Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Horrible, horrible experiance

I take the dogs out in the evening for a stroll around the street I live in. At one part there is sometimes a little dog that is let out to roam and it will run and go for my two, or the guide dog I'm exercising. I've reported it on several occasions to the dog warden, but to no avail. (I let them know the area in which I see it, there is about 6 houses from which it could poss come from - but don't know the exact house.)

Tonight we were walking round with the kids, there friend and the two dogs. The dog came running out barking and growling at them, they were growling and barking back. I dragged them on as usual but the dog caught up with us and they started to fight, whatever way they twisted the leads came out of my hand.

The three then hurtled towards an oncoming white van, which just stopped as Willow went under the bonnet and Archie and the other dog just infront of it's wheel. The dogs then raced off and I grabbed their leads. The van drove off and I didn't get a chance to speak to the driver.

Checking the dogs over Willow has a small scratch/toothmark between her eyes. I can't see anything otherwise. But the image of them hurtling under the front of that car will never leave me.

What can I do to get this dog's owners to take responsibilty for their dog and keep it onlead when out? Reporting it to the dog warden again seems futile and we nearly had three dead or at least badly injured dogs tonight.

I'm still shaking.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:34 PM
So sorry Evie, how horrid for you.
I guess you could try the police on Saturday. Go to your nearest station and report it/discuss it with the duty sergeant. They may have some suggestions since there was nearly an RTA. Hope they and you recover quickly.

Mary
collies r best
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Could you catch him/her and hand it in as a stray which it technically is. Maybe the owners would think twice before letting the dog out if they have to bail it out of stray kennels.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:53 PM
God, what a fright, i bet your heart stopped beating for that moment!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm not quite sure if it's started beating again yet! I really, really thought they were goners.

I couldn't catch it with my two or another dog in tow. And I think if other neighbours seen me they'd think I was pinching the dog or possibly point me out to the owners at any rate.

I think I'll have to report it to the police tomorrow. If the dog wardens had sorted this the first, second or third time around it would never have come to this!

EDIT: If the owners were responsible in the first place this would never have happened!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Hope you are feeling a bit better now, what a horrible experience for you.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Oh God, MY heart nearly stopped beating when I read you saw her go under the bonnet! Not poor Willow and Archie boy!

I would definitely go to the police, tell them how many times you ahve reported it to the dog warden, I would also take my camera phone everytime it comes near.

Go get yourself a stiff drink and give your gorgeous pups a cuddle.

Becky *currently drinking a pint of gin and tonic, whilst attempting to make it look ladylike by having a swizzle stick in it*
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 08:24 PM
oh blimey, how awful, thank your lucky stars & give your dofgs lots of extra cuddles!!!!! We have a BIG roaming Dog prob around here
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 09:59 PM
My heart stopped reading this thread. You must have been terrified!! Hope you manage to calm down soon.

((Big Hugs))

Heidi
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2008, 10:43 PM
My understanding is that a dog is "Dangerously out of Control" if it constitutes a danger to the general public. Not just from biting, but in your case from causing a traffic 'incident' if not actual 'accident'.

In your position I would write to the dog warden, with a copy to the police (mention this in the letter) asking them to log the complaint and confirm in writing that they have done so. Ask them to confirm that they have noted your previous complaints and linked them to the current letter as you are concerned that should a serious accident occur, there would be no record that you had acted to pre-empt it.

Tell them about the attack on your dogs which started the incident. If it's not too late take a photo of your dog's injury and enclose a copy with your letter. Tell the DW that you were very fearful during the attack and that you are monitoring the guide dog's performance to see whether any psychological damage has been caused in which case a report will be made by the GDBA and of course they will need a reference to quote.

The dog warden is probably trying to avoid doing the paperwork. Make them start a file, and reply to you with an incident reference number which you could quote in any further correspondence. I'd say it was time they were forced to take some action if only to get you off their backs!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »