View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-03-2012, 07:54 PM

McDonald’s confirms that it’s no longer using ‘pink slime’ chemical in hamburgers

Only just heard of this... did it make the headlines in the UK?

McDonald's announced last week that, as of last August, is has stopped using ammonium hydroxide in the production of its hamburgers. MSNBC reports that the chemical, used in fertilizers, household cleaners and even homemade explosives, was also used to prepare McDonalds' hamburger meat.

And while the announcement is making headlines, you may (or may not) want to know about some other unusual chemicals being used in the production of some of our most-popular foods:
  • Propylene glycol: This chemical is very similar to ethylene glycol, a dangerous anti-freeze. This less-toxic cousin prevents products from becoming too solid. Some ice creams have this ingredient; otherwise you'd be eating ice.

• Carmine: Commonly found in red food coloring, this chemical comes from crushed cochineal, small red beetles that burrow into cacti. Husks of the beetle are ground up and forms the basis for red coloring found in foods ranging from cranberry juice to M&Ms.

• Shellac: Yes, this chemical used to finish wood products also gives some candies their sheen. It comes from the female Lac beetle.

• L-cycsteine: This common dough enhancer comes from hair, feathers, hooves and bristles.

• Lanolin (gum base): Next time you chew on gum, remember this. The goopiness of gum comes from lanolin, oils from sheep's wool that is also used for vitamin D3 supplements.

• Silicon dioxide: Nothing weird about eating sand, right? This anti-caking agent is found in many foods including shredded cheese and fast food chili.

So, what moved McDonald's to make the change in their hamburger production? In a statement posted on its website, McDonald's senior director of quality systems Todd Bacon wrote:

"At the beginning of 2011, we made a decision to discontinue the use of ammonia-treated beef in our hamburgers. This product has been out of our supply chain since August of last year. This decision was a result of our efforts to align our global standards for how we source beef around the world."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...171209662.html
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Oh I am so glad I am vegetarian!

Please don't tell me they put nasties in the McFlurries though?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Oh, just yuck!

Me and Carys saw this on the news some weeks back and it's just another reason I wouldn't touch that yuck.

So they're ditching it? Why was ammonium hydroxide in it in the first place?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Oh I am so glad I am vegetarian!

Please don't tell me they put nasties in the McFlurries though?
I'm not sure - but would you trust them?

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Oh, just yuck!

Me and Carys saw this on the news some weeks back and it's just another reason I wouldn't touch that yuck.

So they're ditching it? Why was ammonium hydroxide in it in the first place?
I think it's an antimicrobial - so used to 'cancel out' the effects of gone-off/crap quality meat perhaps?
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Rather starve than eat a McDonalds!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I bet people would still eat there if they had that picture up on their wall in McDs!

Here in Cyprus there is a wealth of fresh fruit and veg and healthy fare at the eateries all along the seafront - mostly fish tavernas but all do gorgeous salads and all sorts.

But when the Brits turn up on holiday - which establishment has the most customers? McDs! and the KFC! Some of them are asking where there is one before they've unpacked!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2012, 10:40 PM
As I like Mcdonalds, I'm one of those that would be eating me burger and chips even if they had a piccie of the goo up on the wall
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Glad I'm a vegetarian
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
As I like Mcdonalds, I'm one of those that would be eating me burger and chips even if they had a piccie of the goo up on the wall
Me too! I know crap goes in but tbh, I don't care as it's a treat for me. I am slim and healthy but I enjoy a good pig out at Maccy D's. I worry about what goes in my other food, not when I'm eating junk food.

Helen
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Me too! I know crap goes in but tbh, I don't care as it's a treat for me. I am slim and healthy but I enjoy a good pig out at Maccy D's. I worry about what goes in my other food, not when I'm eating junk food.

Helen
Ditto this!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >