Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
The roughcast on the outside walls is a bit weathered, the house was built in 1938 and over the years most of the roughcast chips have been blasted off with the weather.

I priced a new resurfacing job but they want £3,000 that'll be the day, (canny Scot ya know)

Anyways, I got a gallon of Sandtex to see how it'd look and painted 10 square metres, it looks great, so I've ordered another 10 gallons to do the whole house, total cost, £145, and it's guaranteed for 15 years.
Ok board and buttey's thrown in, now when can you do mine.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I have visions of when Del Boy sold that paint and they painted their Mum's headstone with it and it glowed in the dark...... Denis, I bet you'll be writing the day 15 years from now in your diary and if it's peeling before then, God help them!
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Sounds like it was hard work Denis

Love the pink mse2ponder
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Before and after pics i feel are due ?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Well I'm 2/3 the way round the house, only have the back wall and the top of the peak on the front to do, the side wall was a nightmare, it gets very little weathering so most of the roughcast is intact, it took 5 gallons to cover it

If the weather holds tomorrow I'll get it all finished and post before and after pics, I'm sure I've made the right decision in choosing Sandtex, It's like a rubberised paint so it'll not let rain through like roughcast does.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2008, 05:02 PM
It's finished well except for the back wall, I ran out of paint

Got the peak done today with a great deal of difficulty as the ladder was a bit on the short side, I lashed two poles together to give me a 10 foot pole for the roller so I could reach the top

Before.

After.

What do you think, not bad for a total cost of £165.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Blimey Denis, you have been busy and it looks great How on earth did you manage the chimney though with holding the pain as well??

Our house is 1937 too and we've got half rough-cast and it's a blooming nightmare to paint. I've done half of it now, mostly the bottom half which is just rough render and I'm leaving the really rough bobbly stuff for Dave! I'm using Weathershield, which costs a fortune and doesn't go far on this rough stuff does it! I'm on my 5th tin and have two more unused.

My neighbours had those people round who do the spraying of that special plastic type paint and it cost them £5K!!!! No way!!!They asked me but you can imagine what I said

You've done a brilliant job there Denis - do you fancy a holiday on the South coast and you can finish mine???!!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Blimey Denis, you have been busy and it looks great How on earth did you manage the chimney though with holding the pain as well??

Our house is 1937 too and we've got half rough-cast and it's a blooming nightmare to paint. I've done half of it now, mostly the bottom half which is just rough render and I'm leaving the really rough bobbly stuff for Dave! I'm using Weathershield, which costs a fortune and doesn't go far on this rough stuff does it! I'm on my 5th tin and have two more unused.

My neighbours had those people round who do the spraying of that special plastic type paint and it cost them £5K!!!! No way!!!They asked me but you can imagine what I said

You've done a brilliant job there Denis - do you fancy a holiday on the South coast and you can finish mine???!!
I thought about hiring a spray gun and compressor H but at that height the spray mist carries onto next doors cars etc,

I have a roof ladder, the type that has a large curved bracket on the top to hook over the roof apex, still a bl00dy PITA though.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
you've done a good job..........I think it looks good well done
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Ya missed a bit ya numpty,,, lol great job denis, did I mention my hall wants papering?

just one small thing,, If I were you I would do the windowsills the same colour as the bottom of the house though, that would be smart,
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >