View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Of course on top of the breed traits, also look at the health sides of all breeds concerned and make sure you check this out with breeders to see the relevant paperwork for it etc.

The Mal club has a website, have a look on there too.

Good luck whichever you decide on
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I always find going to shows to view the dogs a best way of judging which you prefer.

There is a show in Scotland where you will see the Northern Inuit Dogs coming up in August.
Try visiting websites of each Mal & NI owners as well as their clubs/societies. The more you research, the more knowledge you will gain and know which is the right decision. Good luck.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Be very careful and check the background, if available, as there has been an above average incidence of epilepsy in NIs of late probably emanating from the GSDs but could be from any breed that is used in these dogs. Just take care, to have a dog with this complaint is heart breaking and the dog needs medication for the rest of its life.

Not suggesting that Mals do not have problems too but you will find it much easier to research into the background.

Not sure why people think they look alike, only need to look at the bone in all the Husky type crosses I have seen and they are very different, mind you I have seen one Mal that was rather short of both bone and coat so may be they can be confused.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 01:22 PM
like luz says,if your intrested in northern inuits, come along to one of the northern inuit shows. to see 40 to 50 northern inuits off lead and rnning round playing together is fantastic and speaks volumes .
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Sprocket, I am so glad you asked this question.
I have no intention of getting another dog of any description, but I have found all these replies very interesting.
I had trouble distinguishing between these dogs, probably will still, but I have always liked the look of the husky.
Now I know the problems associated with them I certainly wouldn't consider owning one.
Good replies everyone.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Sprocket, I am so glad you asked this question.
I have no intention of getting another dog of any description, but I have found all these replies very interesting.
I had trouble distinguishing between these dogs, probably will still, but I have always liked the look of the husky.
Now I know the problems associated with them I certainly wouldn't consider owning one.
Good replies everyone.
Any well bred Mal is easily distinguishable from any other sled breed or nothern breed, they are the largest, the harshest coat with symetrical markings. The problem for others in distinguishing between the NI IMO is that so many look so different when you see them out and about, so not so easy to tell, but they have a very short coat, much shorter and flatter than the sibe or the mal.

Hope that helps
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Please do research whichever breed you are interested in, we had Danes many years ago, 17 infact lol, and they are very very different to the NI, mine can be stubborn when they want and , like the Mals, i am inundated with large clumps of floating hair, saying that, they are a happy bunch that love people and life in general lol. good luck with your new chosen breed
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 02:01 PM
northern inuits have a thick dense coat,
sprocket
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
Please do research whichever breed you are interested in, we had Danes many years ago, 17 infact lol, and they are very very different to the NI, mine can be stubborn when they want and , like the Mals, i am inundated with large clumps of floating hair, saying that, they are a happy bunch that love people and life in general lol. good luck with your new chosen breed
Oooh bet your legs were sore with the whips you get of their tails ...I know each breed is different and my rascal mutt just now casts shes a cross between a border/ bearded collie with a lurcher so im used to tumble weeds floating by the laminate flooring whilst watching tv and looking like a mohair jumper when going out ! Just the norm for me
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Any well bred Mal is easily distinguishable from any other sled breed or nothern breed, they are the largest, the harshest coat with symetrical markings. The problem for others in distinguishing between the NI IMO is that so many look so different when you see them out and about, so not so easy to tell, but they have a very short coat, much shorter and flatter than the sibe or the mal.

Hope that helps
Originally Posted by juliekelham View Post
northern inuits have a thick dense coat,
I Said, 'MUCH shorter and flatter than a sibe or mal'. Aesthetically !

Don't start an argument Julie, everyone else knows what I mean, as do you, dont make every NI thread an argument as usual.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »