View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Again if you dont have any behaviour problems and are careful is it worth the cost and risk?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Humm....Bitches....for my part - I feel should be speyed if not going to be used for breeding.

Dogs.....well - I used to think that it was a good idea to Neuter...then I had Gabe....he was 2 1/2 when he came to me - he is not 7 (coming up for 8 this year !)
He does not mark indoors, we get a bit of whining when Siren is in season, but a kong or bone will keep him more than happy, he does not run off...he is in no way aggressive (unless I am not here aparenlty!)...I am not one for trying to fix something that is not broken in the first place.
Very similar here - it was only when considering whether to have Tip done that I started to think that perhaps it wasn't necessary for All males to be done no matter what. In the end I did decide to, but it really made me question whether in some cases it may do more harm than good.

IMO the risk of pyo makes it worth neutering all bitches that aren't to be bred from.

I also think it important that anyone chosing not to neuter makes damn sure that accidental matings don't happen - no excuses (I know I'm preaching to the converted here)
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Tyler is 4 years old and entire,we never planned on having him castrated unless there was an issue.He is fine,has no aggression towards other dogs or other entire males and there is absolutely no reason in our minds to castrate him,he also may be back in the ring later this year.

Meg is spayed and was done so as an emergency after developing Pyo at 20 months.If she hadn't of had Pyo she would also have been left entire.

Kizzy,she is still a puppy and we have no plans at present to have her spayed.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I believe in choice and mine is to leave my male intact unless there is a real reason not to. I know that it is Beau's testosterone which bolsters him and stops him from being a total woose.

On our walks we used to bump into an Irish wolfhound who had issues with other dogs after being attacked on several occasions. The last time we saw him, his owner had said they were going to see a behaviorist to see if they could work on his dog aggression/fear. I bumped into his owners wife 2 weeks later out with their other dogs and asked where the big guy was. He had died due to complications of his castration op. Now I am not saying that it is a dangerous op but there are always risks which IMO are underplayed.
As I said I believe in choice but I will not put my boy through an IMO unnecessary op.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I guess I just dont know enough about the medical issues spaying or neutering can have to understand them ,but to me if a dog isnt spayed or neutered then there is real chance of accidents happening.
A friend of my found a male dog in his back yard (five foot fences, gate locked) and low and behold his bitch is pregnant. One I dont get why he wouldnt spay his bitch and whoever owned the male dog not to neuter him to stop any chance of a litter happening
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
pyo's sadly are far too common,testicular cancer is not as common as you think,testicular hyperplasia is.

i understand tha case for neutering as not to bring more pups into the world...but castrating for castrations sake,in a multidog household? if it aint broke dont fix it(my dogs dont scent mark,hump.run after bitches) what would i acheive from castration at this point?
I stand with you on this.

as i'm planning another dog next year castration is one area where i wont routinely consider it.

both my 2 are 'done' BUT is wish i hadnt with Hector. Bonnie yes as there is more trouble with a bitch, but a well balanced dog i dont feel its nesscesary.
pack structure is also a very valid point.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
I guess I just dont know enough about the medical issues spaying or neutering can have to understand them ,but to me if a dog isnt spayed or neutered then there is real chance of accidents happening.
A friend of my found a male dog in his back yard (five foot fences, gate locked) and low and behold his bitch is pregnant. One I dont get why he wouldnt spay his bitch and whoever owned the male dog not to neuter him to stop any chance of a litter happening
which is why a bitch in season should not be outdoors unsupervised whether in a yard or not.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
which is why a bitch in season should not be outdoors unsupervised whether in a yard or not.
I guess I just think spaying them stops the issue (or neutering, not sexist )
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
I guess I just think spaying them stops the issue (or neutering, not sexist )
yes it does, but if a bitch isn't spayed for whatever reason, she needs to be constantly supervised whilst she is in heat.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I had Selkie spayed before her first season. I was asked to do so by her breeder and I complied.

Pharaoh had to be neutered after he failed to jump completely over some barbed wire that had been hidden in grass by hunt saboteurs. He was so badly damaged they had to neuter him.

Jack was neutered to prevent his abusive breeders stealing him back after all of their other stud dogs were seized by the RSPCA.

Kismet I had every intention of keeping entire and maybe even breeding from one day in the future, but after much consideration into whether breeding more Huskamutes was entirely ethical or necessary and after the trauma of her seasons I spayed after her second season just to prevent us or her from having to go through the hell of her season again. She had a horrible time and was clearly miserable. Spaying her does not seem to have had any effect on her coat or temperament at all.

Having had entire dogs and bitches before. I would personally always spay/neuter any dog I may have in the future.
Page 3 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »