Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 02:54 PM

Sheep Herding

Does anyone on here work their dogs on sheep or attend trials?

Thanks.
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Not intentionally

Bobby herds sheep very well though...........
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Gail
Not intentionally

Bobby herds sheep very well though...........
Please be careful if your dog is loose in a field of sheep, as the farmer is within his rights to shoot a dog who he feels is worrying his livestock.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I did a few years ago, I had a Kelpie Cross Border Collie, we had two pet sheep which she used to round up all the time, she was always trying to round up the cat as well

I never did anything serious with her, but I was taught a lot by a friend of the family who used to work his Kelpies, and so I did use her occassionally to help out a neighbour who had a small flock to bring them in when they had to sheared every so often so she was used then and was a brilliant worker
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes, at the time I was scared to death that a shot would ring out at any moment. I've never run so fast up a hill as I did that day

He has never been off the lead since.......
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Willow
I never did anything serious with her, but I was taught a lot by a friend of the family who used to work his Kelpies, and so I did use her occassionally to help out a neighbour who had a small flock to bring them in when they had to sheared every so often so she was used then and was a brilliant worker
Thanks Willow. I trained my collie pup a few times at around 3-4 months old but haven't done any since - in fact I have trained him to ignore them. He is now 15 months old and I would love to have a go at trialling, but I am worried about starting his training again as I do a lot of fell/hill walking and we come into regular contact with sheep. I just wondered what others views were.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gail
Yes, at the time I was scared to death that a shot would ring out at any moment. I've never run so fast up a hill as I did that day

He has never been off the lead since.......

Phew! You had me worried for a while
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli
Please be careful if your dog is loose in a field of sheep, as the farmer is within his rights to shoot a dog who he feels is worrying his livestock.
Is an owner within his rights to shoot a farmer who he feels is worrying his dog ?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Paul G.
Is an owner within his rights to shoot a farmer who he feels is worrying his dog ?
Yes Although for most farmers it would be the very last resort
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli
Does anyone on here work their dogs on sheep or attend trials?

Thanks.
I trialled my first male BC extensively for a couple of years & he was very successful, I didn't have the time with my other dogs & IMHO it's wrong to start something you can't keep up with for a BC.

I might let Rjj have a go at sheep when his obedience is solid. at present he's going through a lack of concentration stage for everything but retrieve
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >