View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Argghhhhh! I knew the good vibes wouldn't last!
My builder rang tonight and said as my house is to be built on a "fuel bog" we might need to put pilings in for the foundations. So I am having to get some experts in with heavy machinery to find out how far down they will need to go before hitting rock.......

Mind you, living on a fuel bog..... the heating bills will be minimal - just go out and dig a chunk out of the garden and sling it on the fire! Barbeques might be out though, sitting on several thousand tonnes of fuel joking apart, if you drive across the Boor bog in County Offaly (the biggest bog in Ireland) there are signs up everywhere to beware of the fire risk Good job I don't smoke
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Hurray, we're back on track.... the test holes were good so we just need an ordinary foundation (just as well as I have a limited budget) the ground around the house is clay, a bit of a surprise!
Got the engineer, the builder, the designers and (nearly) the concrete - looks like the demolition/foundations may be started next week. I will have my camera charged up and even blow the dust off the camcorder!

A small snag came to light tonight though - to get to the plot, you have to cross the river... the only way over is by a 200 year old stone bridge, 10 foot wide, and the boys will need to get cement lorries and a crane across I just hope they don't crush too many wild orchids that grow like weeds there. It sounds a bit like a fairy tale - the old cottage over the stone bridge - perhaps there is a leprachaun living under the bridge!

It's all a great learning curve. In my position (self-appointed) of project manager I'm off to buy my hard hat tomorrow! I'm not even going to THINK about how on earth I am going to pay the mortgage....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy
perhaps there is a leprachaun living under the bridge!
......or a troll.....
Delighted to hear the good news Gill xx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Good news and exciting times ahead for you x
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 09:32 PM
I bought the hard hat today (tasteful yellow plastic thing ) all ready for a site meeting on Saturday.
The 85 year old farmer who is my nearest neighbour is having a field day. Nothing this exciting has happened in Killeen since he found the last owner of the old cottage dead in his chair in the 1970's...on the spot where my bedroom is going to be
He is a lovely man and still working. I just wish I could understand him better as he has a VERY strong accent and not many teeth but he is very enthusiastic and welcoming. I am sure he will look out for me once I move in.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2006, 05:29 AM
Pictures of you modelling said hard hat would be appreciated - I'm sure your new "beau" (85 y/o farmer with few teeth) will oblige..........

Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Update!
It all started happening on Monday......
The cottage is definitely down!
[img-big]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/spotsmad/f1becb50.jpg[/img-big]
The boys were busy clearing.....
[img-big]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/spotsmad/3bbff5e8.jpg[/img-big]
The corner was prepared for the barn...
[img-big]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/spotsmad/bb7894e3.jpg[/img-big]
And by Friday night the foundations were dug, after I had shifted the house nine feet and the builder shifted it three feet forward again
[img-big]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/spotsmad/6cf937f3.jpg[/img-big]
For those in the know, don't worry about those pegs - more work was done on them this morning to straighten them out!
Took more pics this morning but not up on Photobucket yet. The next field has mares with very young foals who came up to the fence to see what was going on. Very cute!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Aww wow Deccy,Good for you,how cool,
It will be soooo satisfying having your own place from scratch,Will the doglet have 'lots of garden' to play in?
I hope all goes well for you xxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Splendid progress
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 09:47 PM
The doglets will have nearly an acre to gallop around in...
Finally got today's pics up on Photobucket, the first is of the wooded bit at the back of the other field, Polo and Deccy will spend months christening all those trees
[img-big]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/spotsmad/38d0cbff.jpg[/img-big]
...and as I was driving off I got a good shot of the new driveway...
[img-big]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/spotsmad/Site3rdjunenewdrive.jpg[/img-big]
You can see some of the foundations to the right of it.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >