Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sherriboo
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2008, 01:08 AM

Important Information needed!!

Hi everyone, My boyfriend and I are new to this site and was wondering if someone can give us some advice about our new additions to our family.

Two days ago my boyfriends ex wife moved to florida and took his 2 little chihuaha's with her. Well a day and a half ago we adopted to Pom's Pom's locally here where we live. We fell in love with them completely at first site.

Well we were wondering if anyone on here possibly has any experience with Pom's and any advice about vitamins or supplements we can give them to maybe brighten and liv'in them up a bit.

We've come to the conclusion the male was probably abused he's very head shy but getting better. The little girl is cuddly but seems very tired and sleeps alot.

I know they are older the male is thought to be turning 11 in August and the little girl 10 in October, but they still have alot of spunk and we're just wondering what is the best way to bring this out more.

We were also wondering about their teeth. We read that they are not known for having good teeth well the person we got them from didn't brush them and take care of them the way they should have been so we have a long road ahead of us getting them healthy and back on track. Does anyone know what we are in store for we're not worried about cost just the time we're looking at getting them reajusted

Thanx so much in advance.
Sherri & Matt
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2008, 02:38 AM
Cute pups! My advice re. something to 'brighten them up' is to give them a bit of time to settle in. Especially if they are rescues. You'l find they will come out of their shell once they have gotten to know you.
As for teeth well im no expert on Poms but iv found the smaller the dog the sharper the teeth and the harder it is to get a look at them lol. But thats only my experience. If you can get a look at them and see some plaque build up try some toys or bones designed for cleanin teeth. Or get a finger brush and get them used to it first by showing them it and letting them sniff it. If in doubt and you think their teeth are bad then maybe a vets visit might be worth it to not stress them out. They can get sedated and a good look at the teeth and cleaning can be done.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 06:58 AM
I agree with Flynn - give them a chance, and they'll brighten up in their own time.

As for any suspected health problems, as they are new to you, I would get them health checked at the vets.

Good luck with them - they are delightful
Sherriboo
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2008, 04:56 PM
We're taking them to the vet the middle of Feb once we get them really settled.

This Thursday they are going to our local shelter where they give rabies shots on Thursday for 5 dollars just to get them partically back on track.

They teeth are beyond the brushing stage they are horrible bad breathe included. We'll find out more at the vet next month.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Sheriboo, I would wait on the vaccs - they should be health checked first as vaccinations should`nt be given to any dogs which may have an existing health issue, [ or rather without being given a general clean bill of health I mean ], including if there is any infection in the gums from possibly bad teeth - I would urge you to bring the vet check forward and wait on the vaccs til they have been looked over, it won`t affect the settling in time they need as the environment of the vets is completely different to the home, and really, if you feel they are up to being taken to a shelter for rabies jabs then they should be fine for a vet check-up now so try not to worry on that score

Congratulations on your two new beauties and its wonderful that you have given your hearts to two dogs of mature years, bless you
Sherriboo
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I got their past vet records and took them to my vet to look over and they said their records look pretty good. Other than the problem with their teeth nothing seems to be really anything big or alarming.

My vet had advised us to go ahead and get their rabies shots Pooh is not due until Sept but Cara is overdue. Since it would be much cheaper for us thier through the shelter. Seeing how we have a long road ahead of us with their teeth. So they said go ahead and get Pooh's updated at the same time just so they will be on the same date and easier to keep track of.

I trust my vet I've been taking cats and dogs there for a long time. He's been our care doctor and our time of need doctor. He put down one of my moms doggys about 3 months ago He actually cried with me and hugged me as I held him while they put down him down we had him since was 8 weeks old and that vet was the only one Bijou have ever seen. And he was 11 when he got put down.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Ah, I thought they had`nt had their first visit yet, I must have misunderstood as I thought you meant you were waiting for them to settle in first, my apologies

A day and a half is such a short time, they are bound to be a bit bewildered and withdrawn so don`t worry about trying to bring them out of their shells right away, once they get to know you and their new life they will brighten up, and part of helping them do that is to give them time and space, don`t try to rush things or `overly` fuss around them - start as you mean to go on and let them know normality from the off, then they will soon relax
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I have a pom......... our vet said tooth care is very important for poms, believe me give them time they will liven up.
My little lad is 1 yr old now, and always on the go, similar colour to yours as well.
Be prepared for them to become the boss, my lad trys to rule my other 2, very head strong, playful, always ready for a cuddle, but worth it.
They are big dogs in little bodys!
Sherriboo
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I have a pom......... our vet said tooth care is very important for poms, believe me give them time they will liven up.
My little lad is 1 yr old now, and always on the go, similar colour to yours as well.
Be prepared for them to become the boss, my lad trys to rule my other 2, very head strong, playful, always ready for a cuddle, but worth it.
They are big dogs in little bodys!

Yea we read in a pom book about thier teeth. I'm actually pretty disappointed in the girl we got them from that she didn't take better care of them. She said she had to find them homes because she didn't have time for them anymore. Well she let them sit in a crate for the longest time and such. And with how bad their teeth are you can tell their best interest of health shouldn't have gone this unattended before she decides to find them a home.

Cara is just as happy as can be to sit and sleep on her back with her feet in the air so I can scratch her belly till she falls asleep. Pooh bear is a man's dog wants nothing to do with me lol. He's up Matt's but it's funny actually. I'll let them out to do thier business and Cara will come in when I call them and Pooh will stand there and look at me like " whatever" Matt walks out and goes "come on Poohsy" and he walked right in the door. lol
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Must admit buds takes more notice of me.... how old are yours?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >