Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I'm both pro and anti neutering.......each case needs to be looked at seperately.

My dog wasn't castrated until he got a medical problem at about age 7. We never felt the need to castrate him, he never posed a problem, and no bitch was ever a problem.

But, both Teagan and Fin have been spayed. Fin was spayed this year, aged about 5.
Teagan was spayed at around 1 year old. Teagan has a lot of health problems (apparent at that age), and although I would never have bred from her anyway, I thought it was best to have her spayed, to save her having to undergo [any more]further vet visits.
Fin was spayed because of our circumstances - and this option has worked out well.

Teagan is NEVER walked offlead. Like CC, she has been attacked too many times by off-lead dogs. It just so happens that Teagan is spayed!
Yes, never thought to say that, if there was a particular problem, health, behavioural or something to help the dog, I would spay/neuter earlier than 18 months if my Vet felt it was okay
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Neutering a dog too early can cause problems with the growth plates.Oftrn they become leggy and larger than they might otherwise have been. For information----this also happens with human eunachs.

I usually let my bitches have a season before they are spayed, I feel they are more mature afterwards and I prefer it.

rune
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Well obviously you know more than all the vets and studies that have been done that show its beneficial and healthier for a dog.
For every vet study that shows early neutering is 'better' or 'healthier' there is at least one that says the opposite...science huh???
I know plenty of vets that are against neutering, let alone early neutering.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I have worked at a vets for 12 months and met many, have never met any vets against neutering.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I have worked at a vets for 12 months and met many, have never met any vets against neutering.
Thats great.
I know plenty of vets with entire dogs.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thats great.
I know plenty of vets with entire dogs.
Ditto!
When I worked at the kennels, we used to board the local vets dogs - all of them entire.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Ditto!
When I worked at the kennels, we used to board the local vets dogs - all of them entire.
I would struggle to think of a vet with a neutered dog to be honest....
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Wow you guys know so many vets how come? all the vets I worked with there dogs were done.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:15 PM
In terms of behaviour I'm un-decided whether we were right or wrong to neuter Woody at 7 months. I guess we'll never know.

He is a lovely, lovely little chap now (10 months) but between 6 & 8 months he was horrid. But was that him being normal, him being bad or us not knowing what it was/how to handle it. Or a combination of all three!

In my opinion there are far too many contributory factors during the first years of puppy-dom to ever truly know the benefits or down side of early castration. It will always depend on the dog, it's environment & it's owner.

I therefore think each case should be judged on it's own merit.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Our vets are mixed, some have some haven't.

rune
Page 5 of 40 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »