Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 05:19 PM

EEEEK we got RATS!

Just had my rat man in, coz I saw a big critter on Saturday night under the bird feeders, and he's discovered a great big run behind my thick long garden hedge!!! He said it's worse than he's ever seen it for us, but he's not surprised coz in the 40 years he's been doing this job he's never been so busy as this winter! He blames it on that global warming

Well! I'm sorry, but with our posh new house and garden I just can't believe they still want to visit us!!! Mind you, he did say there was a big hole at the bottom of the fence and they're obviously coming in from over the road and just using the hedge as a run! I don't know whether I'm supposed to be pleased with that statement or not!! I know we live right in the middle of the countryside here and you expect this sort of thing, we've always had them on and off over the 20 years, but I worry for Georgie so they've gotta go, and quick!! Four boxes he's put out behind the hedge, and probably stuffed some down a big hole they had started! Apparently, it's only half finished at the moment coz it doesn't go down too far, but they're thinking about moving in!!!! I have to feed the birds, I won't stop doing that just because of some little critter/s either! The good thing is, my new bird stations are on poles and he said they can't climb up those, but today they had some bread and that just vanished this afternoon! Must be a big one then to cart half a loaf off!!! Maybe he had a gang with him!!! Hey ho, I'll be having dead bodies around the side bit now in a day or two, I hope!

Please don't tell me how sweet they are coz I just won't buy it, I hate them and they're not going to live in my back yard!!!! I know about the fox urine, the moth balls, whatever, but the rat man is the only thing that works around here!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 05:31 PM
You need a ferret helen, or a terrier nasty rats saying that we had 4 mice living in the chimney and i caught the lot and fed them to the cat and cremated one hope you get rid soon, get a rat trap from the hardwere store and then get dave to shift them when dead,better than poision eps with dogs and cats around.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Sorry, but i like rats.

Now spiders that another story - kill um all i say
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I have 3 Terriers you can borrow!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Bird food is one of the main attractions for Rats !! Along with rubbish and pet foods, but I know several people who have had the same problem, and it turned out that they all had bird feeders/tables etc.

I spoke to Vermin control recently when my friend had the same problem and he said the increase in his opinion was due to rubbish collections being reduced to once a fortnight, instead of once a week !!

We still get weekly collections in our area, so are lucky !!

Fancy rats are nice, I've had a few over the years, but not wild rats !
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Kill em all! How dare they think they can live at your posh new house
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 06:44 PM
We had one who used to come and peep in our patio door. He was coming for the bird feeder too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 06:49 PM
I keep looking out there, but nothing has appeared yet Hopefully they're making a b-line for his little black boxes full of rat delights!

I keep all my bird food in big tins with tight lids in my shed and nothing has got in there - yet! The main big bags I keep in the boot room with Georgie's food bin, and they haven't come in there either! I know it's the bird food, they can smell it a mile off, but they aren't getting it, not from me anyway! Little blighters, how very dare they think they can live here at Helena Mansioins!!!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I keep looking out there, but nothing has appeared yet Hopefully they're making a b-line for his little black boxes full of rat delights!

I keep all my bird food in big tins with tight lids in my shed and nothing has got in there - yet! The main big bags I keep in the boot room with Georgie's food bin, and they haven't come in there either! I know it's the bird food, they can smell it a mile off, but they aren't getting it, not from me anyway! Little blighters, how very dare they think they can live here at Helena Mansioins!!!!
They obviously have made a terrible mistake and don't know who they are dealing with!
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I have 3 Terriers you can borrow!!
And my father-in-law has a Shiba that is pretty impressive in the rat catching department if you want to borrow him (just don't bring the grumpy old thing back though )
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >