Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 08:56 AM

Advice please!

My mum lives next to an old man that owns a 13 year old Yorkshire terrier. The dog used to be my sisters dog until about 5 or 6 years ago but she was having a lot of trouble with her being aggressive with her other dogs (2 Bichon Bitches) She actually nearly killed one of my sisters Bichons whilst she was working part time. My sister came home to find one of her female Bichons (who was a really lovely docile dog) with its ear nearly ripped off and covered in blood and she had to be rushed to the vets Anyway after this she couldn't leave them together again so my brother in law started taking the Yorkshire terrier to work with him for a while.

Anyway she got talking to a couple who lived next to my mums and the lady said they used to have a Yorkie and would love to have Lucy. Well Lucy got a good home with them and was pampered and well loved. The lady died about 2 years afterwards and now the man has Lucy on his own. Well this man goes away and leaves her in the house on her own with just someone coming in to walk and feed her, which I don't agree with at all Well now the man is in hospital and the couple who live in the flat above him look after her through the day I think but put her back in her own flat at night The lady has told my mum that they are going away on holiday in a couple of weeks and there is no-one who can look after the old mans dog if he is still in hospital so does anybody know what happens to dogs that old people have when they go into hospital and there is nobody else willing to look after her She isn't good with young children and would bite them if they annoyed her so I couldn't have her and she isn't good with other dogs especially bitches.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Could you maybe find someone who will foster her, while he is in hospital....Sound as if the poor we girl could do with some tlc...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the reply Moli. How would I go about finding someone to foster her have you any idea. Nobody I know would do it. Is there some organisation I could ring that would help do you know. She is a lovely dog with adults and she even laughs when you talk to her (she shows her teeth but not in a snarling way) If the old man dies then the couple who are looking after her now (who also have a dog of their own - a GSD) aren't willing to take her on full-time because the lady looks after a small child and she says that it would be too dangerous.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Can she be put into boarding kennels while the carers are on holiday?

If the owner should die there are organizations that will look after the dogs left behind. They are called Legacy Dogs by one organization here. Could you contact a few dog welfare charities/organizations to find out what the options are? Maybe Yorkie Rescue could help sort it out?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Can she be put into boarding kennels while the carers are on holiday?

If the owner should die there are organizations that will look after the dogs left behind. They are called Legacy Dogs by one organization here. Could you contact a few dog welfare charities/organizations to find out what the options are? Maybe Yorkie Rescue could help sort it out?

Hi Shadowboxer and thanks for replying I doubt they would put her in boarding kennels because the carers wouldn't pay for it and the old man is in hospital and I don't know whether he is up to asking what is going to happen to his dog or not (I don't really know how bad he is or what is wrong with him, I only found out on Sunday that he was in hospital through speaking to my mum and she isn't really a reliable source of information because she is 80 and forgets a lot these days ) I will have a word with my mum and see if she can find out whether the carers have sorted something out yet because surely they won't just leave the dog knowing no-one will feed it or anything
deva
New Member!
Female 

19-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Hi,

The Cinnamon Trust is a charity especially set up for the elderly and their pets. I believe help ranges from dog walking, and popping in and feeding, etc, to fostering (don't know that much about it so not sure) but they might be able to help...worth a shot anyway.

Cinnamon Trust
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by deva
Hi,

The Cinnamon Trust is a charity especially set up for the elderly and their pets. I believe help ranges from dog walking, and popping in and feeding, etc, to fostering (don't know that much about it so not sure) but they might be able to help...worth a shot anyway.

Cinnamon Trust

Aww thanks for that Deva, I will take a look
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by deva
Hi,

Cinnamon Trust
Well done Deva - that is the sort of thing I was thinking of
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 08:31 PM
oh foxy im so sorry,, poor dog,, so nice of you to do all you can to help out,, im sure one of the organisations mentioned by the other posters will be glad to help
keep us posted x x x
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 09:49 PM
have u tried the dog warden? they shud be able to provide u with some advice and contact details of places that might be able to help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >