View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Diet/supplements for old dogs for brain function?

I got some Aktivait for Inca a few weeks back to help brain function and prevent her getting CCD.

As she doesn't like tablets I've been giving her a wet kong (Naturediet) or stuffed in one of those bones that were previously stuffed with turkey for xmas. (she doesn't bother with the bones just likes emptying them) for breakfast with the Aktivait in.

Other than I've noticed her light raincoat is getting a little tighter suggesting that she's gained weight, she also seems to be more nervous and will sit trembling and just want to go to bed (sleeps on my bed) this was like 5pm. There was nothing scary happening at the time..only JJ playing on rug, though he had zoomies abit as been raining all day here so no football in garden, only their two walks.

I was wondering if there are known side effects to the Aktivait? I'm not sure whether to give her dose a miss tomorrow?

It had made her less grumpy with JJ when she started on it and seemed to be helping and she was playing more but she seemed to have gone back to sleeping most of the time. She's not really interested in playing in garden but it is cold and I can't stay out there too long with JJ before I'm turning blue, but hoping can encourage her out more in summer when can get paddling pool out and leave back door open all day for them to sit in sun.

She seems to grumble alot when moving around at night (she's been on Mobile Bones since she was 10 to prevent arthritis and can still run!) and can feel her tummy like what I call 'washing machine tummy', she's on JWB senior which is a low protein level (only about 18% I think), not every night though.

I'm thinking of trying her on the Bob & Lush or Fishmongers Salmon & Potato that both have higher protein levels than she's been on. Do you think they will give her more energy without needing the Aktivait? Maybe less carbs (JWB has more rice & barley in) will help her lose weight? She doesn't have as much kibble as what's on the feeding guide.

I know fish is meant to be excellent for brain function and would be lower in fat than the duck that JJ is having? . are they any other supplements which might help without side effects?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Mollie didn't do well on them, we only used them for a month but she was a nervous wreck at the end of that month. Stopped them and by about day 5 she was back to normal.

I stopped commercial foods and decided to make our own, increased her number of walks but shortened them, and she has done so much better. All her confusion has almost gone and she is happier in herself too.

Don't know if that would work for others but we have seen a huge improvement.

She was at vet yesterday for health check and we were told her coat was magnifcent for her age, she is doing great again for her age and to keep doing what we are as it obviously works for her.

Only problems are hearing going a bit, and eyesight not so good but teeth are lovely.
Olga Hubicka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Fish is certainly an excellent option - particularly oily fish such as salmon, mackerel and so on - but even white fish is good. Anything high in omega3, anyway. Busby has a few giant king prawns with the tails on every day - he loves them and the shell is also good for him. And dried fish skins (from Fish4Dogs or Angell Petco) make brilliant treats.

In terms of supplements, choline is recommended for CCD (in fact it's one of the ingredients in Aktivait) but I am not aware of any pure choline vetinary products although you can get choline from health food shops. Would choline formulated for humans work for a dog? I don't see why not, but you would probably have ask your vet for advice. The nearest thing vetinary thing I've found is Cholodin - but it looks as though you would have to order it from the US.

Olga
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Mollie didn't do well on them, we only used them for a month but she was a nervous wreck at the end of that month. Stopped them and by about day 5 she was back to normal.

I stopped commercial foods and decided to make our own, increased her number of walks but shortened them, and she has done so much better. All her confusion has almost gone and she is happier in herself too.

Don't know if that would work for others but we have seen a huge improvement.

She was at vet yesterday for health check and we were told her coat was magnifcent for her age, she is doing great again for her age and to keep doing what we are as it obviously works for her.

Only problems are hearing going a bit, and eyesight not so good but teeth are lovely.

hi... was it Aktivait you meant made Mollie a nervous wreck? what home cooked diet do you have her on?

Inca seems a nervous wreck tonight ..even when JJ was no-where near her but had antler chew against the skirting board so was making a noise as he was trying to get hold of it properly..so had to let her go to bed on her own and stay up with him in the lounge so he gets some play time before bed.

As she can't tolerate him on bed with us which makes it difficult for me been wheelchair user and needing to go lie in bed to watch telly from early evening. so she's gonna have to come back off it!