Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2011, 11:55 PM

Bilious vomiting and frequent urination

We've had Milaia for about two weeks now. She came to us quite underweight but not extremely so. She was picked up as a stray with a leg energy that she is getting surgery for. It seems she has either been hit by a car or fallen from a significant height.(in cse this may be related to her problems. )
She has had a lack of appetite since coming to our home, and usually doesn't eat unless something extremely appealing is put with her food and even then doesn't tend to eat much. She has only ever been constipated or had diarhea since we've had her as well.
Milaia needs to pee every couple hours and can only hold it for a second when she has got to go.
She pukes up clear stuff first thing in the morning every morning.
Does anybody know what could be wrong with her and what I could do for her until we get to the vet in a couple of weeks?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I have no idea but why do you need to wait for two weeks to see the vet?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
My first guess would be the puking is due to her empty tummy but it sounds like there is enough going on there that you should think about getting her to the vets sooner
Not being able to hold her pee and going often is a problem and there could be medical reasons for the lack of eating
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:07 AM
I called the vet and told him about all of it. He told me I couldn't take her in until the Friday following this one. He also said he wasn't allowed to give any kind of diagnosis until he saw her, meaning he couldn't tell me anything I could do for her until then....
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by TuesdaJade View Post
I called the vet and told him about all of it. He told me I couldn't take her in until the Friday following this one. He also said he wasn't allowed to give any kind of diagnosis until he saw her, meaning he couldn't tell me anything I could do for her until then....
OMG!! can you get another vet? If something is serious you dont want to wait 2 hours let alone 2 weeks!! (not saying this is the case just now but that is a shocking wait!)
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
OMG!! can you get another vet? If something is serious you dont want to wait 2 hours let alone 2 weeks!! (not saying this is the case just now but that is a shocking wait!)
This is what I felt. When I called I planned on taking her the very next day if not sooner. I doubt he is too busy to check her out until then...but then again, he is the vet for the shelter where I got her, so maybe he is that busy. I would definitely take her to another vet but I haven't officially completed her adoption so she is still owned by the shelter.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:58 AM
I would phone the shelter themselves, tell them you are worried and do they mind if you take her to an independent vet.

In meantime how often are you feeding her and what time is the last feed before bedtime?

Before you go to bed try giving her a very plain biscuit or a baby rusk - her tummy wont be empty all night and may help with what she brings up in the morning - sounds like acid is building up in her digestion overnight due to empty tummy - dont however feed her a meal before going to bed - as I say just something very light

As for the frequent urination, that should be checked out. Even if the vet wont see her or in the unlikely event the shelter wont agree to her going to see an independent vet, try and get a urine sample from her and take it to the vet and ask them to check it. She may have a urine infection [cystitis] and needs antibiotics for it. I wouldnt leave it for another two weeks if she were mine.

When she squats down to wee, slip a shallow dish under her bottom - this is how you get a urine sample. Transfer into a clean container and seal and get to the vet ASAP.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Definitely get the wheels in motion so you can take her to another vet.

Your dog needs professional attention, IMO.

Good luck x
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I called the the shelter and told them I didn't want to wait for the appointment and they agreed to let me take her to the emergency vet a day after this post.

She was allergic to corn and was having trouble digesting dry food. She is better now that we've been feeding her homemade dog food and has a lot more energy and seems much happier.
As for the pee, she did not have a urine infection. She was recently spayed and the vet said that the surgery is the most likely cause. He said it should get better in time.

Thanks for making me realize that her symtoms should not wait a week to be checked out.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I am so glad you got all this sorted out
I cant imagine how worrying it would be to wait 2 weeks!!