Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
In terms of behaviour I'm un-decided whether we were right or wrong to neuter Woody at 7 months. I guess we'll never know.

He is a lovely, lovely little chap now (10 months) but between 6 & 8 months he was horrid. But was that him being normal, him being bad or us not knowing what it was/how to handle it. Or a combination of all three!

In my opinion there are far too many contributory factors during the first years of puppy-dom to ever truly know the benefits or down side of early castration. It will always depend on the dog, it's environment & it's owner.

I therefore think each case should be judged on it's own merit.
Thats sort of my point too though,it is impossible to say if a behaviour is because the dog is still a pup and maturing...or if it is because of it's testicles. Best then to wait and get to know the dog better surely and then neuter once the dog is older, more mature and you know it better.

I am not pro neutering at all...but I am pro assessing each case on it's own merits. I think it is very hard to do that unless the enthusiam of youth can be removed as a possible cause of problem behaviours. IME pups of 6 months are an absolute nightmare...but they do settle down as they age.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:29 PM
evening all
i have been a vn for 19years. in imho each case should be taken individualy no dog or lifestyle is the same but personally i think a dog should be allowed to mature first some do this earlier,some later.bitches over 7 in my house are spayed as i have seen far too many pyo's over the years
the type of dog owners who are not responisble hardly ever go to vets let alone thinking of spay/neutering at all! so its kinda catch 22!!
taniamiff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:11 PM
I can understand the reasons behind it but I just dont like the idea of cutting out bits of a dog for convenience. I also don't totally agree with the train of thought that it is preventative medicine for a disease they might never go on to develop.

It just seems hash to use neutering in the attempt to control or change a dog behaviour/personality when training would be just a beneficial in that respect.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Vets nowadays have neutering drummed into them as "ethical" confirmed by two Vet students we had work for us at different Uni's.

I boarded my vets dogs loads of times, his Lab had a litter of pups. There are two Vets in my breed, both obviously have un neutered animals as they breed and show. Worth noting, all the Vets Im talking about have unpteen years experience and have not been qualified 10 minutes!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
You have to go with the percentages. Overall, the earlier a male is neutered, the less likely to develop problem behaviors. As for the effect on growth, it is minor if at all.

We would be much better off if all but serious candidates for breeding were spay/neutered by 6 months. I care about the millions of dogs we slaughter every year for lack of homes.

Quite possibly many of the intact dogs dumped at the shelters would have succeeded in their homes had they been neutered in a timely manner.
Can you tell me where you got the total of dogs PTS in the UK as unwanted as being in the millions from-not even the RSPCA claim that figure
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:30 PM
No thank you!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 07:35 PM
The millions is for the USA. Just how many varies, but all the figures I have seen are in the millions. Possibly we have more nitwits.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I think Labman's American?

But also Ramble, would you not be running the risk of the dog learning the behaviour if left until later on in life just to see if they grow out of it?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Well obviously you know more than all the vets and studies that have been done that show its beneficial and healthier for a dog.
That's odd you claim that ALL the veterinary studies claim that it is healthier & beneficial for all dogs to be neutered before they are 6 months old ? Every single one ??????

Funny this article with the FACTS it contains written by a a VET doesn't agree !
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

So castration/spaying(both intrusive operations)should be used to replace responsible ownership, because, I presume, the animals cannot reproduce(the males are not sterile straight away BTW). It's therefore OK to allow neutered dogs/bitches to roam simply because they cannot produce unplanned puppies. What a bizarre point of view !!!

Why on earth do you allow other people's dogs to get into your garden ? Think about this logically if this bitch can get in your dog could get out, but hey that's OK because he's castrated !! My dogs can be in the garden because no dog or person can get into it. They have no assess to the front garden because they could get out of it.

I'm stunned it's OK to have neutered dogs/bitches that can roam but wrong to have entire ones that cannot !

Words fail me.
Come on Joedee, you know that's not how I meant it. I can't be that irresponsible because I foster for the Dog's Trust Freedom Project for the past two years.

Obviously I didn't ALLOW the dog in, I don't know how it got in, my dog has never escaped from the garden. What I am saying is, it's other people who are the problem.

How do you siggest policing your policy of 'let's train all dogs to not try to reproduce'
Page 6 of 40 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »