Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 10:32 PM

Vaccinations/parvo problem

Okay we had Loki's first boosters done last year and the vets used Duramune.

Duramune actually cover the three main diseases for three years so we were going to try to just have him done for parinfluenza and lepto.

Vet has changed to Procyon. On discussion the reason seems to be that this offers better immunity for a new strain of parvo that has hit a couple of estates in two of our surrounding towns. Vet says after the initial vax, the main three are covered for three years with only the parainfluenza and lepto being done yearly.

But vet advises we do the full whack, even though Loki had his first year boosters last year. So he should be covered for the main three diseases, other than this new strain of parvo.

I'm tempted to try to insist that he just has a Procyon booster as Loki doesn't have much contact with other dogs but was told parvo can be transmitted through faeces.

Anyone out there with any knowledge of vax?????

Vet also says he vaccinates lots of dogs with epilepsy and doesn't think it affects them.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Epilepsy or not I would insist that you only vacc for what's absolutely needed.

There's lots of controversy over vaccs and the reason that most dog owners I know only vacc every 3 years now, instead of annually.

Don't let your vet bully you into vaccinating for more than you already think is needed, they only see $$$$$$$ you see the health of your dog !
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks Malady - that is how I feel. It's such a foggy area.