View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2005, 03:11 PM
If you want the room to look bigger with a light feel go for curtains that blend in with the walls and add colour/texture by adding interesting cushions/pictures/wallhangings/rugs .
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Neutrals are definitely better LS! Avoid loud colours or pastel colours if you can - neutrals make a place airy and lighter - and once again are more attractive to the general buyer when looking to sell

If you dog isn't a chewer, long curtains that spill on to the floor make a room look taller and elegant.

I totally agree with Mini's thinking as well - colour should be added through accessories

I have neutral curtains and have tied pine cones on wire to use them as tie backs - it may sound naff but it really gives the room a earthy feel - I love natural colours
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2005, 03:39 PM
LS have pale cream with green trimming curtains in my dining room

and terracotta and green in my lounge

want some pics?
i made them all

also have lovely 2 and 3 seater terracotta sofas i,m looking for a new home for
bet you are miles from me
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Pale curtains Lucky. If you choose a colour to match something in the room then you're stuck with it! As Myschievous and M/C and Mini have said already, you will be adding colour to the room with your new sofa (when you get it) or the one you already have, and you can always add colour with extra's. Gives you much more scope, just don't go for green!

Venetian blinds are now trendy, you will find them everywhere. I have blinds and curtains apart from the kitchen and bathrooms where we just have venetian blinds. I like the blinds to block out the sun when it gets too hot in the summer, or dark evenings. I only draw the curtains in the winter as I think they make the room more cosy, and as Ingrid says, always go to the floor, never to the window frame coz that looks naff I think, and it also gives the room a totally different feel.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Don't even talk to me about muggy

I'm sitting here feeling really crappy cuz I have the sodding windows shut! do you know why??...the amount of huge spiders that have been marching in here over the last few days...I killed 3 huuuuuuuge ******s within half an hour a couple nights ago...It has given me such eebie geebies that I am trying to keep them out...Why don't we have fly screens on our windows like in the states?...

Oh and where is my fan?...It's on in the other room for the flippin dogs...I am gonna suffocate

Fred I don't like the light green idea it will go with nothing...LOL...sorry but it's true and if I'm gonna suffocate to death I may as well be honest about green curtains!...lol
I wish you hadn't told me that! Spider Alert! It's always Sepember they start doing this, so I will have to have words with my little spider patrol man namely Georgie (he loves 'em, yum yum!) I won't be having the french doors open all evening tonight then!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
I wish you hadn't told me that! Spider Alert! It's always Sepember they start doing this, so I will have to have words with my little spider patrol man namely Georgie (he loves 'em, yum yum!) I won't be having the french doors open all evening tonight then!
Your lucky...I have been seeing spiders about since April but course now it's early Sept' it is worse..doesn't help that our house backs out on to a farm feild! which they just harvested...Now summer is almost over I really can't wait till we get snow now and all the insects go away...lol...way off topic for curtains, Ok so LS go with a light colour so that you can easily see any nasty critters running up them! there back to topic
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Lol Myschievous! Fred and Foxy managed to get from my pc chair to blooming sausages on my thread! Sorry Lucky, don't get any with a sausage shaped pattern on them either, or insects come to that! Stick to plain and make sure they're lined, they hang better and nobody can see through them.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Lucky's gonna come back and think we have totally lost the plot...lol

lol@you Helen
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I would go neutral too. Probably something close to your walls, you don't want too many different things going on in the room. If you keep it neutral and light you can add other things to tie it all together. At the moment you could get some tie backs or something with blue in them to tie it into the sofa you have now, and then if you do change your sofa you can match them to the new one - that way it's cheaper than changing everything. Would definately go for floor length, it's much nicer! When you've decided, we need to see pics of your snazzy new room!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Okay - what's going on? I go away for a couple of days and you all go bonkers!

Nautral sounds like a good idea - we have had three samples on loan and I am more for the plain cream that match the walls but Steve is going for the most patterned ones. I mean really patterned. We are back to the curtain place tonight for another look .

Jackiew - the pale cream with a hint of something sounds more like what I was thinking. It would go with the general colour scheme and allow for a new sofa in the future. I'd love to see your pics.

Aw you are dead sweet - yep we are ages away, down in Herts, although Steve is from North Wales - Rhos-on-Sea actually . The sofa we have now is sooo comfy but I would prefer a terracotta colour. It's just trying to get Steve to agree, he loves his cosy sofa Maybe we could get it recovered as it is in excellent condition.

The carpet is horrible, a goldy colour gone grey-green, not my fault - it was a batchelor pad before we got married but I'm gradually changing things Gradually being the operative word
Thanks guys.
xxxxx
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >