was a LOT of help, and I was able to email the closest quarantine premisis to have all the forms sent and asked them a few questions/concerns I had.

Now onto the landlord. LOL I hope that I can convince her to allow me to bring them all. I'm hoping their "resumes" will help to convince her. And heck, I'm willing to sign a contract to replace anything that they may "damage" while I'm living there. Not that they damage things here, but as a landlord, I'd be concerned about it regardless of what I was told by the owner.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Nothing to add, but wish you luck on your return back to Blighty hun
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >