Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Aggression breeds Aggression
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Its all so sortable!!!!! but it wont sort itself.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
He is becoming a teenager he is trying it on, unfortunately you have reacted to his stubbornness, in a negative way, and he has then reacted the same back.

There are two things going on with him, his discomfort from his condition, you need to get him seem by the vet, and the teenager is raising its ugly head, both combined along with your reaction, has presented what you see know.

It can be fixed, the most important thing is medical treatment, then training, have you looked up NILF, it will help you immensely.
I have to say I agree,
My first though was maybe he had an injury or illness and then I thought of his age and thought bingo....the dreaded teenage stage.
Obviously I am not condoning his actions or excusing his actions, they are totally unexceptable.
But it does sound like he is testing the water and trying to see whos boss.
The teenager stage does tend to rear its ugly head out of the blue, and your once sweet, trainned, easy goin pup seems to dissapear.

Have you ever seen ' its me or the dog' show the one with a husky, who is goin through the teenage stage.
That dog also bite its female owners face and arms when she tried to get him of the sofa, and did it more than one ocassion.
It looked very bad, basically terroized its owner.
But with trainning, and constant firm leadership and it knowing who was boss it was back on track and a lovely family pet again.
I think you should watch it, it might put your mind at rest and some light at the end of the tunnel.

Really hope this helps and can put your mind at rest.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I would agree with most of what has been said - you are obviously having a hard time at home - would most certainly NOT let you BF anywhere near Jake.

And I would leave a house line on him at all times.

But the dog is not well - and he gave warning, which she chose to ignore. This was not an attack for no reason with no warning.

Yes she had done it before - but not with the same situations occuring.

I also feel it is not acceptable for a dog to do this, but in the same breath, I understand that if you push a dog when it has given you warning it may be forced into biting.

From what she wrote (and has been writing) there has been a build up of tension and stress surrounding not only his health but the home situaiton as well, this could have been prevented with better management and understanding of the dog in this situation.

Hopefully the OP will have learnt from this and will be able to move on with a better understanding of how her dog works and how to aviod this situation in the future.
But I didn’t see a warning, if I don’t see it I cant react to it. maybe there was a warning, I expect there was but it must have been very subtle. Also, jake is my first own dog, and first ever puppy. i know i could have handled it better, but is everyone so perfect that they never have a situation they look back on and can see where they went wrong?? everyone has to learn from somewhere, and if you have never been in a situation like that, you haven’t had anything to learn from. I have never been in a situation like that, everything I did was normal for jake, its what he is used to. so I wasn’t expecting that reaction, especially when I didn’t notice any warning. Jake is extremely stubborn, and that’s what I thought he was being. Which is common for him, so I reacted in my usual way. I have learnt many things since I got jake, and this is just another of those things. But it is an ongoing process so sorry if I haven’t got it all straight away!

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this Lozzi & I hope your hand & face are ok. There's some really good advice on here & I'm in no position to give any just to say that I've had similar happen with Tilly when she bit me & as it was so out of character I took her to the vets & it was her phantom pregnancy. Not a major problem but at least it gave a reason for the behaviour.
Also with the bed - I've tried pulling Tilly off the bed before & she's given me a warning teeth face which I think was to do with me standing over her & about to put my hand over her head & pull her off. Enough to make her want to defend herself & me going about it the wrong way though. So now I just tell her "off" & point to the floor, it took a while to train & using treats, but sometimes you have to keep going back to basics with these young "Kevin" dogs - well I know I do anyway!
Thanks, my mum made sure I taught jake ‘down’, so he is usually good at that one. Earlier that night, he got told to get down off the couch twice, and both times he did it. so he does know the command, he is just so damn stubborn at times…

I think jake must have a reason behind his behaviour, coz he never does anything like this. He can be such a big wuss… fireworks and aggressive dogs don’t scare him but an unknown sound from outside will have him hiding behind the nearest person.

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with Jake and big hugs to you.

Monty has only ever snapped with the intention to bite at us once and that was when he had hurt his foot and he didn't want us to touch it so maybe Jake is in pain somewhere, might be worth a trip to the vets.

Hope things get better soon, there's been some good advice within this thread. Keep your chin up as Jake is a fantastic dog.
Thank you, I think it must be something causing him pain too and that was my first thought when it happened.

Originally Posted by lore View Post
I can't offer any advice, all I can say is follow the good advice you are getting from our fellow dog lovers and take heart, he's still your wee mad Jake, just something is wrong at the moment and he needs his mum to help him.

*love and hugs from me and Dougally cuddles and schnorkles*
thank you.

Originally Posted by Nlulu View Post
Oh thats awful for you
Im new but had to say that its a horrible position to be in and I have something similar with my familys Akita years ago....she was great untill she got to about 3yrs old and then challenged us lots.
Same kind of things with biting because she was taking over beds/sofas etc. Luckily for us Akitas seem to have their emotions written boldly on their tail....if she was getting defensive at all her tail would drop (very noticable when its usually held high) and she would go very still....so maybe look out for these signs in Jake in the future.
The way we resolved it was go go back to puppy basics with her and we stopped letting her get her own way by supervising her more than we had been....everytime she tried to get on the bed/sofa she was gently pushed away and rewarded with a toy when she settled on the floor or in her own bed. Like the others have said using a training line would be great to as you can remove him from the area he is taking over from a distance and remember being consistant will be the most important thing. Our Akita (Indy) eventually worked out she wasnt allowed to control things and we could then invite her up for a cuddle on our terms so she didnt miss out.
I think the main thing we realised was that everything had to be on our terms not her deciding she wanted attention/food/sofa etc.....she could have all those things but when we decided it was the right time.
If Jakes problems arent something the vet can help with then try and talk to a behaviourist to find a method of training that you feel comfortable with or some books maybe.
I feel really sad for you that this has happened .....Indy upset us all for a while and my Mum never fully trusted her again which was sad as she turned out to be a loving and calm dog once she was sure of the rules.

I hope you can find some answers that will help you and that this doesnt happen again ....wishing you loads of luck with him
Sorry to hear you had a similar thing with your dog, but its good you managed to stop it, and hearing your story has made me feel much better. Thanks for telling me how you managed to overcome the problems with Indy, I will give them a try with jake. Im planning on very soon, getting rid of jakes crate. So I will be getting him a big comfy bed, so im hoping he will choose that to go to, rather than my bed.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lauren first take a deep breath and calm down..xxx
May I make a number of observations as someone outside looking on ?
Firstly I can't say I am at all surprised by the events for a number of reasons . As I have said to you previously in another thread I think Jake has a bacterial infection and may be feeling ill. If I am correct this has been going on since November when the infection started. I sent pictures of another dog with what I think may be a similar condition and if Jake still has the symptoms displayed in the previous thread I would insist on further investigation by your vet (like swabs and cultures)

So firstly there is a distinct possibility Jake is not well and may be in pain..

Now to the other things..

Jake was doing something he wasn't allowed to do and he will have picked up on this from your body language. You went on to punish him which will have made him distrust you. Now doesn't know if or when he may be punished again and may feel the need to protect himself . If he was in pain somewhere he would try to protect himself even more.
I think the best course of action would have been to diffuse the tension by enticing the puppy off the bed and praising him for obeying, or slipping a lead on and encouraghing him off the bed in a bright voice.

This was probably because the tension had gone and with it Jakes fear..

Jake has now learn that you can be unpredictable and may hurt him...

I firmly believe that violence leads to violence, punish a dog and you risk not only breaking any trust which has built up between you, you are introduing an element of fear into your dog and this can cause the violence on both sides to escalate. Maintaing calmness/avoiding confrontation/diffusing the situation is for me the way to handle situations like these.

Lauren I am not criticising your actions or trying to preach to you in any way, just making observations which may help you and others.
It is easy to get things out of proportion when you are scared and upset. Also you have had a number of 'problems' of late which will have contributed to a general air of tension, Jake will have picked up on this. Add to this his not being well.

With older dogs who have been well trained using positive methods, have learnt to trust an owner, have no fear (and have been taught bite inhibition for just such an occasion) these situations rarely arise.

All is not lost you can with a little care retrieve the situation, I will post about this separately or the post will become to long ...
I think it could be some kind of infection too, which is why i am not happy with the vet, coz she didn’t do a skin scrape. Im kicking myself now for not saying at the time, but im terrible at not speaking out in such situations. It hasn’t been here since November, it first came in then but it went away and came back just before new year. the hair around his eyes didn’t grow completely back, but the skin was normal. I am seriously thinking of taking him to another vet to get a second opinion.

But I only 'punished' him after he bit, and that came in the form of holding him down, for my own safety, and then putting him in his crate, which was to calm him down and again, put us both in a safe situation. I didn’t want him in a place where he could bite again, so thought this was the best option until he had calmed down. i then took him out on a walk, again to calm him down and have a little normality after the previous 15 minutes.

I don’t want to punish jake, or causing him fear or anything bad like that. I love him, I love him to pieces and I never want that for him. but at the same time, I need to keep us both safe. So if punishing him is doing that, then I will punish him. I wont allow him to bite me, so I will do what is needed to stop that (within reason obviously) and if that means trying to keep his mouth shut or holding him in a position where he cant reach me, I will. Its not fair to myself to allow him to keep biting me. if some others had been in such a situation, I know the ‘punishment’ could have been much worse. i would obviously much rather avoid the situation occuring though.

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Some good advice so far Lozzi. All I will say is keep a house line on him, keep some treats nearby and try to stay positive. Jake is at that horrid stage at the moment and personally I think he is challenging you. Furniture needs to be out of bounds now and everything Jake gets he should earn by doing something YOU ask him first eg. sit, down etc. then he will learn that good things come from you when he gives you the correct behaviour. Good luck with Jake, and remember he is an adolescent dog of unknown breeding, possibly a combination of some challenging breeds. Remember to take each day as it comes and stay calm with him. Good luck hun, remember we are all here for you both!
thank you.

From what I understand this is an ongoing thing -he has not had the condition before - he still has the same thing.

Warnings like growling and lifting lips are not the only warnings dogs give - Body tension (especially ears and lips), eyes as well - as I am sure you know.

The dog did not bite until she physically lent over (after she had told him and tapped him) and picked him up, which leads me to believe he gave warning. Unfortunately it was one the the OP either did not recognise or chose to ignore.

My interpretation of what was written was that there was warning - if someone had been explaining this situation to me I would have expected a bite or snap would follow.
However - I wasn't there.
No, he has had it before, it isn’t an ongoing thing. He had it at the beginning of November, I took him to the vets and it cleared up. Then it came back just before new year.

So what warning do you think was given?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Im really not having ago, & im not trying to preach, It may be better if you read all this in the morning when youve had a nie time to "chillax" reread your oringinal post & try to see it from another persons dog, not jake, so you can take the emotion out of it. Try to think of the advice you would give that person.

With anyones dog, our love for them Clouds our judgement.

What you must not do, is fall in to the trap of thinking that Jake sees things the same way as you, what you might think was normal becos youve done it a billion times before may in thius instance been different for jake.

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
But I didn’t see a warning, if I don’t see it I cant react to it. maybe there was a warning, I expect there was but it must have been very subtle. Also, jake is my first own dog, and first ever puppy. i know i could have handled it better, but is everyone so perfect that they never have a situation they look back on and can see where they went wrong??

I know its hard , but we are trying to give you HELP, the benefit of our experince, no one is critising you, you are taking it personally because you love Jake so much

everyone has to learn from somewhere, and if you have never been in a situation like that, you haven’t had anything to learn from. I have never been in a situation like that, everything I did was normal for jake, its what he is used to. so I wasn’t expecting that reaction, especially when I didn’t notice any warning.

Yes but jake saw it as different or he wouldnt have reacted. The tap was negative the bend over (to pick him up)was negative & threatening body language for a dog , even if you meant him no harm.

Jake is extremely stubborn, and that’s what I thought he was being. Which is common for him, so I reacted in my usual way. I have learnt many things since I got jake, and this is just another of those things. But it is an ongoing process so sorry if I haven’t got it all straight away!

Is he stubborn? or just needs more training?A stubborn dog has a thorough understanding of each thing hes asked to do & then chooses not too, can you put your hand onn your heart & say i swear he 100% knows that he understands that he knows he can get on my bed & not my mothers . A dog that does not understand can react in a unpredicatble way

Thanks, my mum made sure I taught jake ‘down’, so he is usually good at that one. Earlier that night, he got told to get down off the couch twice, and both times he did it. so he does know the command, he is just so damn stubborn at times…

If you have to tap him before he moves he dosent understand the Down command. Do you use the down at any other time? ie when you tell him to "lie Down" or "get down" if he jumps up or "sit down" are you 100% sure he cant be confused at all on this command?
Even if he does understand it by backing it up with a physical signal youve taught him to ignore your command & wait for the 2nd command (your touch) this is just bad training (NOT your fault, btw you need help!) & teaches him he is ALLOWED to ignore you, This is not being Stubbborn this is you teaching him its ok to ignore you on the first command, "down" because you will back it up "tap", Can you see this isnt being stubborn?You through lack of experince have taught him not to move on 1st commasnd, you have accepted it.

But I only 'punished' him after he bit, and that came in the form of holding him down, for my own safety, and then putting him in his crate, which was to calm him down and again, put us both in a safe situation. I didn’t want him in a place where he could bite again, so thought this was the best option until he had calmed down. i then took him out on a walk, again to calm him down and have a little normality after the previous 15 minutes.

The punishment was the tap, i dont think anyone disagrees with what you did after the bite

I don’t want to punish jake, or causing him fear or anything bad like that. I love him, I love him to pieces and I never want that for him.

i know you do & thats why you have to try to get your head around what happened & how he felt threatened by what happened before the biting
I KNOW its hard, I know you love him!!!!!! But you must try to see , or you cant move forward.

Apologises if im Preachy
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I am really sorry to hear this has happend to you

and yup I have made big mistakes with my dogs, yup I am a human who sometimes shouts and sometimes waves my arms around and does all sorts of dumb things - our dogs are v forgiving if we try and learn from our mistakes then the trust can come back again

I think you might have hit his 'bite threashold'
Basicaly ONE of the things that is going on with him may not be the issue - its just all of them all at once is too much for him
- like you know the days, you spill toothpaste down your top, then fall down the front step, then you make dumb mistakes at work, everyone on the road home is a jerk, your best friend cancels on you, you drop and smash your fave vase then your OH leaves the loo seat up again and you totaly go off your head at him - it wanst that one thing it was all of them
So yup it could be the pain, his age, your state of mind, the weather, the lack of exercise, confused with commands, the pat to move and then gonna be picked up

all toghether too much

No its not right he bit you - its not right you did some of the things you did - you need to say sorry and forgive each other.

I wasnt there, can only go by what you say
I would say him freezing on the floor was a v big warning. I would advise getting 'calming signals' and spend lots of time watching the subtle signals a dog gives off - I find it so interesting on a walk watching my dogs, tail, bodyweight, posture, speed, ears, eyes, mouth - everything

I know Mia would bite me without hesitation if I pushed her buttons the wrong way. There have been times when I have gone to do something and you can feel the icy blast in the room, you see her stiffen, see the ears shoot back, see the whites of the eyes

When that happens I take a step back and figure out how to retrain the situation

You say he 'knows' 'down'
What do you do when he gets down?? do you reward every time? sometimes? never?
The best way I heard training described is its like making a path in a jungle, The more you walk the path the clearer it gets but it is never 100% clear and the jungle can grow back any time
a dog is never 100% on any command, they are always learning from what happens next.
You always need to train a bit more, you always need to sometimes give a treat or reward for a great performance

also dogs are VERY specific.
For example, a friend of mine was trying to show off how great his puppies 'sit' was. He said sit and she looked at him like he was crazy, he then took a treat out and stood infront of her - her face lit up and she sat - he thought sit means get in the sitting position any place any time - she thought it ment when he is stood infront of her with a treat she is to put her bum on the floor
Down might mean get off your bed and get off the sofa - but mibby he hasnt let learnt that it also means get off the other bed
If he knew it and it was well enough trained then he would have done it.

I totaly agree with the houseline - it gives you confidence
totaly up training and make it fun, and deff get a bit of help from a behaviourist who can show you how to understand eeach other a bit better

All the best - this IS fixable
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I wont allow him to bite me, so I will do what is needed to stop that (within reason obviously) and if that means trying to keep his mouth shut or holding him in a position where he cant reach me, I will. Its not fair to myself to allow him to keep biting me.
iven?
I think if you follow this way of handling him Lozzi, you are in danger of escalating Jake's aggression...

You need to work with him so you dont have to deal with his feeling he needs to bit or attack you,

The more you restrain Jake, the more aggressive he will ge t, the more you will need to restrain him, and the cycle will not stop.

You will become afriad of him, and he will know it.

Using physical force to deal with this problem is only going to set you up for a fall.

You need to "close the door , before the horse bolts"

If you can work with him in a positive way, he will have no need to bite you , and you will have no need to restrain him.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I quite Honestly cant see why she would want to pick him up If any of my dogs are being naughty picking them up is the last thing i would do, Id just lead them out , not saying anything ,by their collar & treating them like theyve rolled in Fox poo.
I cant lead him out by his collar coz he doesn’t wear one. and I pick him up, coz he can be stubborn and it can be the only way to get him out the room (which I had to do coz my mum would have gone crazy had she seen him in there). Maybe not the best thing to do, but he is usually good with it, and doesn’t mind at all, plus he is used to it. you might not do that to your dogs, but its not hurting jake and he shows no signs of disliking it.

Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Awww hun,

I hope your feeling a bit better now. Dont feel guilty about doing what you did, you only did that so that he wouldnt bite you anymore. Never ever feel guilty about that.

Theres some obvious training issues that need to be addressed as well as his health problems. Theres a lot of advice on here so i dont see the need to re-write what has been written.

Keep us updated on how Jake is doing
Thanks, I just wish other people would see it that way.

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Hi Lozzi, I'm sorry about what happened, but you have been given some great advice here, and I also think that a house training line would help you.

I don't think that you know, but in 2008 I was given a bull terrier, who was a nightmare for his bull headed stubborness, and I brought a house line for him, this one to be precise but in black http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...se-line---dogs
(I let someone else use it after him, but I think they still have it, so if you want me to I can ask them, and send it to you, although it will probally be monday that I can send it if you want, the other training things that I used for him I think I've allready given away, but you'll be welcome to this if you want it)

Punch had this on from when he got out of his crate in the morning, to when he went back into it at night (apart from on walks), and it may sound excesive, but it worked, he was a nightmare for going places that he wasn't allowed, time after time, inculding trying to get into a oven that was on but the training line allowed me to move him out of the way without any confrontation, as I could just pick it up and move him away like you would with a lead, and he would just then think well ok then, but to start with when I used this I didn't really talk to him until I got him somewhere else, I would just pick it up, move him, and take him somewhere less dangerous and give him a chew or something, then I would reward him for that, I also used it as he had a habit of running through children, and I could stop him before he did (although he did head butt my little brother upon meeting him).

Anyway I wish you all the best with Jake, and if your intrested in the house line just pm me, and I'll ask the other people about it and send it when I can.
Thanks, and that link is great, it looks really good. I didn’t know you had a bull terrier, and the house lead sounds really good. i think it would be good to have that as a way to avoid confrontations, coz if he goes a place he isn’t allowed I need some way of getting him off. He does know ‘down’ but he, too, is very stubborn so sometimes he listens and sometimes he just doesn’t. i think I will definitely get the house line, as well as the long lead im getting for recall lol.

Out of interest - what were the circumstanses surrounding him growling at your neice? and how did you get him over it?
jake (who must have been about 5 or 6 months old at the time) was lying with a bone, and my niece was sitting next to him (he was the one who choose to sit next to her), she turned to clap him and he growled at her. I told her to leave him alone, which she did and she moved away from him. He has never, ever growled at me or my parents or my bf for taking food or treats off him, but he did to her and she is the only one he has ever done it too. we then started that she would give him treats a lot more (telling him a command first) and she would put his food down for him, and tell him to sit and wait, and he could only take it when she told him he could. Now, he doesn’t mind her being near him when he has a bone, and has never minded anybody near him when he is eating food, even her. I think he saw her as an equal, whereas the rest of us were in a higher position than him so that’s why we didn’t get that reaction.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Didnt you hit/smack him when he wouldnt get down/move before he bit you? That was the punishment i was refering too.

Behaviour is behaviour, he dosent listen to you outside & because you havent sorted that out then that not listening is now extending to indoors. Behaviour both good & bad always gets stronger & evolves.
I didn’t hit or smack him!! I lightly tapped him! there is a massive difference. and his listening in the house is great, today he has listened to everything I have said, it is just a few times when he chooses to be deaf.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear this. I think we've all probably had instances with our dogs where things go wrong, doesn't mean it can't be fixed though.

Oscar bit my Dad when he was 5 months old when my Dad tried to get him off his chair. I wasn't there at the time so I have no idea what happened and whether there were any warnings, but following the incident we made sure all rules were clear and that everybody was consistent. This seems to have paid off and we've had no further problems, Oscar is a very submissive boy which does help though.

I agree with most of the advice really, continue with the medical treatment, be consistent with training and boundaries and start training classes.

Good luck x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 10:49 PM
just a thought Lozzi
if you use 'down' to get him off things what command do you use for him to lay down?
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 26 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »