Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
If/when I get my toller puppy, I would consider it. I've been putting a lot of thought into how to potentially raise a puppy around work. I work full time but the OH and I have flexible hours and potential to sometimes work from home. I'd plan to take as much time off of work as possible to settle it in, then when I have to go back the OH will take some time off so it won't be alone in the early months, but then I've been considering how to care for the puppy after this. Until it's old enough and settled enough to be alone for 3-4 hours until the dog walker comes in, I need alternative care. I'm considering a home dog carer/nice neighbour ideally however I would definately consider doggy daycare, but possibly only half days so thr dog gets some downtime in thr afternoon.
When mine was 6 months the dog walker came to the house to play with the dog for an hour at lunchtime.

This continued until my dog was a year old when she was left all day.

That arrangement continued for 5 years until I got my present job which means the dogs go with me.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
When mine was 6 months the dog walker came to the house to play with the dog for an hour at lunchtime.

This continued until my dog was a year old when she was left all day.

That arrangement continued for 5 years until I got my present job which means the dogs go with me.
Thanks SB, that's interesting to read I know a lot of people don't think that you should have a doggy at all if you work full time, and certainly not a puppy! But I think with effort, time and a bit of planning, it can be. Good to hear that it can!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Toby used to go to a lovely daycare (which unfortunately had to close due to rent increases). There was a large yard with an old stable block which had been converted into three rooms. One was open to the yard and had some beds etc available all the time. One was heated with crates, beds etc for quiet time. One had straw and tunnels and other fun things in it. There was also a very large enclosed field and the downstairs area in the house. The dogs were in groups of about 4 and were rotated around the areas, so there was running around time, chilling time and playtime. When they were in the yard they would be able to join in with playing or take them selves off for a nap if they prefered. The older dogs would be able to go in the house if they needed some peace and the younger ones went in there for a quiet nap when required too. They also had a smaller run in the yard if a dog was getting too hyped up and needed some time out. The dogs were grouped on size and energy.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3