View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 07:37 PM

I'm having Monty tested/Monty miserable (updated at post 125)

As per the title really, Monty has been incredibly miserable over the last week or so - we've been calling him Christmas Grinch.

Anyway it was amusing for the first few days and now i'm quite worried about him. He's being walked as normal and it's only been today that he's not had a walk but all he wants to do is sleep. We try and initiate some play with him but he's not interested.

He literally gets up to eat and go out to the loo and then he goes back in front of the fire to sleep.

Is anyone else's dog like this and should i be more worried about him?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 07:40 PM
could be just the cold and he isnt impressed with it,

is his nose dry / wet. ears etc ok?
is he eating ok and pooping ok ?

maybe he just isnt in to the winter !!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 07:43 PM
could be the cold he doesn't like, or he could be poorly. get him checked out, just to put your mind at rest!
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2010, 07:44 PM
I wonder if he is just having a slight down time. I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but when it gets colder Oscar sometimes goes off walks and just sleeps for days. Then he livens up again.

Is Monty eating ok? Drinking ok?

If it was me I would see how he goes over the weekend and if he is still like this on Monday pop him in to the vets for a check over. If anything changes then I'd think about phoning (or popping on here and hoping someone more knowledgeable than me turns up and answers).

It's hard to know - he could be feeling under the weather, cold, having a post-christmas dip (did you have more people than normal around at Christmas?) or just feeling sleepy today.

I hope Monty gets back to his normal self soon and there is nothing wrong with him. Do keep us posted!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
could be just the cold and he isnt impressed with it,

is his nose dry / wet. ears etc ok?
is he eating ok and pooping ok ?

maybe he just isnt in to the winter !!!
Looks healthy and is eating/pooing just fine. I thought it might be the cold or whether he's sensing that we'll be going back to work soon or that it's just because Xmas is so hectic

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
could be the cold he doesn't like, or he could be poorly. get him checked out, just to put your mind at rest!
I'm going to see how he is over the weekend and decide what to do on Monday.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I've heard that some dogs can get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) somewhere, I wonder if he's got something like that.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I would be concerned, he's a young dog, he shouldn't want to sleep like that, can you take his temperature??? That could put your mind at rest or set alarm bells ringing! I hope he perks up for you, but it would worry me with such a young dog if his walks are the same length as usual and you haven't been wearing him out? Georgie sleeps a lot at home but he's old, whereas Zena hardly ever sleeps until the evening and even then she only naps for 10 mins a time, not like you're describing. Good luck anyways
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I have been having the same conversation with myself about Molly she seems really down too, can't put my finger on anything specific just moping around! I am going to give it the weekend and see how she is on Monday, think thats a wise move for you too and put our minds at rest!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 09:24 PM
He's just been out for a poo and has perked up a bit and is now playing tug so hopefully he's ok.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 10:13 PM
My GSP is 21 months and has a similar shape and coat to your Monty. He has been perfectly normal out on his walks and is eating and pooing normally but he has been much sleepier since the cold weather started. I think the cold sucks the energy out of him. I would say it could be that but you said today he didn't want to go out at all. As has been said see how he goes over the weekend.
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »