View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 09:27 AM
i will be nervous, but i am going to just think of it as a game......fun, it's the taking part thats fun (thats the theory anyway )

Emma
x
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

23-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Glad I'm not the only one that feels sicks when they have to go in the ring I still get butterflies after showing for many years when my class is called I even get it at match nights when I go to ringcraft. It is useful to go to a few shows to see what dogs are around, I am looking for a fawn dog for my Lilly but as I haven't been in the ring for a while am a bit stuck as I don't know the pedigrees and don't know whether to outcross totally or stay with my lines.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi Gem, people already established in dogs usually advise showing for new wouldbe breeders, as a means of gathering knowledge. They encourage you to put yourself among enthusiasts, breeders and like minded folk, so that you can develop your eye for a breed, and ask questions of people who will know the answers. You must see that taking an oportunity to see multiple examples of a given breed all in the same place at the same time has its advantages.

Of course you do not have to show to attend a dog show. However I imagine that at some point in your breeding career, you might want to test your best against the rest. That is if you really think you have a good one, I'm assuming that it's good Leonbergers you want to breed, not just Leonbergers. There's no skill required for putting any two Leonbergers together and getting puppies to sell. The skill is finding the very best bitch puppy that you can afford, rearing her well, her passing all her KC/BVA health tests and then selecting a stud dog of complimentary pedigree and quality, and breeding a healthy quality litter. With some luck as well, you might find you've bred a decent one to keep and breed on from. The rest will make (hopefully) healthy pets for nice families.

Sorry you have decided against the Irish Setter.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2004, 10:26 AM
I would love to show dogs! Just have to get a show quality dog tho

Saffy cant be shown because shes white and Max is to timid
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 10:30 AM
who knows what the future holds Roxy
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2004, 10:39 AM
You are right Emma you never know whats round the corner
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey

Sorry you have decided against the Irish Setter.
I do love them nursey, its just i dont think i could realistically give one the best life they deserve. In terms of exercise, i would hate to deprive such a gorgeous dog, of what they so much need and love!
Also the bloat really scares me!

thanks for all the advice, i wouldnt mind showing once in a while as you say to see how my dog compare to some of the winning dogs, but certainly wouldnt want to do it all the same, it freaked me out last time!!

Not sounding big headed atall, but im going to try my hardest to breed the best leo puppies around, even if it means using studs from germany!
If a bitch i buy isnt perfect for breeding, i wont use her, everything is going to be well researched and planned before i even get her which will be at least 2 years yet!

again thank you i appreciate all your help
Meg
Supervisor

02-07-2004, 12:04 AM
[everything is going to be well researched and planned before i even get her which will be at least 2 years yet!]:
Hi Gems, it sounds as if you have put a lot of thought into what you want to do. I would advise joining the breed club, I would think there is one, probably online too? That way you get to know the breeders and they you so that when you come to buy your puppy you will have built a trust with the breeders and they will be more ready to help you. Most clubs also have their own breed shows and fun days..another chance to mix with the breeders view the dogs and chat about who has litters due. Don't be afraid to talk to the breeders, most people are more than happy to talk about their dogs I know nothing at all about your chosen breed but they do look lovely, I would guess the puppies are pretty expensive and there are pitfalls with breeding dogs as I am sure you are well aware. Gems I hope you eventually get the puppy of your choice and that you get as much fun and enjoyment from breeding dogs as I have.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2004, 04:42 AM
I think only best should be bred to best, but showing doesn't always support that. Many times fads within a breed change and best is not being bred at all. In the US much of the time from what I've heard, winning is based on how well you are in the in crowd, who lends their timeshare in the Riviera to the judges, etc. Is it like that in the UK?
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

02-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Over here the latest Champion get used by everyone which shrinks the gene pool especially in certain colours. I think a good example of the breed is as good as any Champion, although I have chosen a Champion for Lilly's next mating but he is typical of what I like in a Dane the Champion bit is an added bonus.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >