View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:19 PM
why were these dogs allowed to mate in the first place?! like a dog knows it's wrong to do it with it's daughter lol.
If a females onheat he's gonna go for it!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Accidents happen.
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:25 PM
can't have an accident if they're neutered, I thought it was quite frowned upon not to get it done, now I'm hearing vets are telling people it might be for the dogs benefit to leave them be!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:29 PM
We all make our own decisions, if there is no reason to get a dog neutered many of us do not!
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
We all make our own decisions, if there is no reason to get a dog neutered many of us do not!
Interesting, my vet told me I should, and I was going to before he said that anyway. The reasons being that the dog would run after bitches, get into fights with other dogs, hump everything in sight, be frustrated and not being able to mate. My personal reason is that I want a cute cuddly dog that will be my baby forever, the testicles bobbing wround between his legs may take away from the cuteness.
Also reasons for that I've read up on would be to prevent realted health problems such as prostate problems, cancer etc, and in bitches,things such as phantom pregnancies, which a dog of mine suffered and caused most of her hair to fall out.
Are there reasons not to do it that would benefit the animal?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Had to laugh at idea that neutering is a cure for dogs sexual desires. My current neutered male is more trouble than any of the stud dogs I've kept. I've kept males & females all my life & while I've been careful I've never had any problems. Have now had two neutered males. The first one was manageable with my current bitch & once she said no he respected her & my only problem was on the two days when she said yes. However this latest dog is totally different & speying the bitch is the only thing thats given me peace at home & he's still a problem at times when we are out.
As for father daughter matings or mother son I'd have the injection any day if such an accident occured I've known two or three bitches belongig to friends who have had it done & its worked on every occasion & the only problems they had were that the season went on for longer.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:24 PM
My neighbours found their neutered dog tied with their bitch, they also didn't think it was possible, they thought because he had no 'nuts' (their words not mine) that he would no longer get the urge....lol.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I know this is really old, but im sorry an 'accident' like this should never happen.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-02-2011, 11:02 PM
If it happens once it can happen twice.It takes dedication
and a sharp eye to keep entire males and females together.Plus of course a kennel to keep one of them in when 'that time' comes around.Not a job for the average pet owner.
As always it's man that makes the mistake and dogs that pay the price.Sigh.
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:55 AM
wow, really thought it was necessary to neuter males mostly to prevent the unwanted humping and stuff and going after bitches. I spose it's better to be safe than sorry so I'm still going to get it done, my vet told me 8 or 9 months is the earliest he'd advise getting my boy "done", does that sound right?
At least now I wont surprised if he humps stuff afterwards, I just assumed nuetering prevented that and all stud dogs were a nightmare. you learn something every day!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >