Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Is it a springer thing???

or do i have a thick dog??

millie, springer x collie - (mostly springer) is a naughty yet funny little puppy (7 months)

shes fab at obedience - but ona field - she wont come back fof a lead

i ahvent let her off yet - i ahve had her on an extendable lead and a long line - but as soon as she clocks a bird shes off - i can only get her attention if i give her a yank on the lead

other dogs - shes not too bad - she wants to play but is more controllable than when she sees birds - or even a flying leaf

im sticking with the long lining etc - to get her back - using a recall with toys, treats etc - running away from her - but like i said - see a bird flying (could be high in the sky!) she'll seee it and run

any suggestion as im worried i'll never be able to let her off!!!

p.s - she was spayed the other week!! just had her stitches out - still didnt stop her from running though -
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2007, 08:55 PM
You have to remember- this is a bird type dog, and used to spring the birds in hunting. I would never totally assume the dog would come back. While you can continue using a check cord ( a very long lead) to train and "reel" her in when you call- never let her off the lead in a area where she could run into trouble or run off..
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Isla is MAD on birds, but then that is what she was bred for so I'm quite pleased about it. I'll have to try and get some video cos when we got to the local cricket field she stalks the birds but won't chase until I utter the immortal word "Birdies!" Cracks me up everytime!

On a serious note, I would stick to the longline until you gain some control. Try starting out by calling her name when you're in the house and get her into the habit of coming to you on a certain command. Gradually move this out into the garden, then outdoors with no distractions moving upto distractions. I also find a whistle helps quite a lot!

It will take a long time, but worth it once you have that control. Also how does your dog feel about retrieving? I find that if I have a ball or dummy in my hand Isla can concentrate on nothing else! Very handy!!!

Also remember that she's only 7 months old and Springers take a long time to mature - Isla is now nearly 13 months old and I'm only just starting to get some sense out of her!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 09:57 AM
omg theres no hope is there???

shes a stubborn little s*d - she sometimes wont come in from the garden when you shout her or come back in the garden when shes called so i guess really ive no chance on a field

yet on a field shes bettter behaved than at home in some ways until she sees a bird!!!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:08 AM
hi suze,

think i have millies brother!!! my sam is the same as some peeps on here can vouch for. i have him on a long line at the mo cos he's just be off if i let him off-lead. i can let him off in certain areas that are quite secure, but open fields, forget it!!! millie is still quite young so i'm sure you will get the recall. my sam is approx 4 or 5 so a bit set in his ways. the key is just practice, practice, practice.

also try whistle training her to come when you blow the whistle. this is starting to work with sam now. the thing is when they dont come back straight away, you may start shouting etc, so they prob think i'm defo not going back now, whereas with the whistle it is just one tone, so however annoyed you are she wont be able to tell. you have to start in the house and garden though, then low distraction areas. give it a go you might be surprised. good luck with your little tinker!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 11:54 AM
hehe - thanks - i bought a whistle and i broke it lol!!

i will invest in a new one - as the shouting thing and tone of voice totally makes sense.

she is still young and ive never owned a springer before - neither have my folks so weer all learning about the breed lol!!

its a shame we have no enclosed parks etc round her -as the only sort of fenced off one is on a main road :<
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2007, 12:38 PM
thats like me, there are no really secure areas near me. but he has a good run on his line (its a 30 foot one), so i dont feel bad about his lack of off-lead exercise!

definitely a wake-up call owning a springer isn't it? they dont officially grow up til their about 8 years old . but they give you so much fun and affection, and unconditional love that you cant help but love them to bits despite all their faults or naughty behaviour

keep on with the whistle training though
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 12:57 PM
yeah i believe as long as they have a good walk - on or off lead (off leads better obv) and they are happy dogs then i dont feel so bad keeping her on a lunge line

a friend of mine had a springer that didnt come back - he spent 3 hours chasing it

are you in lymm (cheshire)? im in warrington lol - cheshire hehe - rubbish round here for enclosed walks

my mate knows somewhere enclosed in liverpool - mite go for a walk with her one day round there haha
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2007, 01:09 PM
i also do alot of other things with him at home or in the garden. i build an agility course in my garden which he loves, and i do heel work to music. he is definitely mentally stimulated cos he can sleep for england!

i know about the chasing them too!!! sam has disappeared 3 times now each for 8 hours!! he was found in someones garden the first time, the 2nd time he was waiting for me at the place where i usually walk them, the 3rd time he came home himself . very worrying i can tell you. so thats why he's on his long line!!!!

agree with you not very good for enclosed walks near me. lots of other lovely walks, but not so good for sam cos he'd just run off!!!!

yeah i'm in lymm. where abouts r u in w/ton?