register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you 'do' dominance?
Yes I believe in the dominance/heirachy/pack theory 51 43.22%
No I don't 'do' dominance 42 35.59%
Have absolutely no idea 1 0.85%
Sitting on the fence 24 20.34%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 7 of 30 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2007, 08:23 PM
No , I dont do dominance, I am not a dog nor do my dogs think I am a dog, so why would I use pack hierachy on them.

I allow my dogs to sit on sofa`s, go on beds, sit on my knee, and they so far have not tried to overthrow my home.

Although I do expect them to obey me, they dont rush out of the doors before me...they dont jump out of the car unless given a release command. but that is down to me wanting my dogs to have manners, I have rules , and they obey (most of the time)
Lara'sYorkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
To be honest If I had yorkies or other small dogs I dont' think I would "do" it either.. BUT when you have dogs that are the same height as you on their back legs and stronger.. then I think its needed
Well, I live with a biggish mix breed dog and we (myself and her owner) don't do it with her. I know alot of people who have large dogs who don't subscribe to dominance theories. Each to their own.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13
To be honest If I had yorkies or other small dogs I dont' think I would "do" it either.. BUT when you have dogs that are the same height as you on their back legs and stronger.. then I think its needed
Well we had a yorkie once (my father has it now) and if ever that needed to be told to p*ss off that one did....

Yet we have 4 danes that never ever need to be told twice this yorkie was a complete pratt in that instance i think its a breed specific thing some breeds need more control than others...

Mine are a giant breed and i have absolutely no qualms with them, the yorkie was a complete nightmare he was brought up no different to the danes he defo wasnt cuddled and saved from those orrible danes lol

I think every dog trained correctly can be a credit to you, just some breeds need more or less than others...
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Some dogs may well 'behave,' well without utilising any dominance techniques, but that doesn't mean that they don't understand the pack theory or that it is rubbish. It could be that people with well behaved dogs have a breed, or an individual dog that is more biddable and less challenging than others. It could be that that person naturally exudes the right kind energy. It could be the dog does actually does think it ranks higher than you but doesn't show aggression and so you ignore or let it get away with lots of quietly dominant or 'naughty' behaviours. Dominance doesn't mean punishment, or beating them. Rules, and knowing who they are in the pack are what dogs want.
Dogs without a doubt have a heirarchy. They challenge you all the time, they use body language, etc etc. Ignoring you, grumbling when you've told them to be quiet, jumping up, and things like that many people accept as normal just because it is common, and deny that their dog is dominant in any way. Dominance is a term used to describe YOU being leader of the pack, and therefore in control, instead of them. It doesn't mean being aggressive or horrible.
Just watch 'The Dog Whisperer,' with Cesar Millan on TV- he understands how to project energy and leadership through body language and simple dominance techniques- something all animals understand, because words are meaningless to them. Horses are also great animals to learn this with.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
Just watch 'The Dog Whisperer,' with Cesar Millan on TV- he understands how to project energy and leadership through body language and simple dominance techniques- something all animals understand, because words are meaningless to them. Horses are also great animals to learn this with.

He does`nt understand genuine dominance in dogs at all. All that person does is use force of choke chains and put dogs in situations they can`t handle until they go in to freeze mode through fear or insecurity. Thats not about understanding dogs, and its certainly not about `curing` them, its just using brute force on dogs and smooth talk on the gullible.
No way would I let that person anywhere near my dogs. If he emigrated to UK I would rather go abroad rather than have my dogs on the same land mass as that idiot and his glossy TV guff, he is`nt worthy of treading in my dogs alpha schmalpha poop

JMO
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Totally agree with patch!! hes got better in time but not for me frankly...

Have to go to bed now and get 4x12stone dogs off the bed, best get me boxing gloves on as if! Have a prong collar ready if need be
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Good post Sp

I think, whatever one's opinion of CM's methods, his amazing success at rehabilitating death row dogs, including Pitbulls, is proof enough that dominance theory is correct and it's application effective.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 11:37 PM
i admire CM and think his success rate is amazing,xxzbxx
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Great post Skyespirit. Totally agree.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran