View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Im sorry, no the essance of a hairless dog, is thats its just that!. They dog should be judged with what theyve got.

Theres a big difference to Tidying up a breed to completly diferent altering its coat.

you may as well paint spots on a dallie.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Im sorry, no the essance of a hairless dog, is thats its just that!. They dog should be judged with what theyve got.

Theres a big difference to Tidying up a breed to completly diferent altering its coat.

Tidying up the bum fluff hairs on a CC is no different than a poodle being shaved , or a terrier/gun dog and so on beign stripped.

You are altering all these coats in doing this from a natural state to a coat that shows the dog off to its best.

there are very few breeds (other than those with short coats and those who are shown in a natural coat) that dont need some form of dressing, before they show.

Even short coated breeds will have the stray hairs trimmed .
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Tidying up the bum fluff hairs on a CC is no different than a poodle being shaved , or a terrier/gun dog and so on beign stripped.

You are altering all these coats in doing this from a natural state to a coat that shows the dog off to its best.

there are very few breeds (other than those with short coats and those who are shown in a natural coat) that dont need some form of dressing, before they show.

Even short coated breeds will have the stray hairs trimmed .

We will disagree then i think it is the whole WORLD of difference
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post

What about glueing Collies ears down to get the exhibitors "preferred" look?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So Chaz, what yo urea dis correct. they also suffer with skin problems (spots) and thats another story on how to keep them at bay.

Was the article by Jemima Harrison, because she has been on a witch hunt of the breed for a while now, and exhibitors where warned of her interest on their breed, as she was planning an "out" at Crufts.
Yes it was by Jemima Harrison, she talked a bit about all the types in the breed, saying that there is more like 3 types of cc, powder puff, hairless and true hairless, and she mentioned the truely hairless having bad teeth because of a gene assocaited with the hairlessness, and then she talked about some other stuff, including how she got told from a groomer that they have seen some dogs of this breed scream when people come near them, which tbh if they are being waxed by their owners wouldn't surpise me, and she included a KC response, and then she had been sent a email that was from a CC breeder and emailed to other CC breeders telling them not to shave the dogs at crufts, that she was planning another documentry (which from the article it didn't seem so) and this was forwarded from a concered breeder/exhibitor, but she did go round crufts with a vet, and they looked at some of the CC's and they showed a picture of a dog looking very pink and sore which was presumably from shaving, but then I think that a mans razor if it was to be used in such a way is a bit different to a dog shaver, and could cause soreness, although I did some more looking on google this morning, as I'm still a bit undecided whether waxing actuall occurs, and if it does, then anyone who waxes a dog needs done for animal cruetly IMO, and I found a breeders site, where what I copied and pasted earlier was on there, but a bit more detail, here it is, about the grooming of the CC's. I say more detail as it says about some other stuff to begin with too.

Unless the dog is a "True" Hairless (one with virtually no hair growth on non-extremities), trimming and/or shaving must be performed to remove stubble growth. Many owners use a clipper for the face and ears and to remove any longer growth that was allowed to occur, and then use a variety of methods to achieve complete hair removal of non-extremeties. Commonly used methods include a man's razor and hypoallergenic shaving cream, waxing, and electric razors. Some people have had success with hair removal cream, although one should be sure to apply an amount to a small test area to be sure no adverse reaction occurs.
http://flutterbykennel.com/about.html
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Oh for heavens sake - I find all this talk about waxing, shaving and cutting of whiskers rather disturbing. Why oh why can't a dog be a natural specimen of what nature intended it to be. A good dog of whatever breed should be able to look it best with simple grooming and routine care. A dog needs its whiskers; they are there for a purpose and apart from general tidying up and grooming to keep healthy I think it is abhorrent to primp and preen a dog for the show ring - I feel this is for the owner's prestige and the hope of winning and the gratification that comes with a win, rather than for the benefit of the dog. I am also totally against docking, ear cropping and all the other manipulations that we humans are guilty of. Sorry, but this is how I feel. We should be able to enjoy our dogs as they are, not as how we would like them to be, or how we think they should look
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Yes it was by Jemima Harrison, she talked a bit about all the types in the breed, saying that there is more like 3 types of cc, powder puff, hairless and true hairless, and she mentioned the truely hairless having bad teeth because of a gene assocaited with the hairlessness, and then she talked about some other stuff, including how she got told from a groomer that they have seen some dogs of this breed scream when people come near them, which tbh if they are being waxed by their owners wouldn't surpise me, and she included a KC response, and then she had been sent a email that was from a CC breeder and emailed to other CC breeders telling them not to shave the dogs at crufts, that she was planning another documentry (which from the article it didn't seem so) and this was forwarded from a concered breeder/exhibitor, but she did go round crufts with a vet, and they looked at some of the CC's and they showed a picture of a dog looking very pink and sore which was presumably from shaving, but then I think that a mans razor if it was to be used in such a way is a bit different to a dog shaver, and could cause soreness, although I did some more looking on google this morning, as I'm still a bit undecided whether waxing actuall occurs, and if it does, then anyone who waxes a dog needs done for animal cruetly IMO, and I found a breeders site, where what I copied and pasted earlier was on there, but a bit more detail, here it is, about the grooming of the CC's. I say more detail as it says about some other stuff to begin with too.

http://flutterbykennel.com/about.html
Oh well it must be true then!

The whiskers on Spaniels are trimmed off for the show ring, be it with scissors or clippers. I'm not a huge fan of doing it tbh, but the dogs never seem to mind. I've certainly not noticed any difference in Isla bumping into doors and walls since her whiskers have been left intact that's for sure!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
What about glueing Collies ears down to get the exhibitors "preferred" look?
I find it DISGUSTING, tbh. & looks fake on dogs that shouldnt have semi pricked ears
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 02:46 PM
The hairless cresteds do indeed have varying amount of body hair. This has occured due to breeders selecting for longer head, tail and foot plumes and crests. The early Cresteds where almost totally hairless like the mexican hairless is today.
Therefore some hairless are hairy and would have their body hair removed for showing. However, I think waxing is taking it way too far as I can only imagine how painful that would be for the dogs.
And yes the hairless gene in the cresteds does affect the dentition.
Becky
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 01:17 PM
right i knew this would come out eventually. the CCs at crufts were meant to be sabotaged by dogs today after the whole program there were rumours that they were making a program and theres been quite a whoo hah about it all because some breeders wanted to stay quiet and some wanted to say "yeah you know what, we do do that"

when a CC is being shaved it is usually the hairless. the hairless sometimes have a thin coat of hair or random patches, so before shows most exhibitors will shave it off either with an electric razor, or with hair removal cream.

powderpuffs are shave too, but not completely. their trim for the ring is the nose and a v shape on the chest. other than that they are left natural (except like some have pointed out people trying to pass PPs off as hairless)

hope ive helped a bit here.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »