Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
orpheous87
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Frozen bones

I've just recently started feeding my dogs fully on raw and have just had a Natural Instinct delivery today (they get a mix of premade and DIY raw at the minute).

I was planning to feed them lamb necks today and thought I'd feed them frozen as it's warm. It will be the first time they've had this kind of bone.

If I'm feeding frozen, will they be able to eat the whole bone (more to the point, should they eat the whole bone)? If it gets too small, I will take it off them so they don't swallow it whole.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Pereg always has her bone meals frozen straight from the freezer. I buy them fresh, put in separate small polybags and open freeze, and she has them frozen.

Mostly all I can get are chicken wings, carcases, backs, turkey necks, raw sardines and pilchards which she has whole - also bought fresh and open frozen by me before being packed away.

I am unable to get lamb and have no idea what lamb necks are like, but if your dogs can chomble raw bones I do not see why they cannot eat frozen lamb necks.

But Pereg chombles whatever bone meal she is eating and does not swallow anything large. In fact at times she looks like she is chewing gum as she chombles until she has very small pieces to swallow.

The only time she swallowed something a wee bit large she promptly regurgitated it, had another chomble, and swallowed it it smaller pieces.
orpheous87
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2013, 04:48 PM
That's good to know.

They're both pretty good at crunching up their bones, but so far the only things they've had are chicken bones and a couple of lamb shoulder shanks which they handled well.

I was just a bit concerned as the lamb necks are rounder bones than any of the ones they've had previously and I was also wondering how hard freezing makes the bones.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Mine have whole lamb necks quite a lot and are fine, even my puppies have had various sizes of bones, frozen and unfrozen and nothing seems to faze them. They have all had bones since around 3 or 4 weeks old and are very experienced in this department
orpheous87
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2013, 06:30 PM
I think I was worrying for nothing - they've both ate them with no problems! I kept a close eye on them as the bone got smaller and smaller, but they were both very good at crunching them up into smaller bits before swallowing. It was nice to see them enjoying them