Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2008, 10:50 PM

Started another project on the house

The roughcast on the outside walls is a bit weathered, the house was built in 1938 and over the years most of the roughcast chips have been blasted off with the weather.

I priced a new resurfacing job but they want £3,000 that'll be the day, (canny Scot ya know)

Anyways, I got a gallon of Sandtex to see how it'd look and painted 10 square metres, it looks great, so I've ordered another 10 gallons to do the whole house, total cost, £145, and it's guaranteed for 15 years.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Theres got to be a catch,don't tell me it's canary yellow xxxxxxxxx
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 11:21 PM
or this.. it was on offer in B&Q?

Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-04-2008, 11:27 PM
What's the wall made of Denis ?

I did my house a few years back with this stuff. It's lasted well on the harled stone walls but on the brick outhouse part it's peeled due to frost despite sealing the brick first.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2008, 11:33 PM
B&Q don't sell it anymore, not in our local branch anyway, besides it's the professional trade brand I'm using, Mid Stone is the shade.

I shopped around for prices, Crown want £23 a gallon so I went to Keyline, £13 a gallon, big difference eh

Those are trade prices BTW, Crown wants over £30 for joe public.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
B&Q don't sell it anymore, not in our local branch anyway, besides it's the professional trade brand I'm using, Mid Stone is the shade.

I shopped around for prices, Crown want £23 a gallon so I went to Keyline, £13 a gallon, big difference eh

Those are trade prices BTW, Crown wants over £30 for joe public.
you do right to shop around.. they seem to think they can rip you off on paint.. luckily my dad's sort-of in the trade (he teaches decorating but never actually does any!).
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
What's the wall made of Denis ?

I did my house a few years back with this stuff. It's lasted well on the harled stone walls but on the brick outhouse part it's peeled due to frost despite sealing the brick first.
Read the insructions on the tin Phil, it's not recommended for certain types of brick, but I've used it many times when I was in the trade and as it says on the tin, 15 years guarantee.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't even know what sort of brick the outhouse bit is. To be honest it's lasted eight years which isn't bad as the surface of the brick on the NE elevation is prone to spalling.

The harled stone main house walls are 250 years old and they are as good as the day they went up LOL
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I wouldn't even know what sort of brick the outhouse bit is. To be honest it's lasted eight years which isn't bad as the surface of the brick on the NE elevation is prone to spalling.

The harled stone main house walls are 250 years old and they are as good as the day they went up LOL
As I said Phil, it's roughcast walls we have, the best way to apply it is with a roller, if you use a brush you get brush marks on the walls unless you do a stipple action with the brush.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
I have to use a roller (and a fluffy one at that) because the harling is very heavy grade.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >