Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 09:00 PM

My own place by Christmas!

The saga of my house has been trundling on for over a year, (it took that long just to buy the site ) and I got to the point where I would rather sell the plot and think again than go through the pain of getting the planned house built.
The latest fiasco was trying to get a builder having been stood up FOUR TIMES by one just to come to the site and look at what was required, I really thought I would never find someone to do it who was actually reliable as well.
Then I got talking to the kennel owner where my dogs go on daycare while I am at work. She had some work done, and so did her husband on his recording studio and they both thought the builder they used was brilliant! I rang him, arranged to meet him at 3pm today.... and he didn't turn up.
Just as I was sinking into a mega depression, he rang - thought it was tomorrow, ended up meeting me there tonight - and he can do it!!! AND to the timescale I need, said I will be living there by Christmas!
Now I know you can't take anyone's word as gospel - but it sounds like a step forward, at least!!!!!
I may be sitting on an orange box on a bare concrete floor in a house with no heating in December - but it will be MINE!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Good luck with your new home Deccy!

Have you considered them kit homes??? I know they come across as a Lego style,but are supposed to be quite good!
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 09:11 PM
All the best Deccy please keep us posted very exciting xx
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 09:13 PM
thats fantastic news keep us posted
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-05-2006, 09:13 PM
That's great news Deccy! It'll all come together in the end.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Have you considered them kit homes??? I know they come across as a Lego style,but are supposed to be quite good!
That's exactly what it is - and yes, it's cheap and put up in a week! But I need the foundations/base floor done and once the kit is up, I need someone to do the roof tiles, exterior doors, windows..... and the small matter of the outside blockwork/rendering... not forgetting the chimney!
For those interested, if you look up Century Homes on the Internet (based in Ireland so may not appear on a UK search) look for the "Thomastown" design. (Under "dormer" designs) That is it!
The plans include a stable block and a barn but those will have to wait until I find more money
Surprisingly, for the amount it will cost I could only get a 40 year old bungalow with not much land and in need of thousands spending on it, ready built so although the new one sounds grand it is actually my best value for (not much) money!

Yes of course I will post a blow-by-blow series of updates - if I don't have a nervous breakdown before it's finished Watch this space, as they say.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Deccy thats just the best news (hug)...what did we all tell you when you were so down the other week? There are always alternatives, never give up!
I hope we get to see pics of the finished article orange box and all

Deccys House

darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2006, 10:11 PM
How Exciting for you Deccy ...try to take the time to enjoy the experience .. and post pics as it progresses ...
Rachel
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Deccy. I really wish you the very best of luck with your project.I say this as somone with 15 years experience of working in building. I am English and living in Ireland for the last 10 years and do understand exactly what you are doing. My advice is be very very careful who you employ and know exactly how much they are charging you and what they are doing for the money
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Well, I'm sitting here with a huge grin on my face. I am so pleased for you honey. Remember, there will be little disappointments and triumphs along the way, but all of us on DW will be here to listen to the rants, "dry" your tears, grin and whoop with joy along with you.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >