Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you think 12 weeks is to young to neuter a puppy
yes 83 83.00%
no 12 12.00%
dont know 2 2.00%
sitting on the fence 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 10:59 PM

Do You Think (12 Weeks is to young to neuter a puppy)

12 Weeks is to young to neuter a puppy

all opinons welcomed

xxdk
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:11 PM
To be honest DK I had never heard of neutering as young as this before and thought that 6 months plus was the accepted norm for hormonal reasons etc.

BUT I will readily admit to being no expert so look forward to hearing others views.

I would have thought though that for anaesthetic/anatomical reasons it may be more difficult purely due to the small size of some pups at that age, just my opinion though
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by kirstya72 View Post
To be honest DK I had never heard of neutering as young as this before and thought that 6 months plus was the accepted norm for hormonal reasons etc.

BUT I will readily admit to being no expert so look forward to hearing others views.

I would have thought though that for anaesthetic/anatomical reasons it may be more difficult purely due to the small size of some pups at that age, just my opinion though
I myself have never heard of neuturing so young ,but apparently some rescue centre do this xxxdk
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Its awfully young IMO to be putting a puppy through something that traumatic

Maybe its perfectly ok, but i realy cant see how?!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
Its awfully young IMO to be putting a puppy through something that traumatic

Maybe its perfectly ok, but i realy cant see how?!
Me neither ,plus the fact that they are still very under developed at this young age xxdk
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I always thought 6th months BUT having said that more and more vets are now starting to change their views and are advising 16 weeks.

I wish I could remember the reasons behind our vets explanation of why this is but I can't.

In the end we waited for 6 months as Breagh was born in January and at 6 months, Karen (a teacher) started the school summer hols so was around to look after Breagh all day.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Might be a good idea to post a couple of links to studies and facts on early neutering as some members may not have heard of early neutering before which naturally would cause some to be against the idea
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Here's a summary of studies done on early neutering

http://www.columbusdogconnection.com...als%5B1%5D.pdf
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I have heard of it before, a long time ago, I have looked into it, and I am still against it.

Puppies that young are under-developed, in males their testes may not have been descended yet, and it's far too soon to go under GA ..IMO

Plus there's the whole Psychological debate about whether they mature enough/go through puberty at all to consider.

Far to young in my opinion.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:40 PM
I voted sitting on the fence but thats an emotional reaction, not based on facts.

The facts are that its a much easier op for a vet to perform [ according to vets who do young neuter ] because of lack of body fats, tissues, muscles etc, [ girls especially, obviously ], and the recovery time is considerably faster for a youngster, and far from traumatic

According to studies on neuter at different ages, [ from 8 weeks ], the growth difference is minor in terms of some *might* be a mil or two taller than they would have been if neutered older [ but those measurements were more in cats than dogs, dogs apparently rarely gain the extra projected mil ], but more importantly the growth plates close slightly slower which enables bones to become more dense and a lot stronger, plus they have less `growing pains` because the growth is less `spurting`.

So, according to all that, its far better for them to be neutered that young than older. [ in the States 8 weeks is common but the body temp under GA has to be more closely monitored and catered for at that very young age ].

On the emotional side, like anyone else my kneejerk reaction is `but they are so small` - but logically, apart from small breeds they are still bigger than my cats and I have no qualms whatsoever at mogs being done from 12 weeks onward [ the norm for feral cat round-up and release is to neuter when estimated at 12 weeks ], and indeed their recovery [ ferals and my own at that age ], have sailed through as though nothing medical happened at all.

The youngest canine spay I`ve had done myself was 5 months old - she literally woke up as though she`d just had a lovely restful nap and the only sign that she`d had the op was a tiny row of stitches and a bald tum - the op site on a pup is considerably smaller [ except keyhole ], than would be comparatively on an older bitch because of there being less for the vet to go through and taking out a tiny organ compared to adult size.
As far as she was concerned from her behaviours from the moment of waking up afterward it was a case of :
" Op ? What op ? Has someone been ill or summat while I was napping :smt102 Where`s my toy, and mum I don`t arf feel extra peckish :smt017 "

Would I do 5 month spay on a dog again ?
Without question, absolutely yes, every time, it was so easy on her, no bruising even, nothing, and compared to girls I`ve had done older, no contest in terms of which it was easier on.

I think many people still think hormones regulating the womb are involved in a girls mental and physical growth - they are not, no connection, but human nature takes time to get past old fashioned concepts

Once I get my own old fashioned emotional kneejerk reaction past the thought of a 12 week old canine neuter I would probably have it done [ if I ever had a pup that young ]. As I`m fine with cats at that age having it done thats how I know its a purely emotional thing on my part and nothing to do with medical fact hence me wobbling on the fence but leaning toward it being absolutely fine
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »