Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
For me personally it's about health risks, not convenience. I'm not one for whipping a dogs internal organs out just to make my life easier (not saying that all those who neuter automatically do). That said I'm not irresponsible enough to end up with accidental litters anyway so I can afford to leave my dogs entire if needs be.

For bitches the health risks of being left entire without being bred are high and the resulting diseases are often fatal, therefore any bitch I own would be spayed eventually.

Dogs on the other hand are left entire unless their behaviour starts to cause a problem. From what I remember when I read up on the subject, having a dog castrated doesn't really decrease the dogs risk from disease (apart from testicular cancer obviously, which is relatively rare anyway).

I'm more in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp with neutering personally.
how can you guarantee that your dogs will never have an accidental litter?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
how can you guarantee that your dogs will never have an accidental litter?
By being a responsible dog owner and making sure they never get the chance.

When do you think they would ever get the chance?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:05 PM
how is that a lazy option? for many dogs, if they smell an in season bitch no amount of training will bring them back under control.
then if they react like that then yes,for their own good it would be kinder for them to be neutered.

i have 6 entire males not one of them acts like that,but as i havnt had them castrated they should be kept on leads??

it is a lazy option if the only reason you spay/neuter is so that you dont have to keep an eye on your dog to stop accidental breeding.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:09 PM
For me personally it's about health risks, not convenience. I'm not one for whipping a dogs internal organs out just to make my life easier (not saying that all those who neuter automatically do). That said I'm not irresponsible enough to end up with accidental litters anyway so I can afford to leave my dogs entire if needs be.

For bitches the health risks of being left entire without being bred are high and the resulting diseases are often fatal, therefore any bitch I own would be spayed eventually.

Dogs on the other hand are left entire unless their behaviour starts to cause a problem. From what I remember when I read up on the subject, having a dog castrated doesn't really decrease the dogs risk from disease (apart from testicular cancer obviously, which is relatively rare anyway).

I'm more in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp with neutering personally.
im with you on this one
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:12 PM
i personally think all dogs, who wont be bred from, should be spayed/neutered. any dog i have had or will have, will be neutered or spayed. too many dogs die every day through overpopulation, and unless a dog is spayed/neutered then there is always a chance of them breeding an unplanned litter and making the problem worse. even the most responsible people could have their dog breeding a litter. spaying and neutering are the only way to 100% make sure that cannot happen. i personally, think that any entire dog should be kept onlead all the time.
lol your having a laugh I have two stud dogs that also have 100% recall, why should I keep them on lead?
its the in season bitches I dont trust talking about my own that is,
that said, I never walk them in an area with any other dogs when they are in season.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
im with you on this one
But you're a Vet Nurse aren't you??!!!

I do think there's a lot of scaremongering re neutering, but then I suppose you have to account for all the numpty owners who don't give a fig and let their dogs have accidental litters.

We had an unspayed bitch for nearly 11 years and she never had an accidental litter. It's not difficult if you're responsible and know your dogs.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
By being a responsible dog owner and making sure they never get the chance.
Same here and we have kept entire dogs and bitches together and never had an accidental mating.
Meg had 3 season's before she was spayed no accidental litter here,as you said it's called been responsible
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
then if they react like that then yes,for their own good it would be kinder for them to be neutered.

i have 6 entire males not one of them acts like that,but as i havnt had them castrated they should be kept on leads??

it is a lazy option if the only reason you spay/neuter is so that you dont have to keep an eye on your dog to stop accidental breeding.
Hmm, that is interesting. So if, for example, you are walking through a park with your 6 entire males off lead and someone comes walking directly past you with a bitch or two in season, your entire males would ignore the bitch completely? or you would be able to call them off immediately?

I have to say that I am quite amazed at the number of people on this forum who say they would have such control of an entire dog off lead around an in season bitch. Judging by the completely out of control entire dogs around here, I dread to think what would happen if they came across an in season bitch!

I also find it interesting that some intact dog owners moan about people walking their bitches in season. If owners of entire dogs had control of their dogs, then people walking bitches in season shouldn't be an issue.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hmm, that is interesting. So if, for example, you are walking through a park with your 6 entire males off lead and someone comes walking directly past you with a bitch or two in season, your entire males would ignore the bitch completely? or you would be able to call them off immediately?

I have to say that I am quite amazed at the number of people on this forum who say they would have such control of an entire dog off lead around an in season bitch. Judging by the completely out of control entire dogs around here, I dread to think what would happen if they came across an in season bitch!

I also find it interesting that some intact dog owners moan about people walking their bitches in season. If owners of entire dogs had control of their dogs, then people walking bitches in season shouldn't be an issue.
hmmm,well for a start i wouldnt be out with all six of my males off the lead
bodylanguage is a give away..if i thought my dog was thinking of 'bitchin' i would recall walk the other way,and yes put back on lead
and,to be fair untill last month they also lived with entire bitches,they also see them at work.
and i would never walk my bitch in season off the lead at the park either.
as i said before my bitches all get spayed when mature,and if there was a medical issue or a problem with behaviour/hormones then i would castrate my lads..till then..........
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 09:39 PM
My dog was castrated as his testicle never dropped, but even if it did I would have still had him done eventually x
Page 5 of 33 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »