View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I dont think their will be any positives in the next programme especially since the first was so one sided.

All these programmes do is encourage the popularity of designer mutts and help towards the extinction of many pedigrees.

its a pitty this programme only showed two poorly bred individuals and not the hundreds of healthy breeds out their, people who dont know a lot about dogs will be miss lead and end up making the wrong choices.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Er No No No No

It simply showed 2 pedigree breeds of dogs that have serious health problems-no mention of how to find a breeder that did all the tests

It deliberately omitted information like the 2 GSDs shown were not bred in the UK & one wasn't even resident in the UK & the poor movement shown was an unrelated 6 month old puppy at another show

It omitted totally a section on the Irish/Irish Red & White Setters which showed the breeders in a good light(having bred out CLAD & PRA)by health testing-why simply because it was showing the KC breeders in a good light(JH has admitted this)

JH has not done anything to help the research early cancer deaths in her chosen breed(Flatcoat Reteivers)
Like I said - I didn't watch the first one, I was just assuming Will watch this next one though..
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
The puppy farmers loved it! All it did was make joe public think KC dogs were bad and everything else was great
As for welfare, the puppy farmers keep even more poor dogs in apalling conditions so how do you think it helped?
I don't think that was the case tbh - if anything the program made people more diligent about all breeders.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Er No No No No

It simply showed 2 pedigree breeds of dogs that have serious health problems-no mention of how to find a breeder that did all the tests

It deliberately omitted information like the 2 GSDs shown were not bred in the UK & one wasn't even resident in the UK & the poor movement shown was an unrelated 6 month old puppy at another show

It omitted totally a section on the Irish/Irish Red & White Setters which showed the breeders in a good light(having bred out CLAD & PRA)by health testing-why simply because it was showing the KC breeders in a good light(JH has admitted this)

JH has not done anything to help the research early cancer deaths in her chosen breed(Flatcoat Reteivers)
Are you sure? Really sure? Not even a donation to the tumour survey? You absolutely sure about that???
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I don't think that was the case tbh - if anything the program made people more diligent about all breeders.
Dont believe that at all, for the majority of dog owners, its not made one bit of difference to them reseaching where they buy their dogs from.
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I think you are wrong! If the general public were more "diligent " the puppy farmers, "doodle" breeders and the back yard brigade would of scaled down or hopefully quit the dog breeding game as Joe public would not have given them the time of day. As it is they are on the increase,puppy farmers in Wales are increasing their numbers of bitches in the hundreds and being granted planning permission to do so by the ruling councils.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 04:51 PM
This is the reality of where most of the general public get their pedigree dogs from - only 2% of pedigree dogs are show bred - only 35% are Kc registered - all the rest come from puppy farms or back yard breeders - the title of her film was Pedigree dogs exposed but of course she did not 'expose' those responsible for the overwhelming majority of pedigree dogs bred in the UK choosing instead to vilify the 2% of show breeders ( you know - the ones that are doing the bulk of ethical breeding ! ) and the public heard her message loud and clear ..no wonder the puppy farmers all LOVED that first programme and are rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of the fall out form the next - honestly if it was'nt so unbelievably stupid I'd weep .

Look at that picture again folks - THATS what JH and the RSPCA should be focussing on if they REALLY want to make a difference to pedigree dogs - but of course solving the problem is MUCH harder and way less satisfying that spending your time sticking metaphorical pins in the show world and listening to them squeal !!
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2012, 04:51 PM
You will never stop some people from buying from BYB's or puppy farms, that is fact. That has nothing to do with JH or the KC. You could educate all you want about the dark side to puppy farms, but some people will just never get it. I don't understand how JH can be blamed for the increase in irresponsible and unknowledgeable people buying dogs from less than reputeable outlets.

Regardless of what your opinion on JH is, you can't deny her documentary had the desired effect it intended, to get everyone talking, to highlight the issues to the average dog owning public. The KC wouldn't have done squat without the documentary and the resulting pressures, so positives did come from PDE. While some might call it "biased" or "sensationlist" that is what these exposure documentaries are about. All these undercover kind of programmes are similar. Some breeders, and i'm guessing ( hoping ) that they're in the minority do not come across well either. Some of the comments that they've left on the FB page ( "stop the BBC making another PDE" or whatever, is not doing themselves justice. I can understand frustration and feeling victimized even, but can you really blame people for turning to crossbreeds when breeders act like it's their way or the highway kind of thinking? I'll be buying my first purebred within the next year hopefully, and it IS daunting when you see/read negativity surrounding breeders. So far all the breeders/owners i've met in "my" breed seem to be really nice and helpful people and i'm hoping that remains true once i'm part of the "in crowd" so to speak.

*Sorry for any spelling mistakes, spell check isn't working*
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Nope I think it did exactly the opposite. A HUGE increase in designer crossbreeds with no health testing because it wasnt necessary as they were crossbreeds that had hybrid vigour! It was a very very good and positive program for puppy farmers!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
You will never stop some people from buying from BYB's or puppy farms, that is fact. That has nothing to do with JH or the KC. You could educate all you want about the dark side to puppy farms, but some people will just never get it. I don't understand how JH can be blamed for the increase in irresponsible and unknowledgeable people buying dogs from less than reputeable outlets.

Regardless of what your opinion on JH is, you can't deny her documentary had the desired effect it intended, to get everyone talking, to highlight the issues to the average dog owning public. The KC wouldn't have done squat without the documentary and the resulting pressures, so positives did come from PDE. While some might call it "biased" or "sensationlist" that is what these exposure documentaries are about. All these undercover kind of programmes are similar. Some breeders, and i'm guessing ( hoping ) that they're in the minority do not come across well either. Some of the comments that they've left on the FB page ( "stop the BBC making another PDE" or whatever, is not doing themselves justice. I can understand frustration and feeling victimized even, but can you really blame people for turning to crossbreeds when breeders act like it's their way or the highway kind of thinking? I'll be buying my first purebred within the next year hopefully, and it IS daunting when you see/read negativity surrounding breeders. So far all the breeders/owners i've met in "my" breed seem to be really nice and helpful people and i'm hoping that remains true once i'm part of the "in crowd" so to speak.

*Sorry for any spelling mistakes, spell check isn't working*
Because her programme focused on the show world of pedigree dogs... which sent many running for the unregistered dogs/xbreeds, becuase they are healtheir dont you know.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 42 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »