View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Just for the record the lowest dog in the heirachy will guard a bone or similar. Especially if they can find a safe corner to do it from.

No reason they shouldn't IMO---I'd guard my mars bar if it was me!

rune
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I know this person via a private forum, I think he might be good at helping:

http://www.petbehavioursorted.com/

He's done some work to find out his success rates, and he's good. Experienced,knowledgeable, and kind

Wys
x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I will try to explain better .
It would be partly due to very subtle changes in body language and even owner breathing and heartrate, which dogs can hear and associate with either good or bad things happening to them. I guess another example would be if I said that as a child, you may be used to your parents giving you little taps for fun, but if you knew they were annoyed and you were a bit scared, you'd hate it esp if you were pretty sensitive. That's not a very good analogy but reading this from your first post

There is an element of Jake not feeling as normal behaviour wise, because he "snuck" and "knows he isn't allowed" ... can you say how you know he knows he isn't allowed? does he give body language to say so or is it something else?
Most dogs don't "know" but respond to people's responses.
This is not a "Jake" thing but a "dog" thing. Having worked with dogs and owners, I see a lot of this
But they way you've described this shows that Jake was not relaxed and so on, he was possibly expecting to be told off in some way - either very subtly or else by you or somene (your mum? another family member?).

This rings alarm bells. He would have had a reason for not coming - and my guess is that he was already feeling worried that he would be told off or somethin like that. Something was going on in his head. The only other explanation is that he was hurting - and really felt too bad to come out. However I tend to think it would be the first reason.

You are using the bum tapping as a "punishment" in this context - most dogs don't like being punished. It scares them esp. if they are not sure about what they have done. Because they see their owner as unpredictable esp. if there is confusion about what they are doing/allowed to do.
I know you don't see the bum tapping as a punishment really but Jake will, as he is already not doing what you ask and is already having to be "got" off.

Again, alarm bells ringing ...
sounds as if he was being passively defensive or a bit scared or possibly both. Or again, maybe he was hurting.

In this situation, not a wise move even if he is used to it. He was showing you he was very unhappy either physically or mentally ...

This is either pain or fear (or possibly even both).

It sounds as if you have done it before? If so can you explain the circumstances? I only ask because dogs will start to associate back to other experiences ... if you've ever done this before, he may have been worried you were goingto do it again, even before you did.

I can understand you were scared of being bitten, we would all be the same

Again he was clearly in a bit of a state due to his body language.

This is worrying, it was almost as if he was panicking and biting without rhyme or reason. It's not good and it will get worse if he feels threatened, which I suspect was the case

Ok well that's good - also that you were able to continue after you'd been hurt as hopefully most of it was superficial (thankfully!)

That's nice

Again, how do you know he knows this? I mean, how are you sure he knows it?

That's fine, but he was clearly on the couch for a while...see, that's confusing to him.

So there are 2 occasions when he was on the couch (or previously, the bed - very similar situatoins)

Treats would have been good -probably partically defused any worries he had, so making him less reactive, and also getting him off without a struggle or conflict
And can you recall what your own body language, voice, tone, words etc were like?

I can understand why you were going carefully!
But I am sure this would be extremely threatening to Jake and I'd be seriously surprised if he was not showing something at this point - even just being very still. Or ears back, or tense mouth...it's very important to learn about such things as they give us signals as to wht the dog is thinking. They cannot talk to us, so use their own methods of communication which being humans, we often don't recognise, esp,the subtle ones.

That was predictable (probably by an experienced owner though) - not being critical, just factual

In this moment, Jake has learnt again that aggression "works" for him and helps him control the situation he is worried about. He will therefore use it again.

Ok I think you know all this was a big mistake - I dont understand why you continued, even after you'd had clear warnings from Jake.

Well, I do understand because what you did was a very "human" reaction

In a situation like this, the human needs to back off and let the dog get off in his own time, and then take management and training decisions completely away from the actual situation ie recognise a problem and work with it by training/behaviour modification (preferably with professional help).And keep safe!

He will soon be really not liking your hands near him in certain situations because he will think you are going to do this again - he may be OK when you are cuddling him but when there is a "situation" he is going to start going right up the "Ladder of Aggression" and this is partly because he is not being listened to....

Yes, they won't be helping. Avoid any "making" him esp, near couches, beds etc.
Either let him get off in his own time or call him or even ring the doorbell and praise him for coming off and give toys he likes ... but really, seriously do NOT confront him again as you will come off worse and Jake may end up at the vets for the last time

The irritation may well be lowering his tolerance and discomfort levels. He's very young to have physical problems and they will be affecting him, poor lad.

I hope I've showed you that both times it was not really sudden (from Jake's point of view) and that esp. the second time you were setting both yourself and Jake up to fail badly (and he will remember what he did and do it more next time ... ).

Again, context. He may well be fine when there is no anxiety/stress/confusion over where he is lying... I suspect this is at the root of the problem and he is being very misunderstood.

How does your mum deal with him, and what other family members do stuff with him, or command him? as it may have impact again on how he behaves. Eg if your mum has told him off in those situations, (very human thing to do) he is likely to react more and to not come to the human when he expects something bad to happen. Even the not coming to you is a huge warning something is amiss with him.

I've taken ages typing this (am not a fast typist ) so hope it has given some more insight?

It wasn't at all sudden, and Jake gave warnings that were not understood - this happens in many dog owning families.

Yes of course - you love him and he is a big part of your life. But if you love hm, you owe it to him to start understanding him as a dog, and educate yourself and your family as to how to think dog. Otherwise he will end up being put to sleep, I am pretty sure.You must get help.

Sorry to be so blunt. I am not saying this lightly, so please don't take offence - but you do need professional help from the right source, namely a reputable person form a reputable organsation IMO the situation could escalate and become more serious
Wys
xxx
I know I didn't comment, but I have to say Wys picked up on all the things I saw too.

Good post Wys
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I have continued to read this thread with interest but am so very short of time lately that I couldn't comment further, plus there is som fabulous advice on here already.

LB...I can see why you are feeling 'got at' but no one on here is actually 'getting at' you, they are offering very sound advice. From what I can see people are saying:
1) There is a reason for Jake's behaviour, part of it is medical but part of it is behavioural. Given you are also having recall issues at the moment it would seem there is a break down somewhere in your training with Jake. This happens to everyone at some point, often at the age Jake is, when you think they have cracked a lot of commands and things settle, they start to question you...I've seen it so many times (and experienced it first hand so many times). As a result of it, you need to 'up' your training. Not 'up' your position to him that's a load of old twaddle. You need to just retrain and reestablish rules and consistency BUT......

2) You, by your own admission, are an inexperienced dog owner/handler. As a result of this and the fact that Jake has now bitten, you must get face to face help and support. It is all very well people giving advice over the internet...but this is a serious issue. He bit you. Twice. You HAVE to get help and get it soon. It will be fairly easy at this point to sort it out...but you reall do need face to face help. Did you look at the link I posted to the trainer in Airdrie?

3) Read some of the books suggested. I would highly recommend the one suggested by Wys on Calming Signals. It is a 'must read this' book for all dog owners I think... it is eye opening.

I just wanted to comment on another couple of posts....

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hi Lozzi

What a thread! hope you are feeling better today. Tomorrow is a new week and you can start afresh.

I have read through most of this and you have been given some brilliant advice. One thing I didn't see was how much exercise he was getting? I remember you saying you are keeping him on lead after your incident a couple of weeks ago. That is fine and you should do what you are comfortable with, however if he isn't getting enough this could be leading to feelings of frustration on his part. Obviously exercise (or lack of it) doesn't have a direct connection with him biting you, but tired dogs are generally much better behaved and more relaxed dogs. He is a young dog of a mix of active breeds and ideally needs some daily free running. Walking on the lead is ok, particularly for mental stimulation (from sniffing, etc.), but it isn't really enough to tire out a young dog physically. More vigorous activity like free running, playing with other dogs, swimming and so on is what you want to aim for.
I disagree. Mental stimulation will tire a dog much more quickly and effectively than physical exertion, which tires a dog quickly but only in the short term. I also think with Jake he is getting stressed and wound up in the situations you describe so needs some work before he is reintroduced to those activities. In the meantime he needs short training session regularly in the house...and the opportunity to sniff and be a dog on onlead walks...he could be taken to new places on lead to explore them. 20 minutes round Tescos car park sniffing what he wants and exploring will wear him out more than 20 minutes offlead charging and playing with other dogs.
I think one of the things that might help is if you can get hold of some good books - try "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, which explains why dogs do what they do. Also take a peek at some of Turid Rugaas' work on calming signalsa as they relate to the ladder of aggression which all dogs move up if they are not comfortable

Some of the things that you've done are not "dog savvy" (but as you say, Jake is your first dog) but you do need to get to "think dog" so that you can avoid any problems, train him well and really improve the relationship.

What are you going to do about the "tapping"? I ask as I suspect Mishflynn and others are right, in that he may accept it or appear to, but doesnt like it. Ifthis is the case there is one big major problem right there (depends on if you are reading him well or not - it may be you are right - but I'd be surprised if you are ).

Sending you support and best wishes,

Wys
x
Brill post.
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It isn't the 'tap' it is the context and all your other body language.

rune
Exactly. If my OH pushed me when we are being daft and winding each other up I would think nothing of it. If he was trying to get me to do something but I didn't want to do it and he pushed me with the same force as in the 'playfight' it would be entirely different and provoke and entirely different reaction from me. Context here is vital.
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I don't understand why you need to "tap"your dog, dogs don't tap each other the way a human taps.

I would really take a step back from the situation & try to look at what happened from your dogs perceptive.

You must be consistent, either he is allowed on beds, furniture or he's not. You must teach him to get down from furniture if you do not want him on it, not simply push/pull him off nor tap/touch him physically. Don't bend over any dog it is threatening body language.

You need to keep calm & if you can't do that then you need to walk away from him until you calm down. He will pick up on your tension & other body signals that you will not even realise you are giving him.

Get his health problems sorted out, if he has an ear infection you can see, odds are it goes a lot deeper into his ear than you think. he could quite well be in a lot of pain that he doesn't show.

Dogs can have a very high pain threshold & can appear not to be in pain, simply because in the animal world to show pain is to appear weak.

He is only a very young dog & as you are not an experienced owner you really do need personal guidance(ie with a face to face trainer)who will be able to watch you & your dog & also show you what you should & should not do.

I'm not a hands on trainer, but I do give my dogs lots of physical contact, in play & by using T Touch massage I gain the respect of my dogs as well as their friendship.

Do have a read of the Culture Clash it's an excellent book.

You would be better off exercising his brain rather than his body, stretching a dogs mental ability is a good way for you both to have a good reltaionship
I just wanted to say I agree with Joedee. That doesn't happen a lot. I do think this is a great post though.

Good luck LB. PLEASE try to take a step back and not feel so 'got at' ironically, your reaction to the advice offered in the thread (feeling backed into a corner and threatened) is exactly the same as Jake's reaction to you moving him...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I know what Joedee means and I think I know what Lozzi means to regarding the tap. If my dogs are on the sofa where I want to get, I will say "off" and they get off. Occasionally I havent said anything to them, but "tapped" or "touched" them (usually the back of their head) and they got off, none of them have ever refused or resisted.

If its coupled with a command because the dog first refused, then I can see why Joedee sees it as negative, the dog was really saying "NO" to Lozzi in the first instance. Lozzi sees it as "normal" for Jake to do this and thats why its normal to her. I think thats how I see it anyway.
Thanks Dawn.

I know now that using the command first and then tapping was wrong, but the way people reacted to it made me feel like I was beating him or something. Im glad to hear of another person who uses a tap too, I wont use it with a command from now on. But I don’t see whats wrong with using it alone. Also, that’s something else that I have just learnt, and I think you explained it really well.

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I can see what you mean LOL

Read the whole thread Lozzi, will not add any advice as I think reading through alot of peeps have already given sound advice.

So just wanted to sorry to hear your having probs at the moment but hoping you get it sorted Hugs xxx
Thanks.

I will try to explain better .
It would be partly due to very subtle changes in body language and even owner breathing and heartrate, which dogs can hear and associate with either good or bad things happening to them. I guess another example would be if I said that as a child, you may be used to your parents giving you little taps for fun, but if you knew they were annoyed and you were a bit scared, you'd hate it esp if you were pretty sensitive. That's not a very good analogy but reading this from your first post
But I wasn’t annoyed or anything at the time, I wasn’t anything like that until he bit me. im usually very calm with jake, and will say things like ‘get off you big lump’ and laugh or something like that. what if a person isn’t well and their heartrate increases? Can a dog confuse that with someone being negative towards them?

There is an element of Jake not feeling as normal behaviour wise, because he "snuck" and "knows he isn't allowed" ... can you say how you know he knows he isn't allowed? does he give body language to say so or is it something else?
Most dogs don't "know" but respond to people's responses.
This is not a "Jake" thing but a "dog" thing. Having worked with dogs and owners, I see a lot of this
But they way you've described this shows that Jake was not relaxed and so on, he was possibly expecting to be told off in some way - either very subtly or else by you or somene (your mum? another family member?).
Well I assume he knows, coz whenever he gets on their bed he is always told to get off it, and the same with the couch. and sometimes if I walk in either my parents room or the living room, and he is lying on the bed or couch, I will laugh and say ‘jake, what are you doing up there?’ and he just looks at me like ‘damn I was caught’ and when told to get off, he does.

My mum gets more annoyed at him going on the furniture than I do, so while I often laugh and am more calm, my mum just tells him ‘down’. she raises her voice, which could be seen as threatening, but she doesn’t physically do anything threatening, and she doesn’t approach him.

This rings alarm bells. He would have had a reason for not coming - and my guess is that he was already feeling worried that he would be told off or somethin like that. Something was going on in his head. The only other explanation is that he was hurting - and really felt too bad to come out. However I tend to think it would be the first reason.
I don’t think he was worried about being told off, coz he was going for a walk and if he had just come when called, I wouldn’t have known he was on the bed. But I guess I might be putting too much human thought into that… I dunno if maybe he was just really comfy, and coz of how he is feeling didn’t want to budge…

You are using the bum tapping as a "punishment" in this context - most dogs don't like being punished. It scares them esp. if they are not sure about what they have done. Because they see their owner as unpredictable esp. if there is confusion about what they are doing/allowed to do.
I know you don't see the bum tapping as a punishment really but Jake will, as he is already not doing what you ask and is already having to be "got" off.

Again, alarm bells ringing ...
sounds as if he was being passively defensive or a bit scared or possibly both. Or again, maybe he was hurting.

In this situation, not a wise move even if he is used to it. He was showing you he was very unhappy either physically or mentally ...

This is either pain or fear (or possibly even both).

It sounds as if you have done it before? If so can you explain the circumstances? I only ask because dogs will start to associate back to other experiences ... if you've ever done this before, he may have been worried you were goingto do it again, even before you did.
Ive not done it before like that, or in circumstances like that. but I once had to hold his head at the vets while she showed me how to give him his ear drops (the first time he got them) and he was whining and struggling to get away coz he obviously didn’t know what was going on. It made me feel so bad to have to restrain him like that, but I knew I had to, to help him get better.

I can understand you were scared of being bitten, we would all be the same

Again he was clearly in a bit of a state due to his body language.

This is worrying, it was almost as if he was panicking and biting without rhyme or reason. It's not good and it will get worse if he feels threatened, which I suspect was the case

Ok well that's good - also that you were able to continue after you'd been hurt as hopefully most of it was superficial (thankfully!)
Although he did bit like that, I don’t think he was trying to really hurt me, coz if he wanted to he could have. Whereas I just had a teeny cut on my finger (which happens easily, I do it all the time at work from the slightest things so if it had been anywhere else on my body it wouldn’t have broken the skin) and I just had a bruise on my face, so if he wanted it could have been much worse. so I think it was just that for some reason, he was scared or hurt and wasn’t through aggression.

I think the walk helped calm him down, and get back a bit of normality.

That's nice

Again, how do you know he knows this? I mean, how are you sure he knows it?

That's fine, but he was clearly on the couch for a while...see, that's confusing to him.
I don’t know that for definite, but I assume he does coz he is always told to get down when he goes up there. and he had been up there but I hadn’t realised. Coz I gave him a tripe stick, and he went through to the living room while I was in the kitchen, so I couldn’t see what he was doing. I thought he would just be lying on the floor with his tripe stick, coz I saw him lying down just after I gave him it.

So there are 2 occasions when he was on the couch (or previously, the bed - very similar situatoins)

Treats would have been good -probably partically defused any worries he had, so making him less reactive, and also getting him off without a struggle or conflict
And can you recall what your own body language, voice, tone, words etc were like?

I can understand why you were going carefully!
But I am sure this would be extremely threatening to Jake and I'd be seriously surprised if he was not showing something at this point - even just being very still. Or ears back, or tense mouth...it's very important to learn about such things as they give us signals as to wht the dog is thinking. They cannot talk to us, so use their own methods of communication which being humans, we often don't recognise, esp,the subtle ones.

That was predictable (probably by an experienced owner though) - not being critical, just factual

in this moment, Jake has learnt again that aggression "works" for him and helps him control the situation he is worried about. He will therefore use it again.
I know I should have used treats, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and I was just tired and wanted to get to bed. I really should have after regretting it the first time, but I think I just let my guard down after how he had been great all day and what I did wasn’t unusual for us both. My mistake, I know.

Ok I think you know all this was a big mistake - I dont understand why you continued, even after you'd had clear warnings from Jake.

Well, I do understand because what you did was a very "human" reaction

In a situation like this, the human needs to back off and let the dog get off in his own time, and then take management and training decisions completely away from the actual situation ie recognise a problem and work with it by training/behaviour modification (preferably with professional help).And keep safe!

He will soon be really not liking your hands near him in certain situations because he will think you are going to do this again - he may be OK when you are cuddling him but when there is a "situation" he is going to start going right up the "Ladder of Aggression" and this is partly because he is not being listened to....

Yes, they won't be helping. Avoid any "making" him esp, near couches, beds etc.
Either let him get off in his own time or call him or even ring the doorbell and praise him for coming off and give toys he likes ... but really, seriously do NOT confront him again as you will come off worse and Jake may end up at the vets for the last time

The irritation may well be lowering his tolerance and discomfort levels. He's very young to have physical problems and they will be affecting him, poor lad.
I know I should have stopped, but again I wasn’t thinking. It was late, and I just wanted to get to bed. But its something I have learnt, and next time I will just leave him or take a step back to think and then hopefully I will think of treats or a toy

I hope I've showed you that both times it was not really sudden (from Jake's point of view) and that esp. the second time you were setting both yourself and Jake up to fail badly (and he will remember what he did and do it more next time ... ).

Again, context. He may well be fine when there is no anxiety/stress/confusion over where he is lying... I suspect this is at the root of the problem and he is being very misunderstood.
I do see now, and I do really appreciate you taking the time to post this, and you did it in a really good way. it wasn’t critical (or at lease too critical lol) and, I am a very defensive person, due to my extremely low self-esteem so the way you put everything across was really good and I have taken it all onboard.

How does your mum deal with him, and what other family members do stuff with him, or command him? as it may have impact again on how he behaves. Eg if your mum has told him off in those situations, (very human thing to do) he is likely to react more and to not come to the human when he expects something bad to happen. Even the not coming to you is a huge warning something is amiss with him.
my mum and dad absolutely love him to pieces, and are great with him. they don’t really do any feeding (unless I am out) and they never walk him or train him. but they do play with him, a lot lol. they are more… serious I guess should be the word when he does something he shouldn’t, but they just raise their voice.

I've taken ages typing this (am not a fast typist ) so hope it has given some more insight?

It wasn't at all sudden, and Jake gave warnings that were not understood - this happens in many dog owning families.

Yes of course - you love him and he is a big part of your life. But if you love hm, you owe it to him to start understanding him as a dog, and educate yourself and your family as to how to think dog. Otherwise he will end up being put to sleep, I am pretty sure.You must get help.

Sorry to be so blunt. I am not saying this lightly, so please don't take offence - but you do need professional help from the right source, namely a reputable person form a reputable organsation IMO the situation could escalate and become more serious
Wys
xxx
he wont be PTS, unless he ever does it out of pure aggression. Which I don’t think he would do, im am becoming more aware of what I should and shouldn’t do and therefore I am determined I wont allow either of us to be put in this situation again.

thank you for taking the time to write all of that.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:47 PM
How do you stretch his mind ? What do you do to make him use his brain ? I don't mean obedience training, but getting him to work things out himself.

Have you taught him to touch your palm ? The method is simple & once he has worked out the touch you can use the word touch to teach him to do so much with him working out what you want him to do.

All my dogs do the touch & it can even be used to get a really fast good recall.

It does take patience & doesn't involve you physically touching the dog.

Teaching a dog to get off furniture is also simple but everyone needs to be"singing from the same hymn sheet"which from reading your posts it doesn't seem as if they are

My mum gets more annoyed at him going on the furniture than I do, so while I often laugh and am more calm, my mum just tells him ‘down’. she raises her voice, which could be seen as threatening, but she doesn’t physically do anything threatening, and she doesn’t approach him.
It does seem to me that you are assuming an awful lot about Jake, like he knows when he has done wrong, that he knows he can go on your bed, but no one else's & he doesn't.

Dogs are creatures of habit & routine, they actually like to have a set pattern to their days & their interaction with humans. For one person to get upset with something they do & another to laugh at the same thing

Dogs see things as threatening that humans don't, even eye contact which is crucial for humans can be threatening & challenging to a dog, the tone of voice matters an awful lot too. If you do not know realise that you may not be able to give Jake a quality of life he needs & deserves.

You really must step back & have a good long think about what you are doing wrong because Jake has no consistency in his life.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:59 PM
QUOTE FROM LOZZIBEAR "But I wasn’t annoyed or anything at the time, I wasn’t anything like that until he bit me. im usually very calm with jake, and will say things like ‘get off you big lump’ and laugh or something like that. what if a person isn’t well and their heartrate increases? Can a dog confuse that with someone being negative towards them? UNQUOTE

You see, this is just what I knew you were like with him, when I said about being too soft. If you give a command to a dog, you don't laugh, laughing is for when you're playing or out and about, but not when you're giving him a command that you want him to adhere to, and that's where I think you're going wrong Lauren. The thing is, Jake doesn't understand "get off you big lump" they only have a vocabulary of 150 words or so, and although he knows the word "off" when you put it together with a string of other words, it just confuses him. You don't have to shout or raise your voice, you just have to say it like you mean it in a normal voice and he will understand, just like he has before, but you made the BIG mistake here of adding other words and laughing of that I am sure and I already knew that!

Sorry, but I had to step him again here, because this is exactly what I was getting at, you're not consistent enough with your commands imo. In my mind, off means just that, get off, no silly talking or tapping or stringing out a sentence, leave that for when you're dishing up dinner or something and you're actually talking to Jake, or playing, but never when giving a command that you want him to obey, it only confuses them, or from what I can see now, puts fear into them for what might be coming next.

That book sounds brilliant that Wys and Ramble have picked out for you and you can only learn by reading and reading you can never have too much knowledge, I'm still learning at my ripe old age! Experience will come Lauren, but it can only be learned by trial and error I'm afraid. Good luck with Jake, try and think on what everyone's said I know it's a lot to take in!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Dogs Tap each other in Play, We Pat our Dogs for being good, Stroke them to soothe or too Teach, "smackys" for a game & to increase motivation,

My dogs Love a play Smacky, LOVE it!!!!! But if i smacked them as a correction with the same pressure they would just hate it.

Dogs know by alot of things if they are being corrected, ie if they have ignored the first command, or by your body language.

Lozzi if you want to use the tap as a command, then i would use it WITH the verbal command not after, & obviously make your tone very light!!!!, But if you use the houseline then that should do away with the tap, & tapping in the house for commands will not help your outside recall at all.(unless you do it on a line & our uber energetic)
Thanks, I will use it with a verbal command from now on.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Jake on the other hand is ignoring Lozzi, so the "off" is not working , then she backs it up with a "negative" tap"

And to be honest, until she begins to see this, then we cant help her, as she is closing her mind to all help and advice we are trying to give.
I am beginning to see it, I thought before that people had a problem with the fact I tapped him, not when I tapped him so that was what I wasn’t understanding. I now see that I should either tap him and not give a command or tap at the same time as giving a command.

Im not closing my mind to advice being given, it is a lot of information to take in at the one time! and I was defensive over how some people were putting things across! It was a big thing that happened, and I was in shock so sorry if I was emotional and already felt terrible over what happened!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Thanks, I will use it with a verbal command from now on.

I am beginning to see it, I thought before that people had a problem with the fact I tapped him, not when I tapped him so that was what I wasn’t understanding. I now see that I should either tap him and not give a command or tap at the same time as giving a command.
Im not closing my mind to advice being given, it is a lot of information to take in at the one time! and I was defensive over how some people were putting things across! It was a big thing that happened, and I was in shock so sorry if I was emotional and already felt terrible over what happened!
It would be better to forget the "tap" altogether, and work on your vocal commands.

The point is Jake see a "tap" as a negative, and you leaving the vocal command out , and going straight into the "tap" will not help him understand.

Work on vocal clear commands, keep them consistent, and you must ask the rest of your family to do the same.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Lauren before you follow the good advice given here it is important to make sure the painful condition Jake had which began in November and which cleared up temporarily only to return has now cleared up properly.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=118128
If there has been no improvement in the condition since you went last week you need to return to the vet.
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 26 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »