View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Same here Inca, I get the slow cooker out, shove it all in around 7.00 am. and by the evening when Dave comes home it's fantastic! I can't wait that long though and have to dive in at 1 o'clock! I have a 2nd helping when Dave has his that way!!!

I love a turkey stew too with the legs and thighs if I cut them off a turkey, that's scrummy too!

I live by my slow cooker in the winter months Mind you, I'm not doing bad today, roast beef in the oven at the moment! This is the Last Supper before the dentist tomorrow when I won't be able to eat for a week!!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Has to be Stew and Dumplings here too but without the veggies lol!
Becky
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Same here Inca, I get the slow cooker out, shove it all in around 7.00 am. and by the evening when Dave comes home it's fantastic! I can't wait that long though and have to dive in at 1 o'clock! I have a 2nd helping when Dave has his that way!!!

I love a turkey stew too with the legs and thighs if I cut them off a turkey, that's scrummy too!

I live by my slow cooker in the winter months
All this sounds very interestin Helena and Inca...are slow cookers easy to use, i presume you canget them in differentr sizes as there is only the two of us....what do you cook in them? I think I may get one..
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Yep stew here as well, done in the slow cooker, usually lasts 2 days, not really bothered what meat goes in it, depends what I have in the freezer at the time we do love apple crumble and custard, or milk pudding, yummy
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 11:19 AM
I have a slow cooker that was a present last xmas. I have done a few recipes but need inspiration. All my recipes say I need to brown meat etc first. This has put me off using it as it adds to the time before school run in the morning.

Any methods/recipes received with thanks.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Slow cookers couldn't be simpler! Yes, you have to brown the meat first, but then I always do that before casseroling anything?? I always fry the onions too, it all adds to the flavour if you get them caramalised slowly first before putting them in a stew! I always sweat off any veg slowly in the frying pan too, but that's usually only carrots coz I don't like much root veg!

You can cook anythying, BUT, it always has to have water/stock in there, you can't sort of fry anything in one.It will never, ever burn either, even if you left it on all night. There's always a choice of high/medium/auto, and it's always best to leave a meal going for 5 hours, they say 3, but 5 hours is much better, all the flavour is held in coz it cooks so slowly, just simmers, unlike the oven when you get the horrible burnt on stuff on your dishes too! These are ceramic, and you soak the pot for a few minutes and voila off it all comes, easy peazy, I couldn't live without one!

I'm off for that roast beef now!!! Aberdeen Angus sirlion no less, mmmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm!!!!
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I think I am must be too lazy...... my fave winter warmer is chicken madras, rice and a garlic naan from local take away

not keen on stews but love my ready brek in the morning

Mel x
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I would just like to thank Inca for putting up that picture of her lovely stew! I am on day five of my clear fluid diet before my op next week.

I'm using my slow cooker to make my homemade soups, yesterdays was a lovely beef broth, todays is veg (onion and broccoli). Unfortunately I have to drain off the fluid and just have that but the dogs are enjoying the veg and pulses!! I've just eaten the remnants of yesterdays broth, it's always tastier the day after, just like stew or curry really. Tomorrow I might try a French Onion soup for a change. I would REALLY love something solid to eat but all this will be worth it.

My favourite winter warmer is Cottage Pie, homemade of course, served with seasonal veg and Yorkshire puds or baked dumplings followed by homemade fruit pie or crumble with fresh custard...............what am I doing................tormenting myself like this!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh you poor thing, what are we doing to you on this thread!!!!!!

Now, if it's any consolation, I will be joining you as from tomorrow, as I won't be able to eat anything after my dentist's visit tomorrow and he yanks out the rest of my back teeth, sooo, I'll be on some sort of clear liquid too, so you've now given me some suggestions, but how very boring for a whole 10 days until I get my new flashy gnashers!
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi,
My Lee only said the other day he can tell winter is coming as im cooking different meals now.
Our favourites are stew & those type of meals, full roast dinners, homemade curries, shepherds pie & toad in the hole
Tonight we are having pork curry that i made earlier & rice

sarah
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >