View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
B1llysMum
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Do I call my puppy a Pedigree for insurance?

I'm organising insurance for Billy, our Cocker Spaniel puppy we bought from a rescue centre at 14 weeks old. He has no pedigree paperwork and is not KC registered but our vet confirms he is an English Cocker Spaniel (show). Can anyone please tell me if I class him as pedigree for insurance purposes or should I say crossbreed? I don't want to give the insurance company any excuses for not paying out...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I was never asked for any papers to prove my GSD was a purebreed when I make several claims for her through insurance. I think you're more likely to get in trouble for calling a purebred a cross than anything else (because it tends to make premiums cheaper!), the fact that your vets have her registered as a Cocker Spaniel should be fine.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Ring the insurance company, explain and ask.

Insurance companies have habit of trying not to pay out so make sure you take a name and extension number of the person you are talking to so that you can confirm the conversation
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
They usually just want to know the breed, because some breeds are excluded.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Whether or not you have papers or KC registration is immaterial.

She is still a cocker spaniel..................!
As you have "prior knowledge" from the vet re breed you cannot call it something else.
B1llysMum
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies Ladies, I'm new to the minefield of dog insurance so thought I'd better check before I register him as a Cocker Spaniel only to find out I have to have paperwork to prove it. Pedigree it is.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I wasnt questioned by Pet Plan when they asked what breed Bella was , they accepted my reply and her insurance is more expensive than Toms who is a lurcher. Crossbreeds have the benefit of being cheaper to insure. Interstingly they never ask what the cross is either because in my opinion it could bring more insurance claims that a purebred depending on the cross.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I have a GWP rescue with papers who is insured as a GWP cross. She is down as that at the vet to.
Most people think she is a lurcher anyway.