View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:12 PM
People who breed for the sole purpose of money and not to acheive anything.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I am not pro neutering unless there is a very good reason. I am pro responsible ownership and taking each case on it's own merit.
I am VERY much against early neutering.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Why are you Ramble?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I have two dogs that are intact, neither are show stock but both are fab dogs, with excellent Pedigrees and hope will produce wonderful babies one day (well, Bailey already has). There is absolutely no chance that either dog are any danger to any roaming females as my dogs are not allowed off-lead. Therefore it is nobody elses business that my dogs have not been castrated. In any case, I would never castrate a male nor spay a female under 18 months of age.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Well no you wouldnt as you are a breeder, why arent your dogs allowed oflead?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Well no you wouldnt as you are a breeder, why arent your dogs allowed oflead?
For their own safety! Have been attacked several times by off-lead dogs! My nerves can't take the worry of further attacks!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm both pro and anti neutering.......each case needs to be looked at seperately.

My dog wasn't castrated until he got a medical problem at about age 7. We never felt the need to castrate him, he never posed a problem, and no bitch was ever a problem.

But, both Teagan and Fin have been spayed. Fin was spayed this year, aged about 5.
Teagan was spayed at around 1 year old. Teagan has a lot of health problems (apparent at that age), and although I would never have bred from her anyway, I thought it was best to have her spayed, to save her having to undergo [any more]further vet visits.
Fin was spayed because of our circumstances - and this option has worked out well.

Teagan is NEVER walked offlead. Like CC, she has been attacked too many times by off-lead dogs. It just so happens that Teagan is spayed!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 05:34 PM
You have to go with the percentages. Overall, the earlier a male is neutered, the less likely to develop problem behaviors. As for the effect on growth, it is minor if at all.

We would be much better off if all but serious candidates for breeding were spay/neutered by 6 months. I care about the millions of dogs we slaughter every year for lack of homes.

Quite possibly many of the intact dogs dumped at the shelters would have succeeded in their homes had they been neutered in a timely manner.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I am against early neutering for a number of reasons. The most important one for me at least, is that the true personlaity of the dog hasn't yet emerged. The dog isn't fully grown. The dog's immune system can struggle with the effects of a GA.

If a dog is to be neutered I feel it is best to leave it until the dog is fully mature...by which time you know the dog better and you are in a better position to decide how the dog will be effected by the neutering.

At the end of the day, I don't care what anyone says, removing part of a dogs body, a part which produces important hormones, should never be done as a matter of course, it should be assessed on an individual basis..certainly not on a 'just in case' or 'what if'.
It would be like pulling out a dogs teeth that had shown some aggression to other dogs...just incase...or chopping a tail off just incase....the sexual organs of a dog are massively important to the dog and shouldn't, IMO be removed with just cause and consideration.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Well obviously you know more than all the vets and studies that have been done that show its beneficial and healthier for a dog.
Page 4 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »